D&D 5E Out of the Abyss OOC

So, now I'm thinking I want to do some amalgamation of the two. Probably most of the crunchy bits from Outlander, and the fluffy pieces from Soldier, if that's ok. Maybe call the background "Orc Marauder" or something.
No problem at all. It's a core mechanic of the PHB that Backgrounds can be customized. Check out PHB 125: "To customize a background, you can replace one feature with any other one, choose any two skills, and choose a total of two tool proficiencies or languages. . . .Finally, choose two personality traits, one ideal, one bond, and one flaw."

I hope others realize Background customization is available to all?

As for a musical instrument... I can't picture Kago being terribly musically inclined, but something like a bullroarer would make perfect sense, though it's not listed in any of the source material.
Cool. Bullroarer is fine. But nix on the carrying distance of the sound it produces. It'll carry sound as per a normal instrument. You cool with that?

You're coming in at a good time, [MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION]. When you sit down to draft, you'll have the benefit of an overview of the tenor and flavor of the tentative party.

Hope your traveling home goes smoothly. Or, if not, that you relax into and enjoy the day! --W.

[MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION], I've finished vetting Brinn's character sheet. It looks very good. I didn't spot any errors (FYI, this is a true rarity in PbP, so my compliments to the chef), but I *do* have questions and there was one omission that I also have a question about. I'll bundle my questions into a PM here in just a moment.

I would like you to please post Brinn to the Characters discussion thread in our Community. When you do, please include Brinn's portrait pic. I'd also love to see two paragraphs of written background for Brinn, but they're optional (though they'd net you Inspiration for the start of play, so possibly they're worth it?).

Does anyone else feel ready to commit to a character concept and submit a sheet for me to vet? I'll have time tomorrow (Monday) to vet another one, possibly two. The rest of my work week is fever pitch, though.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Submitted for approval. I still need to pick the rest of my spells, but the rest should be done. Though I don't promise an error-free submission. :)

orc_templar_by_zsoltkosa-d3kznic.jpg
Image by ZsoltKosa

[SBLOCK=Kago, Warpriest of Gruumsh (Orc Cleric 3)]
Name: Kago
Sex: Male
Race: Orc
Class/Level: Cleric 3
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Size: Medium
Type (Subtype): Humanoid (orc)
Init: -1
Speed: 30ft
Senses: Darkvision (60 ft.)
Passive Perception: 12
Languages Common, Orc, Goblin

DEFENSE
AC:
18 (Chain mail, shield)
HP: 21 (3d8 +3 con)
Saves: Wisdom & Charisma
Special Defenses:

OFFENSE
Melee: Warhammer +5 Attack, 1d8+3 Bludgeoning (1d10+3 two-handed)
Melee: Javelin +5 Attack, 1d6+3 Piercing
Special Attacks: Spell Attack +4; Spell Save DC 12

STATISTICS
Str 16 (+3), Dex 8 (-1) , Con 13 (+1), Int 11 (+0), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 10 (+0)

SPELLS
Spell Save DC: 13
Cantrips Known (3): Guidance, Spare the Dying, Thaumaturgy

Spell Slots: 4, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
Slots Used: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

Spells Prepared: Divine Favor (domain), Shield of Faith (domain), Magic Weapon (domain), Spiritual Weapon (domain), 5 more

SKILLS (Proficient in bold) 2 Cleric, 2 background
Mod Attribute Name of Skill
-1 (dex) Acrobatics
+2 (wis) Animal Handling
+0 (int) Arcana
+5 (str) Athletics
+0 (cha) Deception
+0 (int) History
+4 (wis) Insight
+0 (cha) Intimidation
+0 (int) Investigation
+4 (wis) Medicine
+0 (int) Nature
+2 (wis) Perception
+0 (cha) Performance
+0 (cha) Persuasion
+0 (int) Religion
-1 (dex) Sleight of Hand
-1 (dex) Stealth
+4 (wis) Survival

RACIAL FEATURES
Darkvision: Kago can see in dim light within 60' as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it was dim light.
Aggressive: As a bonus action, Kago can move up to his speed toward a hostile creature that he can see.
Languages: Common, Orc, Goblin

BACKGROUND FEATURES: Orc Marauder
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Survival
Tool Proficiencies: One type of musical instrument (Bullroarer)
Feature (Wanderer): Kago has an excellent memory for maps and geography, and he can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around him. In addition, he can find food and fresh water for himself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

Traits: Kago can stare down a hell hound without flinching. He faces problems head-on. A simple, direct solution is the best path to success.
Ideal: Might. In life as in war, the stronger force wins.
Bond: Kago will never forget the crushing defeat his clan suffered, nor the drow who dealt it.
Flaw: Kago’s hatred of the drow is blind and unreasoning.

CLASS FEATURES
- Spellcasting: Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for Kago’s spells. The saving throw DC to resist a spell Kago casts is 8 + prof. bonus + Wis modifier (+12). Kago’s attack bonus when he makes an attack with a spell is prof. bonus + Wis modifier (+4).
- War Priest From 1st level, Kago’s god delivers bolts of inspiration to him while he is enraged in battle. When Kago uses the attack action, he can make one weapon attack as a bonus action. Kago can use this feature a number of times equal to his Wisdom modifier. Regain all expended uses after a long rest.
- Channel Divinity: Turn Undead: Undead within 30 feet must pass a Wisdom saving throw or be turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.
- Channel Divinity: Guided Strike: Kago can use Channel Divinity to strike with supernatural accuracy. When he makes an attack roll, he can use Channel Divinity to gain a +10 bonus to the roll. This choice is made after the roll, but before the DM says whether or not the attack hits or misses.
Proficiencies All armor, shields, all simple and martial weapons.

Combat Gear:
Chain mail
Shield
Warhammer
Javelin
Holy symbol (a ceramic eye)

Other Gear: Backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, waterskin, 50 feet of hemp rope, a scrap of cloth torn from the cloak of his mentor

Money: 10 gp

Carrying Capacity: 240 lbs
Push/Drag/Lift: 480 lbs

Backstory:

The battle was long and bloody. The ground was soaked with orc and dwarf blood, and the song of clashing steel sang out throughout most of the night, but finally the dwarven numbers began to thin, and the battle was won. The dwarves sounded their retreat, and Chief Krothu raised his gore-drenched ax in victory. Then the shadows began to move, but before Kago was able to shout his warning Krothu was down, and the dark elves had moved in like scavengers to pick the bones of their battered band. Kago tried to fight, tried to avenge his fallen Warchief, but a sting in his leg quickly spread throughout his body, first rendering him paralyzed, and then altogether unconscious.

How long had he been in this cage? A tenday? Two tendays? The flaying of the black gnome reminded him of countless goblin slaves he’d personally sacrificed to Gruumsh to receive his blessing. Was this a test, being forced to suffer the indignity of being chained up like one of his own slaves? With goblins, no less. Well, he’d be neither slave nor sacrifice to the spider-bitch, he was certain of that. He’d escape here and honor Gruumsh with an ocean of dark elf blood, or he’d die trying.
[/SBLOCK]

GlassEye

Adventurer
You're coming in at a good time, GlassEye. When you sit down to draft, you'll have the benefit of an overview of the tenor and flavor of the tentative party.

I'm not sure that helps any. :)

I've a couple of ideas but one image in particular in my image file has been returning to mind lately. The image is somewhat open to interpretation concerning race and gender but I'm thinking female halfling, possibly land druid. However, I'm not terribly familiar with 5e rules; how are older characters handled? If there are mechanical penalties rather than just fluff I will probably go another way.

YYKIvj.jpg

Image: Sukanto Debnath; CC

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I don't think I've seen any age-rules for 5e; is that right? -- That's a very sweet, serene image, actually. Awesome!

. . . how are older characters handled? If there are mechanical penalties rather than just fluff I will probably go another way.
I've double-checked the description section, the Halfling section, and the index in the PHB and see absolutely nothing that discusses age or age penalties. I think I know what you might be driving at...in 3.x, we had an "Ageing Effects" table to consider that stated that a character in her "old age" (for example) would suffer -2 to Str, Dex, and Con, but would gain +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha. Is that what you mean? If so, NOPE, 5e doesn't do that. There's no ability score boon or penalty to being any particular age. Just to be sure, I checked the DMG table of contents, index, and the section on creating NPCs and saw nothing in there, either.

Great pic, by the way. She looks like she could kick my ass or give me a hug, potay-to, potah-to. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases