D&D 4E 4E Character Optimization WOTC rescue Handbook Guide

LightWarden

Explorer
Fair enough, I added the At-Will guide because it was mentioned on the first page by @Fred Derf and it takes less than 10 minutes to fish a guide out of the Wayback Machine.

As far as I can tell the Emergency Evac Lifeboat still works as normal, yes? Or should I be dumping these things somewhere else?

MwaO

Adventurer
Included Killswitch in switch builds. Just a heads up - the build really improves if you MC Swordmage, pick up Intelligent Blademaster, Battle Intuition instead of Improved Initiative, use a Dagger instead of a Crossbow, be an Int/Wis Deva, go Battle Engineer, and then Soul of the World in Epic. And drop all the Crossbow feats.

darkbard

Legend
Thanks for your sustained curating of 4E, MwaO! My time for gaming has been even more limited than usual of late, but I'm sure there are many other (relative) lurkers who appreciate all you do here.

MwaO

Adventurer
Care to elaborate?

Think it gets unnecessarily wordy and confusing about the topic when it isn't really that hard. It even, to me, doesn't even discuss the two hardest practical problems of Hidden. Namely:
Heavily Obscured squares are tricky.

Permastealth is a known, very problematic optimization move that tends to create TPKs. You reduce your damage output in exchange for convincing the DM to focus fire your friends.

darkbard

Legend
Think it gets unnecessarily wordy and confusing about the topic when it isn't really that hard. It even, to me, doesn't even discuss the two hardest practical problems of Hidden. Namely:
Heavily Obscured squares are tricky.

Permastealth is a known, very problematic optimization move that tends to create TPKs. You reduce your damage output in exchange for convincing the DM to focus fire your friends.

These seem fair critiques, although I think I may be missing what you claim to be "the two hardest practical problems of Hidden." Is there something within Heavily Obscured that presents two separate problems, or have you only mentioned one practical problem?

Also, your admonition about permastealth not being called out is a good one. Too many gamers new to optimization don't see the pitfalls of such a design. I mean, there are probably hundreds of warnings spread across scores of threads that point this out, but it really should be highlighted in *the* focused thread on Stealth and Hidden adjudication!

MwaO

Adventurer
These seem fair critiques, although I think I may be missing what you claim to be "the two hardest practical problems of Hidden." Is there something within Heavily Obscured that presents two separate problems, or have you only mentioned one practical problem?

Also, your admonition about permastealth not being called out is a good one. Too many gamers new to optimization don't see the pitfalls of such a design. I mean, there are probably hundreds of warnings spread across scores of threads that point this out, but it really should be highlighted in *the* focused thread on Stealth and Hidden adjudication!

Permastealth's the other practical problem, unfortunately not theoretical...

Remove ads