D&D 5E Out of the Abyss OOC

Jesus, why is there always ONE MORE THING TO SAY?! Good grief.

I super really dig that you're thinking carefully through what will motivate your roleplay, loki (and a nickname was born). You have a vision and you're being thorough, and that's good. It's gonna be a great game.

Great! The next thing we do is I vet everyone's character sheet as they trickle in. I'll say here when I've done that. If I have questions or think I've spotted an error, I'll PM them to each author individually. After your sheet is vetted, I'll want you to please post it in the Community >> Characters thread.

Incidentally, I've been adding material bit by bit to the Community page. There's art (I'll add more, I've been doing a file a day), there are links to all the UA articles, there's a thread of NPC sketches, and I've been keeping a journal of our process. There's also a section where I'll be uploading files. I bought all of Jared Blando's maps for OotA back in October, and I'm currently mulling over whether to include files of the players' versions of those maps. When we start the IC, I'll probably stow a master map in the file section on the Community page. And if you guys have suggestions for material you want to see, ping me. My hope is that it's a space we'll use regularly.

industrygothica

Adventurer
*Note* If someone else wants the cleric, more power to ya. I'm certainly not a pro at the class, but I don't mind at all giving it a shot if everyone else would rather not. Here are the crunchy bits on what I'm thinking so far. I'm thinking outlander thus far, but I haven't had the chance to look over any of the backgrounds from SCAG yet, if there are even any in there. I've got a story brewing somewhere back in the black hole in my head, but it's not quite ready for paper yet. I have a feeling that when it is, I'm going to have to do a serious hack-job on it to get it down to a manageable length. I've got a 14 hour car ride home tomorrow, so you can probably guess what it'll consist of. Anyway, let me know what you think so far.

[SBLOCK=Kago, Warpriest of Gruumsh (Orc Cleric 3)]
Name: Kago
Sex: Male
Race: Orc
Class/Level: Cleric 3
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Size: Medium
Type (Subtype): Humanoid (orc)
Init: -1
Speed: 30ft
Senses: Darkvision (60 ft.)
Passive Perception: 12
LanguagesCommon, Orc

DEFENSE
AC:
18 (Chain mail, shield)
HP: 21 (3d8 +3 con)
Saves: Wisdom & Charisma
Special Defenses:

OFFENSE
Melee: Warhammer +5 Attack, 1d8+3 Bludgeoning (1d10+3 two-handed)
Melee: Handaxe +5 Attack, 1d6+3 Slashing
Special Attacks: Spell Attack +4; Spell Save DC 13

STATISTICS
Str 16 (+3), Dex 8 (-1) , Con 13 (+1), Int 11 (+0), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 10 (+0)

SPELLS
Spell Save DC: 13
Cantrips Known (3): Guidance, Spare the Dying, Thaumaturgy

Spell Slots: 4, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
Slots Used: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

Spells Prepared: Divine Favor (domain), Shield of Faith (domain), Magic Weapon (domain), Spiritual Weapon (domain), 5 more

SKILLS (Proficient in bold) 2 Cleric, 2 background
Mod Attribute Name of Skill
-1 (dex) Acrobatics
+2 (wis) Animal Handling
+0 (int) Arcana
+3 (str) Athletics
+0 (cha) Deception
+0 (int) History
+4 (wis) Insight
+0 (cha) Intimidation
+0 (int) Investigation
+4 (wis) Medicine
+0 (int) Nature
+2 (wis) Perception
+0 (cha) Performance
+0 (cha) Persuasion
+0 (int) Religion
-1 (dex) Sleight of Hand
-1 (dex) Stealth
+2 (wis) Survival

RACIAL FEATURES
Darkvision: Kago can see in dim light within 60' as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it was dim light.
Aggressive: As a bonus action, Kago can move up to his speed toward a hostile creature that he can see.
Languages: Common, Orc
[/sblock]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I`d like to check with [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION] before committing to anything, but yes I did intend it to be the same city as Solace. As I read it, Solace (possibly and Kamael at the same time) were expelled from Heaven to a Faeroon city (probably on Sword Coast).
I don't really know the backstory on Celestials, but I figure wherever she came from, she'd think of it as Heaven even if it's not. Being from the same city is fine, if I go ahead with that character.
is she built to be a pacifist?
Not at all! I think she's not all that celestial any more, broken by the tannery. She wants to be in combat, but well see how she goes.

I do like that the race has lesser restoration though -- it's a great spell, and not one that I'd normally choose. I'd be curious to see if it played, and it'd be fun to do it with a rogue.
Say something about his story?
This will come.
Nope. Sorry. There's a mechanical reason why I'm saying no that's tied to the story of OotA.
Fair enough. It was getting things like studded leather and a second shortsword. Certainly things that can be picked up along the way, I suppose....

would you mind if there was a connection between our characters, at least if we travelled together from the city?
Sounds great!

Now, as I've been working on this post, I see that a cleric has been posted by industrygothica. Awesome -- and the orc angle is great. I think it's important that the party have one, and they're such a great class in 5e, in my opinion. If in the end no one else goes with a cleric, I will be happy to do one. In the meantime, though, I'll fish around with other ideas. One of them, I am sure will rise to the top.

This is going to be a fun group, I can tell. Lots of ideas perking around already.

Last edited:

Can't sleep.

*Note* If someone else wants the cleric, more power to ya. I'm certainly not a pro at the class, but I don't mind at all giving it a shot if everyone else would rather not.
Pause, wait! No one feel pressured to play cleric--and I MEAN this--unless that's the class that truly calls to you, the one that gets all your best creative juices going. You guys will need healing, but there are work-arounds to not having a healer that I can supply. There's also stuff like short and long rests (though you won't be able to rely on those on a consistent basis), the magic initiate feat, multiclassing, the Medicine skill, healing kits, and oddments of items the DM supplies along the way. Don't mistake me; no healer will be a party composition choice that I'll hold the group's feet to the fire on, but the adventure's still playable without one.

I haven't had the chance to look over any of the backgrounds from SCAG yet, if there are even any in there.
There are. Probably not as many as I was hoping for, but they're in there and they're pretty good.

I have a feeling that when it is, I'm going to have to do a serious hack-job on it to get it down to a manageable length.
The two paragraphs force you to distill. They're a useful exercise in strengthening the clarity of your character concept. And in making your writing better! (In case it's not clear, I meant that as a generalized you and not the specific you.) The short length also helps the audience actually read the damned things and not skim. What? Don't laugh, I'm balls-to-the-wall serious. :D Except no balls here, so...yeah...moving along.

Lawful Evil
BOOM, BABY! Good. I was hoping someone would pony up with an evil alignment. It'll raise all kinds of eggs-cellent (ripping off loki here) rp opportunities for everyone. The good kind. Not the murderhobo kind. Still, don't let my excitement over the alignment pressure you into doing this character. Alignment's portable; if it works here, it can work for a morally gray orc fighter just as well.

Neat. That'll be fun!

Also, the skull-bashing warhammer rocks. Old school.

Last edited:

I do like that the race has lesser restoration though -- it's a great spell, and not one that I'd normally choose. I'd be curious to see if it played. . . .
Uh, yeah, it'll see play. The madness rules ensure its use.

I actually got kinda nervous it would be too good when I saw it, if you get what I mean.

Remove ads