Of cheese sammiches

was

Adventurer
I toast two slices of bread, put butter and cheese on each slice, nuke it for 30 seconds then slap it all together. Takes 5 minutes to make it, eat it and clean up after. I usually use american cheese, but I found that smoked gouda makes for an interesting treat.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
grill the bread, cheddar on each slice of bread, then Ham - nice and thinly sliced - place the sammich together

PRESTO!​

Not the healthiest but a grill cheese (thick sourdough) with two slices of cheese and sloppy joe mix or even taco meat.

But the best grilled cheese is still with bacon.

bacon makes everything better

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I usually prefer ham to bacon on my grilled cheese sandwiches, especially when partnered with a serving of tomato soup. That is a comfort food combo that goes back to 2nd grade (and a laminated placemat decorated with seashells) for me.

This also partly explains my undying love affair with the Breakfast Jack.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Oh you uncivilised people, trying to save what ridiculous dough products you call "bread" from their deserved fate by toasting or baking it!

Just take a slice of good German bread from the next baker's, apply some fresh butter and any sort of tasty quality cooked/smoked/fresh/dry sausage or cheese and there you go! No need to use some fancy appliances.

Ah, good to live in Germany! :cool:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I usually prefer ham to bacon on my grilled cheese sandwiches, especially when partnered with a serving of tomato soup. That is a comfort food combo that goes back to 2nd grade (and a laminated placemat decorated with seashells) for me.

This also partly explains my undying love affair with the Breakfast Jack.

I don't know. Krogers sells thick cut bacon, double smoked.

This is getting me really hungry . . . I need breakfaast.

Oh you uncivilised people, trying to save what ridiculous dough products you call "bread" from their deserved fate by toasting or baking it!

Just take a slice of good German bread from the next baker's, apply some fresh butter and any sort of tasty quality cooked/smoked/fresh/dry sausage or cheese and there you go! No need to use some fancy appliances.

Ah, good to live in Germany! :cool:

Yes, we colonists are a barbaric lot, aren't w . . . . .

wait

. . . . .didn't the barbarians come from Bavaria?

Toasted, melted, grilled, or plain? What type of cheese, what type of bread? Any additions?

Of late I've been eating colby-jack in the pocket of a pita, toasted until just melted.

I could go with grilled, toasted or plain depending on my mood. I typically go for smooth cheeses like mozzarella, port salut, munster; occasionally I'l use cheddar, provolone or havarti. I like olive oil, tomato and basil or romaine lettuce. Then just add salt and pepper. Sometimes I like to blend the cheeses. Can't stand swiss though.

For bread, I found out I have celiac about five years ago so that limits options a bit. I like crusty bread that is soft on the inside. These days though I usually just stick to UDIs slices, bagels or one of their french rolls. If I were not hampered by that I'd go to the bakery around the corner and get scali bread.

:

We have bakeries here as well. I used to work in one. Sliced bread in a bag is more a matter of convenience. But I have an Italian Bakery down the street, a Kosher Bakery nearby, etc.

I will say though, for something like a grilled cheese, sliced packaged bread isn't such a bad fit.

Remove ads