WOTC Forced DNDTOOLS.EU To Shut Down and I am OUTRAGED (Emparawr)

Endarire

First Post
Originally posted by Emparawr:

Persoanlly I am outraged by this. WOTC no longer even supports dnd 3.0 or 3.5 and hasnt for years. dndtools.eu was a fantastic, fan made site, to catalogue and archive these treasured editions for those who still enjoy them and want to honor the past. This site was a fantastic tool the likes of which wotc has never and will never even attempt to create. It didnt effect the business model of 4th or 5th edition in the least and yet WOTC still used their law firm to force dndtools.eu to shut down. I have been buying WOTC products since I was 10 years old buying beta edition magic cards when they were first released, but for the first time ever, I am ashamed of this company and they should be ashamed of themselves as well. WOTC has gotten too big, too greedy, and too selfish, and I personally will not be buying ANY WOTC products any time soon in protest and I am going to encourage all of my friends to do the same. There are lots of other pen and paper rpgs out there and lots of other tcgs as well, and although I have been an ardent supporter of WOTC for nearly 2/3 of my life, this is just too much and proves to me that they have become just another corporation that doesnt care about their fans, their supporters, or their customers. It is a truly sad day.

Originally posted by RPGBG:

I don't think you are aiming your frustration incorrectly. The problem is not WOTC, the problem is HASBRO.

Originally posted by Krusk:

dndtools was a blatant copyright violation against things in instances where copyright was applied reasonably*. I'm shocked it lasted this long. It was handy when you needed a quick referece for what book something was in, but it was frequently wrong when it came to actual content. This made DMing a pain when your players use it for building PCs. I'd regulalrly have to point them to the actual book or errata and show them that etools was just wrong.

I'm not sad, and I'm not suprised. This is the risk you take when you are doing something you know is illegal and public (whether moral or not). You know eventually someone is going to come and shut it down. Just move to any of the other 4000 pirated sources.

*WoTC printed books and sold them. Your FLGS resells used copies of these books. This site copied down the content of those books and republished it without permission. This wasn't content that was 20+ years old, hard to find, too expensive for what it was, or even super profitable for anyone involved.

Originally posted by Slagger_the_Chuul:

Krusk wrote:Your FLGS resells used copies of these books.
I think my own FLGS even has new (that is, non-used) copies of some of the later reprint versions from 3.5.

Originally posted by Krusk:

Mine has new copies of the reprints. Those were a really solid purchase. My old core books were getting worn, and this had all the changes built right in.

Originally posted by NineInchNall:

Except for some weirdness, like the choker not having quickness, the reprints are great.

Originally posted by Andarious-Rosethorn:

That may have been a fix, but probably wasn't.

I can't imagine it was unintentional, since they removed it from both the special qualities line and the full text description, but chokers are certainly nothing special without it. I wonder if they would have done the same with Tomb Motes (if Libris Mortis were ever reprinted).

Originally posted by NineInchNall:

It probably wasn't intentional, given that the SRD still has choker quickness. What likely happened was this:

There were multiple print runs of the 3.5 Monster Manual. Choker quickness was missing in some of these (evidenced by this thread from 2009.) WotC probably used one of those print runs as the basis for the reprints, unaware that there was an error in them. It's the kind of completely understandable error you get from having multiple printings of a large, detailed document.

*shrug*

NineInchNall wrote:It probably wasn't intentional, given that the SRD still has choker quickness. What likely happened was this:

There were multiple print runs of the 3.5 Monster Manual. Choker quickness was missing in some of these (evidenced by this thread from 2009.) WotC probably used one of those print runs as the basis for the reprints, unaware that there was an error in them. It's the kind of completely understandable error you get from having multiple printings of a large, detailed document.

*shrug*
I hadn't heard of it being missing from an earlier print run, though that would then beg the question of how it happened in the first place. In the linked thread, one of the comments indicates it could be missing due to the monster entry running across pages (and presumably cutting off the end of the choker entry), though that wouldn't explain the absence of the ability from the special qualities line of the statistics block, which is at the start of the monster entry.

Remove ads