5E List of ability check modifiers (Skills, Initiative, ect...) (mellored)
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1

    Acolyte (Lvl 2)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    53

    List of ability check modifiers (Skills, Initiative, ect...) (mellored)

    Originally posted by mellored:


    Bonuses:
    Feats:
    Actor (advantage) *Some Deception and Performance
    Alert (+5) * Initiative.
    Dungeon Delver (advantage) *Some Perception and Investigation.
    Lucky (reroll)

    Class abilities
    Barbarian, Rage (advantage) *Str
    Barbarian, Feral Instinct (advantage). *Initiative
    Barbarian, Totem, Bear (advantage) *Str
    Bard, Bardic Insperation (1d6 -> 1d12, ally)
    Bard, Jack of all trades (+1->3, non proficenct)
    Bard, Expertise (+2->6)
    Bard, Lore, Peerless skill (1d6->1d12, self)
    Cleric, Knowlage (+2->6) * Certain skills
    Fighter, Champion (+2-3) *Dex, Str, and Con (incuding initiative).
    Rogue, Expertsie (+2->6)
    Rogue, Reliable talent (min 10 roll) *Proficet skills
    Rogue, Stroke of Luck (take 20)
    Rogue, Thief, Supreme Sneak (advantage) *stealth
    Rogue, Assassin, Master of Deception (advantage) *some deception
    Sorcerer, Wild, Tide of Chaost (advantage)
    Sorcerer, Wild, Bend Luck (1d4)
    Warlock, Fiend, Darkone's Own Luck (1d10)
    Wizard, Divination, Portent (pre-roll)

    Spells:
    Guidance Cantrip (1d4).
    Enhance Ability (advantage)
    Enlarge/Reduce, Enlarge (advantage)
    Glibness (min 15 roll) *Deception
    Forsight (advantage)

    Conditions and misc:
    Charmed (advantage) *Social only
    Ability Scores (obviously)
    Skill proficencies (2->6).
    Insperation die (advantage).



    Reductions:
    Class abilities:
    Bard, Lore, Cutting Words (1d6->1d12)
    Sorcerer, Wild, Bend Luck (1d4)

    Spells:
    Bestow Curse (disvantage)
    Contagion, several (disavantage) *Varies
    Enlarge/Reduce, Reduce (disadvantage) *Strength
    Eyebite, sicken (disavantage)
    Heat Metal (disvantage)
    Hex (disvantage, 1 stat)
    Raise dead (4->1 for target).
    Resurection (4->1 for target, disavantage for caster)
    Staggering Smite (disavantage)
    Symbol, Doom (disavantage)

    Conditions and misc:
    Blind (auto-fail) *Sight checks
    Defened (auto-fail) *Hearing checks
    Exhaustion (disvantage)
    Frightened (disvantage).
    Posioned (disvantage)
    Restrianed (disvantage) *Dex only.
    Heavily Encumbered (disvantage)
    No Armor Proficency (disvantage)
    Armor Penalty (disvantage) *stealth.

    Things that are not, but should be errated into penalties.
    Paralized (auto-fail) *Str and Dex checks
    Petrified (auto-fail) *Str and Dex checks
    Stunned (auto-fail) *Str and Dex checks
    Unconcious (auto-fail) *Str and Dex checks


    Let me know if i missed any.




    Originally posted by Clutchbone:


    Not sure if this is what you're looking for but here goes:

    • Thief's Supreme Sneak gives adv. on Stealth checks
    • Assassin's Imposter gives adv. on certain Deception checks
    • Actor feat gives adv. on certain Deception and Performance checks
    • Dugeon Delver gives adv. on certain Perception and Investigation checks






    Originally posted by mellored:


    Clutchbone wrote:Not sure if this is what you're looking for but here goes:

    • Thief's Supreme Sneak gives adv. on Stealth checks
    • Assassin's Imposter gives adv. on certain Deception checks
    • Actor feat gives adv. on certain Deception and Performance checks
    • Dugeon Delver gives adv. on certain Perception and Investigation checks



    Added, thx.


    Originally posted by Ashrym:



    Some armors apply disadvantage to stealth regardless of proficiency.




    Originally posted by whitishknight:


    Do a category for Saving Throws, too! Warcaster feat, Resilient feat, Paladin's Aura of Protection...




    Originally posted by mellored:


    Ashrym wrote:
    Some armors apply disadvantage to stealth regardless of proficiency.

    added


    Originally posted by mellored:


    whitishknight wroteo a category for Saving Throws, too! Warcaster feat, Resilient feat, Paladin's Aura of Protection...
    That would be a seperate list.
    As would attack rolls and AC.




    Originally posted by Morukai:





    mellored wrote:Reductions:

    Conditions and misc:
    Blind (auto-fail) *Sight checks
    Defened (auto-fail) *Hearing checks
    Exhaustion (disvantage)
    Frightened (disvantage).
    Paralized (auto-fail) *Str and Dex checks
    Petrified (auto-fail) *Str and Dex checks
    Posioned (disvantage)
    Restrianed (disvantage) *Dex only.
    Stunned (auto-fail) *Str and Dex checks
    Unconcious (auto-fail) *Str and Dex checks
    Heavily Encumbered (disvantage)
    No Armor Proficency (disvantage)
    Armor Penalty (disvantage) *stealth.

    Let me know if i missed any.

    Inexplicably, by RAW, the Paralyzed, Petrified, Stunned and Unconscious conditions don't automatically fail those checks(!); rather, they fail those saves...

    However, I think it's pretty safe to assume that a creature affected by any of those would automatically fail a check too.

    Just pointing out what seems to me be to a rather large oversight by the designers.




    Originally posted by mellored:


    Morukai wrote:Inexplicably, by RAW, the Paralyzed, Petrified, Stunned and Unconscious conditions don't automatically fail those checks(!); rather, they fail those saves...

    However, I think it's pretty safe to assume that a creature affected by any of those would automatically fail a check too.

    Just pointing out what seems to me be to a rather large oversight by the designers.
    Oh, good catch.
    Kinda funny that you can more easily grab a statue of a 200lbs fat wizard then a statue of a 200lbs muscled barbarian.




    Originally posted by Erevan:


    Since you've listed Reliable Talent, you might consider Glibness, which operates in a similar fashion. Double-check me on all of this, but I believe it's an 8th level spell available to bards and locks that makes Charisma-based checks have a minimum 15 roll for an hour.

    It has the added benefit of fooling any lie-detecting magic.

    Thanks for the list, btw. It's proven useful!




    Originally posted by Jay_Ibero_911:


    Kind of a funny thing about Remarkable Athlete vs. Jack of All Trades, one gives half-proficiency rounded up, and the other is rounded down. They couldn't even be consistent with that...




    Originally posted by raleel:


    mellored wrote:
    Morukai wrote:Inexplicably, by RAW, the Paralyzed, Petrified, Stunned and Unconscious conditions don't automatically fail those checks(!); rather, they fail those saves...

    However, I think it's pretty safe to assume that a creature affected by any of those would automatically fail a check too.

    Just pointing out what seems to me be to a rather large oversight by the designers.
    Oh, good catch.

    Kinda funny that you can more easily grab a statue of a 200lbs fat wizard then a statue of a 200lbs muscled barbarian.

    The barbarian obviously has an oiled physique.




    Originally posted by mellored:


    Erevan wrote:Since you've listed Reliable Talent, you might consider Glibness, which operates in a similar fashion.
    added.


    Originally posted by ScuroNotte:


    How about list what can be affected by ability modifiers bonuses/penalties. Example Bardic Inspiration affects Initiative, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, etc




    Originally posted by Eggnogfool:


    mellored wrote:
    Morukai wrote:Inexplicably, by RAW, the Paralyzed, Petrified, Stunned and Unconscious conditions don't automatically fail those checks(!); rather, they fail those saves...

    However, I think it's pretty safe to assume that a creature affected by any of those would automatically fail a check too.

    Just pointing out what seems to me be to a rather large oversight by the designers.
    Oh, good catch.

    Kinda funny that you can more easily grab a statue of a 200lbs fat wizard then a statue of a 200lbs muscled barbarian.

    how does someone under one of those conditions attempt to use a skill?


    Originally posted by Kalani:




    Eggnogfool wrote:
    mellored wrote:
    Morukai wrote:Inexplicably, by RAW, the Paralyzed, Petrified, Stunned and Unconscious conditions don't automatically fail those checks(!); rather, they fail those saves...

    However, I think it's pretty safe to assume that a creature affected by any of those would automatically fail a check too.

    Just pointing out what seems to me be to a rather large oversight by the designers.
    Oh, good catch.

    Kinda funny that you can more easily grab a statue of a 200lbs fat wizard then a statue of a 200lbs muscled barbarian.
    how does someone under one of those conditions attempt to use a skill?
    About the only skills they might be forced to attempt would be opposed checks. Of those, opposed Athletics/Acrobatics checks to resist grapples/shoves is about the only one that comes to mind.

  2. #2

    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Winslow UK
    Posts
    27
    What does -&g mean in this, Clockwerk66?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Speed Factor Initiative Modifiers
    By maritimo80 in forum *D&D 5th Edition
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Thursday, 11th December, 2014, 02:15 PM
  2. Is Initiative Considered an Ability Check?
    By Xyrlove Woodsoul in forum *Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Tuesday, 8th June, 2010, 11:19 AM
  3. Rethinking Skills and Ability Modifiers
    By Quickleaf in forum *Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sunday, 9th January, 2005, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •