Dungeons and Dragons and the ethics of imaginary violence

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Goblinoids are hated and considered evil because they are ugly. They look barbaric because they are marginalized and excluded from the dominant economic order. They are inequality made into flesh and the elves are privilege incarnate.

#noteasybeinggreen #goblinoidsarepeopletoo #culturalrelativism

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Indeed. I do remember clearly remember being revered as one of the cool kids, in high school, because of my gaming. The orgies were epic.

I laugh so much when we once invited a jock to game with us. It was actually a ceremony where virgins were sacrificed and we all know jocks are epic virgins! Good times.

Ryujin

Legend
Oh, for the love of....

This is the kind of trash I suppose we can expect from Slate. Hobgoblin holocaust? Let's see, they tend to be evil, they're militant, and they have a murderous hatred for elves. For starters, they're more likely to be dishing it out. And loving goblins? Yeah, my campaign just doesn't have enough goblin sex in it I suppose.

So some of it goes back to Tolkien, especially if you're into the mindless hordes of evil. (Tolkien himself wrestled with this, the question of whether orcs had souls and could be redeemed was one of the unresolved issues in his legendarium that led to the Silmarillion being unpublished in his lifetime.) Myself, I don't like the horde model, it's kind of limiting and uncreative. I like the evil races to have deeper motivations, basically they're out there in the more marginal regions, and turn to raiding to survive. But they're not misunderstood; rather than engaging in trade and diplomacy, they'd rather take what they want by force. There's also the underlying racial superiority views which make them more difficult to deal with. So they are making a conscious decision to be evil and take the easy way out. I do make exceptions at times, especially for smaller stuff like goblins and kobolds, but the big guys like orcs, hobgoblins, bugbears, and gnolls are going to be violent enough that usually force is the best response.

Have you seen Matt Vancil's take on Orcs in "JourneyQuest"? Members of the technologically advanced Ord race that were enslaved, bred for strength and to reduce their native intellect, alchemically altered in ways that improved their senses, and turned into creatures that hibernate through the winter. They aren't evil; they're just different and, in some ways, rather alien to the other races.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Indeed. I do remember clearly remember being revered as one of the cool kids, in high school, because of my gaming. The orgies were epic.

yes I use to keep a score card on how many innocents country girls I could corrupt in a semester, bonus points for doing them in the steam tunnels.

Ryujin

Legend
Funny thing is that I'm currently playing in a "Way of the Wicked" Pathfinder campaign, as a Lawful Evil Fighter/Ninja, and my kills are way down from the norm for me.

Last edited:

Remove ads