If you enjoy hiking (humor)

Dark Jezter

First Post
LOL! That is a great article. I guess it just goes to show that some things, like hiking, require a lot more preperation than they appear to. ^_^

I've been on some tough hikes before, but this guy makes my trials feel very insignificant.

Just goes to show: Darwin was right, but occasionally some poor fool gets lucky.

I've done a three-day trip on the same trails, and it kicked my butt even though I'm in shape and know what I'm doing.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Great story!

I am a once and future backpacker (I'm taking a break until our daughter is old enough to at least day-hike with us). Over the years, I've seen and done some stupid stuff. Fortunately I did most of it when I was younger and saw more of it as I got older and more experienced.

A couple of guys in my gaming group have offered to accompany me on hikes before. On the first occasion, the guy had bought a piece of luggage to take with him on a church trip to Venezuela. This piece of luggage had shoulder straps that I wouldn't mind using to haul it from one terminal to another at the airport, but I certainly wouldn't want to tackle a dozen miles of rough, hilly terrain with it. He remained adamant that he would use it. Unfortunately (fortunately?) he got sick the night before the trip and couldn't make it. I went on alone and had a great time hiking by myself. It is a really peaceful experience.

On another occasion, a different guy I game with was coming along. He had been with me and another friend once before so I figured that he was not an utter novice. He had a decent (if a bit small) pack at least. We drove to the parking lot of the hiking trails (almost 2 hours from home) and got all our gear on. As I was asking him if he was ready to go, I glanced down and saw that he was wearing sandals (Teva style). I told him he forgot to put his boots on and he replied that he was going to hike in his sandals. I told him that he was crazy and to put his damn boots on. He informed me that he hadn't brought them along and was insistant that he wear the sandals. Off we went.

By the end of the hike, his feet were a bloody pulp. He was lagging farther and farther behind me and becoming less and less conversant. Near the end he told me that it was the last time he was ever going hiking. I told him that if he was going to insist upon wearing sandals, that was probably for the best.

At least neither of those guys were trying to cobble together a pack out of a duffel bag, a belt and some nylon string.

Crazy.

Airwolf

First Post
I have made five hikes into the Grand Canyon and he does not lie. I have been on those same trails and rested or camped in those campgrounds (along with others). I will be making a sixth trek into the Canyon in September of this year (provided I can get a permit). I have given water and food to people on my hikes, every time (I think). I will say this; if you can make the hike it is one of one of the most rewarding experiences you can imagine. The thrill of making it out the top is unbelievable and the excitement of wandering around one of the Seven Wonders of the World is astonishing.

He does a good job in talking about the dangers, the trip is extremely difficult and if you are not prepared it can kill you (no kidding). Since I live here in the state I hear about hikers being found dead in the Canyon often. We generally loose 2-3 people a year there. Mother Nature can be very unforgiving when she wants too.

If there is anyone out there that wants to give the Canyon a shot, let me know and if we have space on our permit you can come with us (at least you will be going with people who have done it before and survived. ;) ).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases