Pathfinder In Space! Aethera Combines Wizards & Starships

"Pathfinder in Space" is not a new trope these days - and especially not since Paizo's Technology Guide and Iron Gods adventure path - but there are always different takes on it. Heck, even I attempted to publish a Pathfinder AP based on Mike Resnick's Santiago novels a couple of years back. Aethera is a campaign setting which calls itself "diesel-punk, sword and starships" which has a couple of weeks left on its Kickstarter and is about halfway there in terms of funding (in other words, pretty much on track). They've kindly sent me along a preview of the book because they know how much I love showing awesome previews. This preview includes part of the table of contents, and part of the races section.

The setting is a 400-page hardcover, with a 1920s-30s sic-fi art vibe to it. "In the Aethera Campaign Setting, you'll soar to asteroid outposts and ancient high-tech ruins on a ship powered by crystallized magic, journey to worlds populated by intelligent plant bio-engineers, musically prophetic technocrats, human-souled robotic war veterans, and alien shamans, all suddenly threatened by interstellar raiders." It's being written by Robert Brookes, who was a finalist in Paizo's annual RPG Superstar competition, and has contributed to a number of Paizo's Pathfinder hardcovers. You'll find the Kickstarter here (or click on one of the images below).

preview-races1.jpg

preview-races-2.jpg

previewToC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Shemeska

Adventurer
I'll just point out that I'm on the writing team for this. Folks should have a decent idea of what sort of things I tend to work on, and the approach of horror/wonder I'm most at home with. :)

Matthan

Explorer
I know there's barely a day left, but I have a soft spot for science fantasy. However, I've never played Pathfinder. I played 3.5 and 2E back in the day. I loved Spelljammer and Dragonstar, but 5E brought me back to the hobby after a long absence. If I backed this because I wanted a science fantasy game (and was willing to accept Pathfinder's complexity to get that), what else would I need to be able to actually run the game besides the Aethera core book? What's the pitch for someone outside of Pathfinder?

Raddu

Explorer
Matthan, I'm a 5e guy myself. This book will have over 200 pages worth of setting and story material. I'm hoping to encourage them to get a 5e version too.

also....Funded! We have a few more hours to push for our stretch goals! We can reach $5,000!

John Benbo

First Post
is this dead?
is yet another kick-start where the designers screwed the people ?
just asking ...

A recent update went out to backers that the Early Access PDF is coming out soon. Also, the game's Facebook page has tons of art preview. It's shaping up to be quite the cool book.

Clueless

Webmonkey
All the writing is in as of mid-February :) The book is currently going through the stages of editing and layout right now. Facebook has a lot of updates and the Kickstarter page has been kept fairly up to date as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases