Looking for solo & 2-player tabletop recommendations

Nytmare

David Jose
It's been such a long time since I played it that I can't give specific details on what went wrong. Sometimes it seemed like bad luck (e.g., searching but not finding a land type so we could make a specific item). I don't think we retried many scenarios so we probably didn't figure out key elements (e.g., ensuring you build the hatchet early, ignoring the sacred belt) in some of them.

I'm in the same boat, I played one solo game so that I could teach our gaming group when I first got it, lost, and realized that I had been cheating. Then I replayed the scenario twice more with the group and without cheating, and we never even came close. We all enjoyed it, but haven't had the urge to give it another go in the last 2 or 3 years.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I'm in the same boat, I played one solo game so that I could teach our gaming group when I first got it, lost, and realized that I had been cheating. Then I replayed the scenario twice more with the group and without cheating, and we never even came close. We all enjoyed it, but haven't had the urge to give it another go in the last 2 or 3 years.

Do you recall how you were cheating?

Nytmare

David Jose
Do you recall how you were cheating?

I don't remember the specifics, but it was something to do with playing Friday and the dog incorrectly. Maybe I was giving myself too many actions, or wasn't making things cost enough? Beyond that, I don't really know. It was way too long ago.

So, an update on some things attempted over the past few months with the Shiverspouse:

Star Wars: Empire vs Rebellion she liked, although at its core it is mostly just a fancy version of "21" with the Star Wars theme pasted on. It does have some innovative bidding mechanics that require you to read your opponent, so it has a few more choices than a traditional card game. Pretty cards, too. We did play multiple games of this.

Legacy of Dragonholt went over quite well, though so far we've just had time for the introductory adventure. It's a light RPG similar to choose-you-own adventure but with some memory elements as well as skills and character advancement. Will get played again. Was well received due to rules-lightness and good story. This one I can play solo, too, so it was a decent purchase.

The Hobbit (a Reiner Knizia co-op) got mixed reviews. While she took to the rules fairly quickly, she didn't like the scoring mechanism and "win condition", plus she found the mechanics a little too abstract. We at least won the game. Unlikely to see the table again with her.

Lord of the Rings
(Reiner Knizia co-op) was a lead balloon. Despite being fully co-op, which I thought would be a plus, she found the mechanics too abstract and hard to learn, even after playing The Hobbit. I thought that a little weird because she thought Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation was OK and it's a directly competitive game (essentially a smaller Stratego with an LotR theme and a surprise bidding mechanic), but the mechanics in Confrontation are much less abstract. I think what I'm finding is that for her mechanics need to be more literally linked to the theme and actions of what is going on, or be simple to understand. Simple RPGs are good, simple dice/card mechanics are good, less deep strategy and fewer choices (at least on the surface) are good.

One Deck Dungeon was actually reasonably popular, once she got the hang of the "dice covering" mechanics. This one is fun as both a co-op and solo, so it's got more play from me. RPG-lite elements were welcome. It's admittedly pretty random, but has some good choices.

Last, a surprising hit: Lord of the Rings: Journey to Mordor. This is a pretty simple dice game; the entire strategy and set of choices is picking what dice to keep and which ones to re-roll. The adventure mechanic is a "race" of checking boxes based on the dice. At first she complained about the dice being confusing (six different symbols with different associated actions) but once she got those down she warmed up to it and followed the action well plus she saw a good fit for the mechanics (move forward, try to escape Nazgul and orcs) to the theme of the game. Surprised me as there isn't much to this game -- though maybe the "more of a family game, less of a gamer's game" is what I need to keep in mind.

It's a still struggle to get her to try a game, though ...

Last edited:

Nytmare

David Jose
Yay! Necro'd!

Olgar have you had a swing at Azul or Sagrada yet? They're beautiful puzzley games that work well as an introductory game for non gamers. Both of them have alright solo play and can be easily tweaked into co-op.

Did Splendor ever make the suggestion list on the previous couple of pages? I don't think it has an established solo setting, but it would be easy enough to just turn it into a "beat your high score" kind of mode. And it's a REMARKABLE intro-ey kind of game.

I have to go wandering around downstairs to see what else jumps out at me.

Yay! Necro'd!

Olgar have you had a swing at Azul or Sagrada yet? They're beautiful puzzley games that work well as an introductory game for non gamers. Both of them have alright solo play and can be easily tweaked into co-op.

Did Splendor ever make the suggestion list on the previous couple of pages? I don't think it has an established solo setting, but it would be easy enough to just turn it into a "beat your high score" kind of mode. And it's a REMARKABLE intro-ey kind of game.

I've considered Splendor, but haven't taken the plunge yet. Azul is definitely too puzzly and abstract.

We took Hive Pocket on a camping trip ... Fail. She thought it was too hard to learn/too much like chess. Sad becuase it's quite a good game and actually simpler in concept than chess but much more dynamic.

Exploding Kittens continued to be popular though.

My wife and I only play co-op games.

I'll admit we go for the more complex games - so I only have a few.
Stuffed Fables - it's a story based move around the board and fight game (sorta dungeon crawler) - but you play as stuffed animals, so the theme and style of the game help overcome the difficulty. We love it. It's a bit more complex than the other two I mention, but the theme really helps.
Harry Potter:Hogwarts Battle - deck-building game, and if she like HP that is a huge bonus. The game is set up to play each year as a separate game (although it isn't a legacy game, you don't destroy your cards). What is really nice is that year one is a super simple game, and each year a new element is added. So it helps in learning the more complex stuff as you go.
One Deck Dungeon - Fairly simple dice/card game. It's a rogue-like card game of dungeon crawling. Plays in 30 minutes to an hour.

The other games we enjoy (but are on the more complex end)
Lord of the Rings: Living Card Game
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
Mistfall
Aeon's End (really great game, but a little complex).
Eldritch Horror
Shadows of Brimstone
Sentinels of the Multiverse.
Dresden Files

Aside from Sentinels, all work really well solo.

All are very nice co-op and One Deck is a fantastic solo game.

KenNYC

Explorer
Pandemic Legacy Season One. The greatest co-op game I have ever played. It takes up to four players but you can run two characters each no problem. It is the best game I have played in the last few years. Can be done solo if you want to adopt all four roles.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack The Ripper. Your wife and you will be Baker Street Irregulars solving mysteries that are darn hard in a choose your own adventure format. Great solo but two heads are better than one.

Unlocked! Escape the room in a box series of games. They run about $15 each and are a lot of fun. You will work together to solve puzzles. Works solo, but two heads are still better than one.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases