So I finally saw the Fantastic Four...

Ryujin

Legend
So we could get a different kind of suck from one director? I mean, sure, but can't it just be allowed to die? I'd rather they get a completely different movie that has nothing to do with this one.

At the point that the producers and studio stepped in the alternate became Schrodinger's; equal probabilities of being good or sucking. They can't let it die because they would lose the rights, without milking everything out of the property that they want to (that would be ALL the monies).

At the point that the producers and studio stepped in the alternate became Schrodinger's; equal probabilities of being good or sucking.
I don't know about that. The characters were pretty terrible from the start. I doubt anything that was originally planned could have saved that train wreck.

They can't let it die because they would lose the rights, without milking everything out of the property that they want to (that would be ALL the monies).

Nah... they made a movie. That seems to be enough to fulfill the rights requirement. That's probably why they cancelled the second movie. They did enough to keep the rights for whatever amount of time. Maybe in another ten years Fox will torture humanity again with another Fantastic Four movie.

So we could get a different kind of suck from one director? I mean, sure, but can't it just be allowed to die? I'd rather they get a completely different movie that has nothing to do with this one.
Odd that you do not consider your lack of knowledge of what the alternative parts of the film to be any barrier to pronouncing judgment on it.

Ryujin

Legend
I don't know about that. The characters were pretty terrible from the start. I doubt anything that was originally planned could have saved that train wreck.

Nah... they made a movie. That seems to be enough to fulfill the rights requirement. That's probably why they cancelled the second movie. They did enough to keep the rights for whatever amount of time. Maybe in another ten years Fox will torture humanity again with another Fantastic Four movie.

Maybe yes, maybe no. The simple fact is that they didn't give the director they hired the opportunity to see his vision through, so at the very least it was going to be uneven.

They also made the Roger Coreman movie but never officially released it, in order to keep rights from reverting. By "can't let it die" I was actually referring to the periodic need to produce (but not necessarily release) a movie, in order to retain the rights.

Maybe yes, maybe no. The simple fact is that they didn't give the director they hired the opportunity to see his vision through, so at the very least it was going to be uneven.
True, they didn't give him the chance to put out the movie he wanted to put out, but it's not as if they took every element the director put in there out of the final movie. The character's were pretty damn terrible. There was nothing in the movie that gave me the impression that if the director was allowed to release the movie he had in mind that it would be any good.

They also made the Roger Coreman movie but never officially released it, in order to keep rights from reverting. By "can't let it die" I was actually referring to the periodic need to produce (but not necessarily release) a movie, in order to retain the rights.
Okay, well that makes sense. When I said they should let it die, I was referring to this movie and this version of the Fantastic Four.

Ryujin

Legend
True, they didn't give him the chance to put out the movie he wanted to put out, but it's not as if they took every element the director put in there out of the final movie. The character's were pretty damn terrible. There was nothing in the movie that gave me the impression that if the director was allowed to release the movie he had in mind that it would be any good.

Okay, well that makes sense. When I said they should let it die, I was referring to this movie and this version of the Fantastic Four.

No, they didn't take out everything that the original director had put in. They just took out the last third and shoehorned a boss fight into it, instead of his ending, that eliminated any chance of the character development he had done meaning anything. Because viewers didn't get to see that ending, we'll never know if it actually was any good. It's like the business with the original script of "Prometheus" that you can find online, which explains much of the otherwise inexplicable behaviour on the part of people who were supposed to be top researchers, but behaved like complete morons. What gets left on the cutting room floor, or in the case of "Prometheus" tossed out in favour of rewrites by the director, can ruin a film.

No, they didn't take out everything that the original director had put in. They just took out the last third and shoehorned a boss fight into it, instead of his ending, that eliminated any chance of the character development he had done meaning anything. Because viewers didn't get to see that ending, we'll never know if it actually was any good. It's like the business with the original script of "Prometheus" that you can find online, which explains much of the otherwise inexplicable behaviour on the part of people who were supposed to be top researchers, but behaved like complete morons. What gets left on the cutting room floor, or in the case of "Prometheus" tossed out in favour of rewrites by the director, can ruin a film.
That's the thing. The first 2/3 of the movie wasn't any good, either. We may never know if the ending was any good, but we know the rest of the movie wasn't very good. Within the first 2/3 of the movie you are introduced to all the characters, which we can assume are what Josh Trank wanted. Dr. Franklin Storm, played by Reg E. Cathey, had no emotion throughout the entire movie. It was as if Trank hired the greatest make-up crew and had them transform Kristen Stewart into an old black man. That's on Trank. According to this article, Trank kept on pushing for the actors to play everything as flat as possible. Well, Cathey delivered one flat Dr. Franklin Storm. The rest of the cast also delivered flat performances.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
That's the thing. The first 2/3 of the movie wasn't any good, either. We may never know if the ending was any good, but we know the rest of the movie wasn't very good. Within the first 2/3 of the movie you are introduced to all the characters, which we can assume are what Josh Trank wanted. Dr. Franklin Storm, played by Reg E. Cathey, had no emotion throughout the entire movie. It was as if Trank hired the greatest make-up crew and had them transform Kristen Stewart into an old black man. That's on Trank. According to this article, Trank kept on pushing for the actors to play everything as flat as possible. Well, Cathey delivered one flat Dr. Franklin Storm. The rest of the cast also delivered flat performances.

I can't speak to whether it's good or bad from my own point of view, due to my recent swearing off watching remakes and reboots. Those I've spoken to who have seen it seemed to like at least the first part, calling it 'more cerebral' than other recent superhero movies, but that may just have been a combination of pretentiousness and inability to say that they completely wasted twelve bucks ;)

I can't speak to whether it's good or bad from my own point of view, due to my recent swearing off watching remakes and reboots. Those I've spoken to who have seen it seemed to like at least the first part, calling it 'more cerebral' than other recent superhero movies, but that may just have been a combination of pretentiousness and inability to say that they completely wasted twelve bucks ;)
I'd tell you to watch it, so you can decide if the first 2/3 of the movie was any good, but I don' hate you, so I won't suggest you torture yourself.

Remove ads