Pathfinder 1E Mind blown by my player

Cody C. Lewis

First Post
So... I know you always have to expect the unexpected from your players, but man I got my mind blown on Thursday night. The player that threw me off guard was none other than my brother; a guy I have known his entire life and he hit me with something from left field.

Setting the scene:
So I have been trying to finish up my small campaign (12 sessions or so) and the players have been chasing this horrendously evil dude since the jump. They have FINALLY figured out his next move and are trying to get the one up on him by beating him to the punch on an ancient key for a secret passage into the kingdom. Long story long, they have found this very nasty puzzle dungeon that was created by, and that is currently occupied by the most powerful being, excluding deities, in the setting, Lorlamir - huge powerful, now ghost, wizard.

When they found their way into the ruin, they met the ghost-wizard sitting at a table talking to himself all crazy like. Well this ghost was inspired by Joker/Mad Hatter/Sheogorath, and he has been following the group through the entire 2 session dungeon taunting them and generally acting insane.

Here is where the S goes nuts:
4 hallways if you will, and each hallway damn near killed one of the players. They are on the fourth and final hallway, in the last room and a fire drake statue comes to life and starts battling the group. The elvish sorcerer is standing on a platform and is doing everything he can to bring the thing down and eventually he drops to -10. Well his con is at 11 so that means he has to stabilize on his own for one round. He rolls a 14. I allow him to use his inspiration point. He rolls a 15. I allow one of the other players to use their inspiration point. he rolls a 16.

I announce to the group "Ellisar Shyr... passes from this world. He is dead." Great RP. Great RP. The group brings his body back to the main room, where I had an immense puzzle set up and I allowed the dead player to participate since I designed it as a player challenge not a character challenge.

Well I step outside while they work to smoke and to look up resurrection stuffs. I consider giving them a wish in the treasure room, thinking to put the characters in a position to have to choose to bring him back or help them defeat their 12-week foe.

And then it happens... I come back and they finish solving the puzzle. The trophy room portal opens. And suddenly my brother, playing a gambling addict starts talking to the ghost-wizard (who was thrilled that someone had died in his trial). He asks if the wizard has the powers to bring someone back from the dead. I RP his answer vague. He presses again for a clear answer. I give him a yes. He then tells the mad-wizard-archmage that he wants to play a game of chance. He would bet his life on a single roll of dice. If even, the ghost must bring back Ellisar (the elf sorc), if odds, he would forfeit his life.

I was stunned.

And...

I said "deeeeeaaaal".

The other players were just as stunned and blown away. They were RPing it like trying to talk him out of it and rushing to the table to stop him. My ranger picked up his dice without any hesitation. He did not pause a moment and build suspense. He just freaking rolled immediately.

First die:5
Second die:5

Total = even number

The ghost shrieked and the group heard the a huge gasp of out from the corpse behind them. My brother's character looked over and said... "I was paid to help you stop the man in the red cloak, which is what I intend to do. Now get up, we have unfinished business to attend to." And he turned and walked towards the portal into the treasure room.

My mind had been officially blown by my player. I would certainly describe it as an 'epic' moment in the campaign.

Richards

Legend
Very cool! And the fact that your brother's character was already established as a gambling addict makes it a great "in character" role-playing moment as well.

Johnathan

Cody C. Lewis

First Post
You know, I think what made this moment so great was he never hesitated. I mean, I paused to debate whether or not to give it to him. But he never did.

gambler1650

Explorer
You realize of course that your brother had a 2/3 chance of winning? When I first read it, it sounded like he would roll one die in which case it would be 50/50.

But rolling two dice and adding them together? Even + Even = Even; Odd + Odd = Even; Even + Odd = Odd

snickersnax

Explorer
You realize of course that your brother had a 2/3 chance of winning? When I first read it, it sounded like he would roll one die in which case it would be 50/50.

But rolling two dice and adding them together? Even + Even = Even; Odd + Odd = Even; Even + Odd = Odd

but you forgot Odd + Even = Odd that's 2/4... better go back to gambling school :)

gambler1650

Explorer
Whooooops! This is what comes from having a 4 month old baby and trying to do quick probability in your head. You are of course right!

The probability of getting a probability problem wrong when one has a 4 month old baby? 100%.

delphonso

Explorer
Great story! I hope they got some nice rewards for this!

As the brother, I would make the argument: "I rolled 2 die. That's an even number of die."

Remove ads