D&D 5E Escapist article on SCAG is Brutal.

gyor

Legend
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...rer-s-Guide-Review-First-DnD-5th-Edition-Supp

As it says in the Title, the Escapist rips Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide apart.

After having read SCAG and the Escapist here is my opinion.

I'll say I agree with most of its assessment having read the whole thing now. It has some good writing, but because of page size issues and some poor choices in editing and prioritizing its falls far short of what it should have been.

This should have been two books or at least big enough to do the job, its neither. Too much gets left out, too much of what should have been in the book isn't in it. It fails as a campaign setting book for the Forgotten Realms and it fails as a player's guide to the realms type book.

I don't blame Green Ronin for this, alot of the writing is good in parts and entertaining as they had the space to make it for the most part, although there is some wtf stuff like why does it have filler content like bard instruments in a book starved for space to begin with as the escapist points out.

If this had been two books or a larger book, and some better choices for proiritizing space had been made this could have been amazing, now its going disappoint many.

If your looking for player content, don't bother they're far less then a plathora of options as the Escapist points out.

Much of the setting info is sparse, but it does have enough to intrigue. Its not that the book is bad, its a failure because its not what it should have been for the price as the Escapist points out.

And the goofy decision making of AL doesn't help, it makes the book less valueable.

You can't use Aasimar, but you can RP as any of the rare elf subraces, but use the elf races already availible which goofy.

Which mean you can play as a Sea Elf with Drow Magic, 120 feet Darkvision, Drow weapons training, no ability to swim or breath water, or Averial that can't fly, but can use a wizard cantrip. Because that makes sense, but allowing a race that already has everything you need to play it, nope.

And to top it off you can use the Elemental Evil Companion or SCAG, not both, so you can't be a Goliath Purple Dragon Knight or Undying Warlock because I guess that would be over powered ;p.

The Escapist is right this is a $20 book, but they're charging $50 in Canada +tax.

5e is a great edition which continues to has horrible support from WotC which is still clueless as to what to do with it.

Do everyone a favour and sell D&D, including 5e and the realms to Paizo, but keep the movie rights and stuff, which is the part Hasbro actually cares about.

hejtmane

Explorer
Since I build my own world and do not play in Adventure league and never would that is all irrelevant in my D&D world. I the only thing I cared about was the new sub classes, race variants the cantrips the rest is fluff stuff that is irrelevant to how I run my game; I may leverage some of the fluff in my campaign but not in a restrictive way . At my table you would be more than welcome to play a Purple Dragon Goliath. Then again at my Table I allow Multiclassing and feats.

Oh I only paid $23 on the book on Amazon but you are correct it is a $20 book

Last edited:

Why am I not surprised that the person who negatively reviewed the SCAG without even owning it is the one who posted a link to complement their prior vitriol.

This one line made it clear that the author willfully ignored the content of the SCAG press release.

"The book's not quite sure whether it's a campaign world sourcebook, a framework for adventures, a companion to published adventures, or a supplement for specializing player characters in the Forgotten Realms."

The book was always meant to be all of the above in a single package. Instead of releasing separate books for players and DMs, this book features both types of content. Remember that part of 5e is a reduced release schedule, and this book lines up perfectly with that design principle.

It gives enough of the overall history of the FR without reprinting many materials already found in previous edition sourcebooks. No sense wasting page space on things already found in a wiki. Putting in too much fluff would be overload for DMs who are new to FR, likely resulting in fewer sales among DMs.

People who run their own homebrew worlds knew from the get-go that a portion of the book would not apply to them at all. That's the price they pay for not playing published content, there will always be wasted space in their eyes. Therefore, those complaints should be viewed as coming from a vocal minority, and not representative of the greater D&D community.

The only thing that I agree with in the article is the treatment of maps. The inside covers should have been the maps.

Everything else in the article is ranting of someone who can't accept the new 5e release schedule and how that affects the content of non-AP releases.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
"Brutal" is probably a little strong for a 2.5 star review. Basically, it's saying what it does is fine (with some niggling concerns), but doesn't give enough bang for the 40 bucks. I agree, and I don't play FR, so this is off my buy list.

If it had been an Eberron book, I would have paid for that ratio. For an FR book, I need a solid 70-80 pages of crunch to justify $40.

pukunui

Legend
As I've said elsewhere, this is a player's guide. People should be comparing it to books like 3e's Player's Guide to Faerûn and 4e's Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, not to campaign setting guides.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
It's not like the page count is not known.

You know exactly what you are getting for the price. If that is not enough, then don't buy it.

What is on those pages is good stuff. Personally I agree that it should have either been a bigger book or a softcover. I don't need a review to see the page count though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases