WotC Forum Closure Delayed?

The original announcement for the closure of WotC's forums was that they would close today, October 29th, at 10pm PT (5am Oct 30th GMT). As of today, a short sentence appeared on the Magic: The Gathering forums that "The closing date for the Community Forums will now be November 5 at 10AM PT." Whether that applies to the D&D forums remains to be seen (I guess we'll find out very shortly). November 5th is, of course, a day where folks celebrate things burning! So either the D&D forums will close in five hours, or they won't...

1024px-Windsor_castle_guyfawkesnight1776.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What will be interesting is to see if new registrations here increase or decrease now that they WotC forums are closed. On the one hand, some folks may have been waiting until the very end; on the other hand, while they were open but closing, people were being directed here. I wonder what will happen now? I assume mainly people will head to social media, and a small percentage will stumble across us via Google.

Hollow Man

Explorer
I don't do Reddit, and barely use Google+, but via Facebook D&D talk is quite active. Its biggest problem is that it's hard to find information, because there's no organization whatsoever, so the same things get asked, then answered, a lot.

I'm still "classic" in that I do like getting information on my various hobbies via forums, and have lots of forum accounts scattered about the place. For whatever reason I lurked here for a while before I registered...go figure.

Anyway, yeah...it'll be interesting to see if the community grows here now that the WotC forums are GONE gone.

-HM

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Facebook recently announced that public posts (like those on pages and public groups) will be archivable and searchable. That will be the thing, I think, that bridges the difference between a forum and a social network.

G+ posts come up first in Google searches already.

Hollow Man

Explorer
Facebook recently announced that public posts (like those on pages and public groups) will be archivable and searchable.

Will the posts in the Facebook D&D groups, which generally one has to be an approved member of to participate in, be searchable?

-HM

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Will the posts in the Facebook D&D groups, which generally one has to be an approved member of to participate in, be searchable?

-HM

Existing privacy permissions will be respected, so that will be entirely up to the group owners.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I've never really used it, so I don't know much about it. It's very popular from what I understand. Still, I'm happy enough in our little corner of the web.

They have one very useful thing. The Monster A Day thread, which someone has compiled into a PDF. With 81 entries now, mostly looking very professional, it's almost like a free Monster Manual 2.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Meh, I'm on the /r/D&D subreddit. It's not a bad forum -- there are some great threads, and some terrible ones, and occasionally an edition war gets ugly; this makes it exactly like every other D&D forum. :)

FWIW, if you stick with just the one subreddit, it's not bad. Just avoid the dark places, stick to the high way, and you'll be fine.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases