Talk to me about software for Macs

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm considering replacing my ailing PC with a shiny new iMac. My main concern is software availability and compatibility; I don't want to interrupt my workflow more than necessary. So, in terms of software (both office and games), what's the landscape look like for the Mac owner these days?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Generally speaking, almost every major program you want on a PC is available on a Mac, and has been for quite some time. A few programs supposedly even work better on the Mac.

Most- but not all- of the multiplatform programs talk well with each other. For instance, the only issues I've ever had with MS Office files shared across platforms occurred when someone wasn't using the 1 or 2 most recent editions of the programs. The file data would get a little garbled as it went from newer version to an older version and back to a newer version.

For those that aren't available, there are programs like Parallels that let you emulate a PC. My experience with Parallels was generally positive- we used it because a particular accounting program our accountant uses was not Mac compatible. That program had a kerfuffle last year, so now he- and thus we- are using a platform neutral program.

Last edited:

You can run Windows on a Mac using Bootcamp. I would assume whatever programs you're used to running, you can continue running them. I know several people that have a Mac and run Windows on it. They don't really run iOS. They are engineers, so I guess that tells you something about iOS.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In all seriousness, though- and not trying to discourage- what is it about Macs that has you exploring our side of the home computing divide?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In all seriousness, though- and not trying to discourage- what is it about Macs that has you exploring our side of the home computing divide?

Prettiness is not to be undervalued! Plus simplicity (it's not like I upgrade PCs), and an already fairly deep investment into the Apple ecosystem (I use Apple TV, iPhone, IPads, have loads of stuff on iTunes, etc.)

It's not decided, but I'm seriously considering it as an option.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
You can run Windows on a Mac using Bootcamp. I would assume whatever programs you're used to running, you can continue running them. I know several people that have a Mac and run Windows on it. They don't really run iOS. They are engineers, so I guess that tells you something about iOS.
Gah, why?! The point of overpaying for Macs is the iOS managed experience. If you're just going to suffer Windows but overpay for the shiny logo on what's essentially the same PC machine as something $1000 cheaper, that's... that's masochistic.
Or engineers.:)
Eh, I know a bunch of engineers that prefer Macs. We mock them, but they just wrap that Apple smugness around them like armor and our taunts on being exhibits in the Apple Zoo go unheard.

Prettiness is not to be undervalued! Plus simplicity (it's not like I upgrade PCs), and an already fairly deep investment into the Apple ecosystem (I use Apple TV, iPhone, IPads, have loads of stuff on iTunes, etc.)

It's not decided, but I'm seriously considering it as an option.
All joking aside, your investment in the Apple economy is the best reason to consider a Mac. They're more expensive than an equivalent PC, performancewise, but the reason for that is the managed experience. Macs make much of the system upkeep and fiddly bits completely transparent to the user, which is nice. If you're already in that ecosystem, then it's a very, very attractive buy. Plus, there's a lot of compatibility these days. Your biggest concern should be the learning curve, as Apple does many of the common tasks slightly different. That said, the learning curve is still small potatoes, it's just the biggest reason I can think of to not switch over (aside from the price).

I don't have any investment in the Apple ecosystem, and I like tinkering with my system (both hardware and software), so Apple's not attractive to me at all. Since you are invested, and don't tinker, there's really zero reason you shouldn't buy a Mac.

Gah, why?!
Because they prefer the hardware that Apple has to offer. Yes, you'll pay more, but it seems to be far more reliable than PC. I'm going off of my experience with laptops. I don't know if it's the same for desktops. I haven't owned a desktop in years, so I can't compare them. From what these engineers have told me, they prefer the hardware of Apple and the Windows operating system. I personally could care less.
The point of overpaying for Macs is the iOS managed experience.
Dude, iOS is a train wreck. The new iOS update, El Capitan, for example, is horrific. There are so many issues with it, you're better off not updating your iOS or just going and buying a PC. From what I've heard, and seen happen to others, El Capitan was specifically designed to wreck Office. And as all previous iOS versions, Apple still hasn't figured out WiFi.
If you're just going to suffer Windows but overpay for the shiny logo on what's essentially the same PC machine as something $1000 cheaper, that's... that's masochistic.
I'm not an engineer, so I don't know why they run Windows on a Mac, but they do it. Whatever reasons they have, it seems to meet their work demands. Also, they can afford to pay more. I'm not going to tell them how to spend their money.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Because they prefer the hardware that Apple has to offer. Yes, you'll pay more, but it seems to be far more reliable than PC. I'm going off of my experience with laptops. I don't know if it's the same for desktops. I haven't owned a desktop in years, so I can't compare them. From what these engineers have told me, they prefer the hardware of Apple and the Windows operating system. I personally could care less.
That would be shocking news to me. Granted, if they're choice is a Mac or a crappy Dell businessware crapbox, I'd understand, but that just seems really weird to me.

Dude, iOS is a train wreck. The new iOS update, El Capitan, for example, is horrific. There are so many issues with it, you're better off not updating your iOS or just going and buying a PC. From what I've heard, and seen happen to others, El Capitan was specifically designed to wreck Office. And as all previous iOS versions, Apple still hasn't figured out WiFi.
Sure, sure, and Windows has been just wonderful over the years -- no issues or problems, no BSODs, just a joy!

I'm not an engineer, so I don't know why they run Windows on a Mac, but they do it. Whatever reasons they have, it seems to meet their work demands. Also, they can afford to pay more. I'm not going to tell them how to spend their money.
Fair enough.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases