Bestiary 5

Lucas Yew

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for Bestiary 5

It's the Grim Reaper! Non-knockoff but REAL deep ones! And grey aliens! All available for clobbering for loot. While the bloat is getting somewhat weary, this one is still worth its bucks. P.S. If Pathfinder 2.0 ever becomes a thing, I wish that the most interesting monsters (usually high-level ones and cover models) from each monster book gets promoted to core.

3 out of 5 rating for Bestiary 5

I’m not particularly impressed with Bestiary 5. Having looked at every monster in the book and tallied if I could consider putting it into a game, two-thirds the monsters in this book fell into the “nope” category. The hit:miss ratio in this book is unfortunately high. This is troublesome even for a book in a content sparse game system, which Pathfinder very much is not. When any given monster needs to compete with over 2000 other monsters, standing out becomes a challenge. At any given CR there might be 50 different monsters competing for use at the gametable, and only a dozen of each CR might get used in any given campaign. But… while the hit:miss ratio is unfavourable, there are a number of hits, and lots of monsters that will bring something interesting to your game.

Read my full review: http://www.5mwd.com/archives/3199

Last edited:

Navior

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Bestiary 5

I like Bestiary 5 a great deal. On an initial look-through before reading it more thoroughly, there were numerous monsters that drew my attention, that made me want to know more about them, and screamed to be included in one of my games sometime down the road. There's a wide variety of monsters present, with every type represented and the spread between them being fairly even. Ooze is a monster type that is often under-represented, but there are quite a few new oozes in this book. Along with that there are lots of magical beasts, constructs, undead, vermin, fey, and so on. In addition, there are several mythic monsters, and Bestiary 5 is the first hardcover book to contain monsters using the occult rules from Occult Adventures. The monsters cover a wide variety of challenge ratings as well, from 1/6 to 24. The bulk of the creatures are in the low- to mid-CR range, but there are also a sizeable number of high-CR monsters as well. Read my full review here: http://www.ofdiceandpen.ca/2016/03/bestiary-5.html

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases