[LPF] Into the Wilds Part 1

GlassEye

Adventurer

Kepli watched in horror as Scuttle darted in, attacked the dire bat, and was ripped open by the angry bat. Horror turned to amazement as Regar's owls swooped in to catch the falling seagull and lower him to the earth. Kepli leapt over the side of the
wagon and dashed to the fallen gull as the owls rose up and vanished back to whatever plane they were summoned from. Kepli knelt and examined the bird. It was still breathing, barely, so she laid hands upon it and begged the local spirits of earth and sky to lend her the smallest portion of their power and allow her to heal Scuttle. She let out her breath in relief as the spirits answered and power flowed through her.

Scuttle flapped weakly but, still injured, he quickly subsided with an annoyed bleat.

Kepli rose and ran over to Regar and wrapped her arms around him in a hug. "Thank you! Thank you, so much!" She may not have liked the obnoxious wizard but her opinion was now drastically changed and he would have an ally with Kepli whether he wanted one or not.

Apologetically Kepli approaches Brog. "I see you are wounded." She pauses somewhat awkwardly. "I'm afraid the good Tilley will lose his livelihood if his oxen isn't healed. I hate to leave you with injuries but I can seal your wound on the morrow."

Kepli will track down the ox, using her charm animal spell to get close and keep it calm while she heals the beast. She leads it back to Tilley and listens to his rumors.

---

During the tour of Wildsgate Scuttle breaks away from Kepli's grip and lands on the stature of Wulfrun scaring off a small flock of starlings. He screams once as if to declare that this is his town now but settles into a doze.

Kepli frowns but continues to listen to their guide point out places of interest. She smiles and nods when introduced to Captain Argun but it fades a bit when Regar goes into inquisitor mode and the dwarves stomp off in search of drink. She lays a restraining hand lightly on Regar's arm but speaks to the Captain.

"Thank you, Captain. Please excuse my companions. It was a long journey and the immediate clash upon arrival pointed out a weakness in our offense. We will gladly put ourselves under your authority and will return in the morning for the map and any instruction you wish to give us."

She remains a moment to see if the Captain knows where the goblins raise their bats or if any of the others have questions for the Captain.

[sblock=OOC]Kepli: Move
Standard: CLW for Scuttle [roll0]
CLW Scuttle: 1D8+2 = [7]+2 = 9
[/sblock]

[sblock=MiniStats]
[size=+1]Kepli[/size]
Aasimar Shaman 2
Initiative: +1 Perception: +11 (+13 w/ Alertness); Darkvision 60 ft.
AC: 13 (11 touch; 12 flat-footed)
HP: 20 Current: 20
CMB: +2 CMD: 13
Fort:
+1 Ref: +1 Will: +6

In Hand: shortspear
Conditions: None yet
Spells Prepared:
  • 1st level (DC 14): Cure Light Wounds, Cure Light Wounds, Sleep
  • Orisons: Daze, Detect Magic, Guidance, Virtue

Special:

Concentration +7
Spirit Magic: Charm Animal 0/1
Stormburst: 6/6 (target treats foes as if they have concealment, 20% miss, for 1 round)
Fury Hex: 1/target (+2 morale to attack, +2 resistance to save vs fear; 3 rounds)
--Used: Brog
Alchemist's Fire 2/2
sling (9/10 bullets)

[size=+1]Scuttle[/size] Seagull Spirit Animal
Initiative: +2 Perception: +10
AC: 15 (14 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 10 Current: 6
CMB: +1 CMD: 7
Fort: +1 Ref: +4 Will: +5

In Beak: Nothing
Special:
Speed: 10 ft; fly 40 ft
Melee: Bite +5 (1d3-4); 0 ft reach
Improved Evasion

[/sblock]

ealt

Explorer
Maenor Thandgur

[section]

Maenor listens disinterestedly to Tilly's gossip but perks up when Lady Aborn is mentioned. "A noble that runs an inn? This is truly a strange age." He shakes his head in disbelief before stalking off towards the Falling Star Inn.
[/section]

[sblock=Maenor Thandgur Mini-Stats]Maenor Thandgur
AC: 15 (11 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 10/10
CMB: +0
CMD: 14

Fort: +3
Reflex: +3
Will: +3

Knowledge (Arcana): +7
Knowledge (History): +8
Perception: +2
Spellcraft: +7
Use Magic Device: +4

Arcane Pool: 4/4

Concentration: +6

Prepared Spells:
Cantrips (DC 13)
• Acid Splash
• Light
Level 1 (DC 14)
• Chill Touch

Current Weapon in Hand: None
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Temporary items in possession: None
Items not currently in possession: None
Items depleted: None
[/sblock]

Sezarious

Explorer
[sblock=Response to Kepli before town]Regar's face went bright red at being hugged by the aasimar girl. She was a very attractive woman and Regar didn't know how to cope except to just sort of freeze and just wait for the danger to pass. As she hugged him, he tried quickly to think of a reply, reverting to the facts. "Erm, well, yes, I er, prefer celestial summons for that reason, they always seem to want to go that extra mile to help... Plus they don't smell of brimstone eheheh". At the hugs conclusion, he continued to blush for awhile, before finally being distracted and fascinated by some local bugs, which he commenced studying in the field.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Captain Argun's smile fades a bit under Regar's theatrical questioning, but he tries to answer patiently. "We know where the goblin tribe makes it home, however we lack the manpower to wipe it out while being able to also hold our own against increasing attacks from a pagan tribe of cannibals and a growing group of looting bandits. At the same time, our fortification is stronger than anything those three sides can muster so far, so we are at an impasse. As for libraries, we have no official buildings, though the Baronet and the Lady have personal collections that they might be willing to share if you impress them enough in the future. I wouldn't hold too close to whatever rumors there might be of demonic influences and creatures that can't be harmed by weapons of mortal man. There are enough rumors and superstitions around here to drive a man paranoid, if one were to take them all seriously."

"The goblins have a main base that would be difficult for us larger forces to approach, but the dire bats and their riders all seem to come from its direction. We believe the bat pens and warrior barracks are at the same location, as well as the goblin chief. A smaller force may have a better chance of getting through than a large one."
, the man answers Kepli with the last few sentences, seemingly more assured to speak with someone level-headed.

The group splits, with some going right away to the inn while others check out the tavern. The Mug and Blade Tavern rings with the roar of battle hymns, rowdy laughter and endless shouts for more ale. Men with war-worn weapons and armor crowd about the bar, while sharp-eyed merchants sip their wine and discuss tariffs with well-dressed locals. The tavern takes after the good-natured rowdiness of its patrons. The ceiling is vaulted, held aloft by thick hewn beams. Sawdust coats the floorboards, and pains have been taken to provide seating and tables for customers of nearly every size. The tavern has a rough and tumble atmosphere, but what its lacks in manners it makes up in cheerful abandon. Currently, there are more than a dozen patrons, most of which are playing at a game of knife throwing in the center of the establishment. An oddly, but colorfully dressed man is wowing the crowd with his second knife hitting near a bullseye. He is blade-thin, wearing heavy robes, a dusky complexion and trimmed mustache. He looks to be about ready to palm a collection of 20 gold pieces unless a new challenger can win the pot from him.

Maenor gets his question answered when he realizes that the Falling Star Inn is owned by Lady Aborn, but is run by a gentile, gray-haired hiree named Hilto Foibald, who accepts the fact that Captain Argun will be fronting you for your first night of room and board. He pens your names in a large guest ledger and offers you space in the common room. This stout inn welcome you with cheery firelight and the smell of cedar. The Falling Star is clean, quiet and orderly, a stark contrast to the Bkacj Dragon Tavern next door. It has stables and a corral out back for boarder’s horses and ponies. Prices are slightly higher than standard but far safer than the alternative. Poorer folk and ne’er-do-wells opt for the Black Dragon.

For anyone who wants to purchase ranged weapons, there is also the local smithy, the Hammer and Anvil, run by a dwarf named Master Bolo and his human apprentices. Master Bolo is tall for a dwarf, and sports a black, sprawling beard that he keeps tucked into his belt. He lost an eye early in life, and now wears a silver eye-patch bolted directly into his skull. The dwarf is slow to warm to strangers, but he has a talent for business that befits his race’s legendary craving for gold and gems. The tough old dwarf is renowned for his masterwork weapons, which he refuses to sell, though he does often give them as gifts or keeps them as works of art to admire. He is a fair man, however, and keeps his prices the same as that in many busier markets despite the distance Wildsgate is from much of civilization.

OOC: If you haven't a ranged weapon, you may want to take a chance to fix that issue before we start.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kepli Stormborn, shaman

Kepli glances over at Regar. ”Ah! There you go, Regar. Incentive to excel. Perhaps we should follow Maenor to the inn and see if we can meet the Lady Aborn.” She turns back to Captain Argun with a smile. ”Thank you, Captain, for the information. We will be back in the morning for the map and your advice on how best we might serve Wildsgate.”

Kepli moves off after Maenor towards the Falling Star Inn hoping that Regar follows and wondering where Caius has got to.

[sblock=MiniStats]
[size=+1]Kepli[/size]
Aasimar Shaman 2
Initiative: +1 Perception: +11 (+13 w/ Alertness); Darkvision 60 ft.
AC: 13 (11 touch; 12 flat-footed)
HP: 20 Current: 20
CMB: +2 CMD: 13
Fort:
+1 Ref: +1 Will: +6

In Hand: shortspear
Spells Prepared:
  • 1st level (DC 14): Cure Light Wounds, Cure Light Wounds, Sleep
  • Orisons: Daze, Detect Magic, Guidance, Virtue

Special:

Concentration +7
Spirit Magic: Charm Animal 0/1
Stormburst: 6/6 (target treats foes as if they have concealment, 20% miss, for 1 round)
Fury Hex: 1/target (+2 morale to attack, +2 resistance to save vs fear; 3 rounds)
--Used: Brog
Alchemist's Fire 2/2
sling (9/10 bullets)

[size=+1]Scuttle[/size] Seagull Spirit Animal
Initiative: +2 Perception: +10
AC: 15 (14 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 10 Current: 6
CMB: +1 CMD: 7
Fort: +1 Ref: +4 Will: +5

In Beak: Nothing
Special:
Speed: 10 ft; fly 40 ft
Melee: Bite +5 (1d3-4); 0 ft reach
Improved Evasion

[/sblock]

Sezarious

Explorer
image.jpg
"Erm, yes BUT! Well, no I- Yes I unders- Mmmm". A little deflated at the Captains comments, Regar felt a twist of confusion in his stomach as Kepli called for him to follow. Was this a trick? Surely it was.

She was probably just being nice to him for the sake of it! Though he did save her gull from certain death. He decided to follow her in good faith. "Well technically is doesn't die, it just goes back to another plane and can't be re summoned for awhile, that's hardly a big deal. Unless it's a big deal to her... I always thought summoners were just wizards with a bigger knack for summoning than even conjurers? Well I'm not denying that they do... Ooooh, wait a minute, Kepli cast a healing spell and she loves her bird... Therefore, Summoners must be variants of Druids! I will look into this later." Regar made a mental note for follow up. He had to. Anything involving summoning was something for him to look into further.

Slightly more relaxed after his internal conversation, Regar and Kepli arrived at the inn. Just as they reached the door he remembered the spell that could be of use. "Ahah! 'Magic Weapon' the spell! Of course! That's what we need! Do you think they might have any scrolls in town? If I can memorise that, it would be invaluable in supporting our warriors... I always thought Paladins were able to do something like that to THEIR weapons? No, wait that's smiting, that's something else entirely". Babbling on a little too much, Regar stopped when he saw the old man in the bar, quickly swiping the hat from his head, he stepped outside and faced the wall, casting detect magic. Maintaining his concentration, he whispered to Kepli, "I could be wrong, but does that man look like a spell-caster to you?". He casually moved forward trying to get a read on the man for the presence of a spell-book, component pouch, active spell or something that could hint at the man being a mage.

[sblock=Ministats]
Regar Lilothian - Level 1 Elven Wizard (Conjurer)
Alignment: NG
Languages: Common (Venzan), Elven, Gnoll, Goblin, Orc, Sylvan, Draconic (Class), Terran (Linguistics), Deltan (Free (Campaign related))
HP: 7 = [1d6 + CON (0) + FC (1)] (Wizard 1)
AC: 14 = [10 + DEX (4) + Armor (0) + Shield (0) + Natural (0) + Size (0) + Misc (0)]
Touch: 14
Flatfooted: 10
INIT: +8 = [DEX (4) + Misc (+4 Familiar)]
CMB: -1 = [BAB (0) + STR (-1) + Misc (0)]
CMD: 13 = [10 + BAB (0) + STR (-1) + DEX (4) + Misc (0)]
Fortitude: +0 = [Wizard 1 (0) + CON (0) + Misc (0)]
Reflex: +4 = [Wizard 1 (0) + DEX (4) + Misc (0)]
Will: +0 = [Wizard 1 (2) + WIS (-2) + Misc (0)]
Speed: 30'

• Acid Splash +4 (1d3+1 (Acid Flask as focus))
Attack: +4 = [BAB (0) + Ability (4), 25ft Crit: 20/x2, Special: Acid damage
• Acid Dart +4 (1d6)
Attack: +4 = [BAB (0) + Ability (4), 30ft Crit: 20/x2, Special: Acid damage
• Quarterstaff -1 (1d6-1)
Attack: -1 = [BAB (0) + Ability (-1), Crit 20/x2, Bludgeoning

Weapon Proficiencies: Longbow, longsword, rapier, short bow, club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff

[sblock=Familiar: Greensting scorpion (Spike)]

Greensting Scorpion CR 1/4
XP 100
N Tiny vermin
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +4
Defense
AC 18, touch 15, flat-footed 15 (+3 Dex, +3 natural, +2 size)
hp 4 (1d8)
Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +0
Immune mind-affecting effects
Offense
Speed 30 ft.
Melee sting +5 (1d2–4 plus poison)
Space 2-1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks poison
Statistics
Str 3, Dex 16, Con 10, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 2
Base Atk +0; CMB +1; CMD 7 (19 vs. trip)
Feats Weapon FinesseB
Skills Climb +7, Perception +4, Stealth +15; Racial Modifiers +4 Climb, +4 Perception, +4 Stealth
Ecology
Environment warm or temperate deserts, forests, plains, or underground
Organization solitary or colony (3–6)
Treasure none
Special Abilities
Poison (Ex) Sting—injury; save Fort DC 10; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect sickened for 1 round; cure 1 save.
Greensting scorpions normally live in forests, but can be found almost anywhere. Their pincers are too small to be dangerous to anything but other insects, but they have a poisonous sting that sickens even larger creatures.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Class and Racial Features, Feats and Traits]
Low-Light Vision: Can see twice as far in dim-light conditions
Elven Immunities
Elven Magic

Arcane school:
Conjuration - Summoner's charm - Whenever you cast a conjuration (Summoning) spell, increase the duration by a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your wizard level (Minimum 1)
Acid dart: Standard action - any foe within 30ft ranged touch attack - 1d6 8/day

Spell focus: Conjuration (Class feature): +1 to Conjuration spell DC
Spell Specialization:Summon monster I (1st Level): Treat the spell as if cast 2 levels higher (Effectively gives 2 extra rounds to the duration of the spell)
Alertness (Familiar): +2 to sense motive and perception with your familiar on you

Capable (Skill): Become proficient in 1 skill and get +1 (Escape Artist)
Two world magic (Magic):Learn one extra cantrip from any list
[/sblock]

[sblock=Skills]
Escape Artist 9
Knowledge (Arcana) 9
Knowledge (Nature) 9
Knowledge (Planes) 9
Knowledge (Religion) 9
Linguistics 9
Spellcraft 9
[/sblock]

[sblock=Spells]
Spells Known:
0 Level: All wizard cantrips plus purify food/drink, minus restricted schools
1st Level: Colour spray, Feather fall, Grease, Mage armor, Mount, Obscuring mist, Protection from evil, Summon monster I
Learnt from scrolls: -Summon Minor Monster

Spells Prepared (Ready):
0 Level: Read Magic, Detect magic, Acid splash
1st Level: Summon Monster I (Favored school), Mage Armor, Protection from evil

Spells Expended:
1st level: Summon Minor Monster
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

MerryMortician

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Apologies for the delay in returning and thanks to all for being patient. I have followed the thread and am re-reading to catch up but I will not be able to post until tomorrow. I'm sure I will sell off something in order to acquire a ranged weapon.[/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
After some brief inquiries, you find out that the market square sometimes does have items for sale, and you might be able to get lucky with a scroll or two if you find the right travelling merchant. The Lady does not stay at the Inn, but instead in one of the well-furnished fortress towers. However, she has been known to visit in order to check the financial ledgers every few weeks. It's the proprietor of the Falling Star Inn, Hilto Foibald, who is a helpful source of local information, and on further observations of the spectacle-wearing man you realize that he is probably no spellcaster despite his apparent higher level of intelligence.

Sezarious

Explorer
image.jpg
Satisfied after scanning the old man, Regar moves forward towards Maenor. "Maenor! I-er WE just worked out the obvious spell to use. It was so obvious! 'Magic Weapon'! Now i'll just need to see if we can procure it and if we can position ourselves appropriately in trying to kill off the chieftan I should be able to use a couple of castings on a couple of our 'strikers'". He leans across and whispers "Probably our dwarves given their dislike for the beasts", leaning back, he increases his volume "Thereby taking care of the chieftan problem. The scroll should be available in town with any luck as it's fairly popular amongst mages"

He manoeuvres around a little to make sure Kepli is involved in the next part of the discussion. "Now I don't have the money on me to purchase said scroll, though I have purchased the magical inks, though, for another scroll I was going to learn, however, that can wait! Do you think if we help the lady Arborn out with her family curse she might help me out with the money? I know she's a divine caster and all, but I figure in the name of her god or something, she'd probably be able to help out with it. Oh by the way..." He reaches into the front of his shirt and pulls out his familiar shoving it a little too close, a Greensting Scorpion; "This is Spike! He's my familiar and I was thinking I could stick him down one of the dwarves shirts; you know, to help them. Casting and stuff. Do you think they'd be ok with that?"

With a sideways glance at Kepli, he lowers his enthusiasm a notch... "Er, too much ranting?"

Last edited:

ealt

Explorer
Maenor Thandgur

[section]

Maenor listens to Regar's enthusiastic chatter with a slight grin on his face. He claps the young mage on the back, his bronze bangles chiming as he does so. "Good thinking there, boy! We'll make a fine warrior out of you yet. Now I know a few tricks that can help me out fighting the chieftain, but I've never met a warrior who didn't appreciate a little 'magical assistance' now and again." He leans back slightly when the young mage produces a sizable scorpion from his outfit. "I doubt they'd be very keen on that, but I'm not really the one to ask about such things."
[/section]

[sblock=Maenor Thandgur Mini-Stats]Maenor Thandgur
AC: 15 (11 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 10/10
CMB: +0
CMD: 14

Fort: +3
Reflex: +3
Will: +3

Knowledge (Arcana): +7
Knowledge (History): +8
Perception: +2