D&D 5E Assualt on Dire Wood [OOC]

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I am fine with the crossbow expert issue, gunslinger is fine by me.

FYI, I haven't read all the other character submissions, and I was planning for my character to also have thw xbow expert feat. I hope this doesn't step on anybody's toes. He'll only wield 1 at a time, but as per the rules, he gets 2 shots and has a free hand to reload (and cast, mouhahaha). Unless he uses a shield, but he won't, that would be overpowered and more importantly, UGLY!!! ;-)

Cheers,

SG

Hillsy7

First Post
Ok great. I'll read up on the town too, get a feel for the place. I'm actually out tonight but will have my character concept up tomorrow hopefully.

pathfinderq1

First Post
I will probably have something up later today or tomorrow. First pitch is going to be Wood elf Rogue 1/Monk 4 (shadow). She was born in the High Forest, and was drawn out into the wider world by a relentless curiosity- which led her onto dark paths. After years a crisis of conscience led her home in search of wisdom and peace- instead she found her family and her village gone...

More details forthcoming!

>Rikka was born in a small village in the High Forest- one of the few permanent settlements of the wood elf tribes there. She was one of the rarest of elven children- twin-born, with a nearly identical brother (Tekka), and the two of them were curious, quick, and clever, prone to exploring far beyond their village, even as far as the roads which led out of the forest to human settlements. Then one day, everything changed. Both of the twins were essentially teenagers, and they were beginning to learn the first details of a real trade- in this case, scouting. They were staking out one of the trade roads, spying on passing caravans- each night they would return to their village to report on what they had seen. One day, Tekka didn't return from his hiding place- Rikka, her parents, and the other elves of the village all searched the area with no luck; it was as if Tekka had vanished into the air. For months, Rikka and her parents continued to search every day, and to wait every night- but there was no sign, no trace. Increasingly despondent, Rikka began to travel farther and farther afield- in time her wanderings brought her to the nearby human settlement of Silverymoon. While the city was peaceful and well-ruled, it still had its dark corners and unsavory folk. In time, Rikka fell in with a bad crowd- and was recruited by agents of the Dark Moon, who had come to spy in the city. Rikka's combination of loss and curiosity made her an ideal recruit for the dark monks- and her skills made her a quick study... Soon enough, she took to the roads as an agent for the order. At first she was merely a scout and spy, but as her skills grew, she was put to use for more deadly ends. Her sense of loss, and her desperate need to BELONG insulated her from the pangs of conscience for several years. Finally, though, things changed once more. In the country of Amn, the monks of the Dark Moon were embroiled in conflict with the infamous Shadow Thieves, a quite literal 'Shadow War' for control of the darker parts of society. Rikka was part of a small team sent to take out a high-ranking member of the Shadow Thieves- but the mission was a disaster. Rikka was badly injured, and most of her companions were slain- while she managed to escape, Rikka found herself abandoned by her order, as part of a 'peace treaty' between the two organizations. Finally realizing just how much she had been used, Rikka left Amn- and for the first time in years she headed back towards what had once been her home. Perhaps there she could find peace, and time to heal- in both body and spirit. But when she arrived in the High Forest, she found that things had changed- her entire village had been swallowed by the so-called Dire Wood...

>Character sheet to follow!

Last edited:

River Song

Explorer
Jakob Harkness, Human Fighter 5

ATTRIBUTES
STR: 16 (+3) ; CON: 16 (+3) ; DEX: 16 (+3) ; INT: 14 (+2) ; WIS: 10 (+0) ; CHA: 6 (-2)

Initiative: +3, Speed: 30, Passive perception: 12
Hit points: 49 Hit dice: 5d10
Wounds: 0

BASICS
Hair: Black, Eyes: Dark Brown, Skin: Tan
Height: 5'9" Weight: 165lbs Age: 20,
Alignment: CG
Background: Sage (Wizard’s apprentice)
AC: 18 (Armor+ Dex + Defence)

CHARACTERIZATION
Traits: I am horribly awkward in social situations.
Ideal:Self Improvement. The goal of a life of study is the betterment of oneself.
Bond:It is my duty to protect my students.
Flaw: I speak without really thinking through my words, invariably insulting others.

SAVING THROWS:
STR: +5, DEX: +3, CON: +5 INT: +2, WIS: +1, CHA: -2

PROFICIENCY
Proficiency Bonus: +3
Armor: All Armor and shields.
Weapons: All
Tools: None
Languages: Common, Elvish, Orc, Giant
Saving Throws: Str and Con

Proficient Skills: Arcana +4, History +4, Insight +3, Perception +2, Athletics +5 .
Non-proficient skills: Acrobatics +3, Animal Handling +0, Deception -2, Intimidation -2, Medicine +0, Nature +2, Perform -2, Persuasion -2, Religion +2, Sleight of Hand +3, Stealth +3, Survival +0 , Investigation +2.

Attack: Glaive+1 To hit +7 damage 1d10+4 (1d4+4 bonus attack)

Feats:
Polearm mastery
Sentinel

CLASS
Spellcasting (Spell save DC: 13, Spell Attack +4)
Second wind: 1d10+5
Action Surge
extra Attack
Weapon bond (glaive +1, longbow)

Cantrips: Light, Ray of frost
1st Level: Shield, Protection from Evil and Good, Alarm, Burning hands
Spell Slots: 3

EQUIPMENT (wealth=60gp)

Leather Armour
a belt pouch
Glaive +1 of Warning
explorer’s pack (backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.)
A bottle of black ink, a quill, a small knife,
Common clothes, Clothes, traveler’s,
Half Plate
Longbow + quiver +20 arrows
2 handaxes
longsword
glaive

Background: Jakob Harkness was a slender bookish boy who was an embarrassment to his warrior father. Shipped of to study at the Lantern library under the wizard Harmoosh he finally underwent the growth spurt his father had been hoping for. He came to the attention of Vastra the captain of the guard and was soon trained in the martial skills and flowered as both a warrior and mage.

Like most of his kind he was "loaned" out to caravans to provide protection and learn the practical nature of fighting. Many were the minor skirmishes that he undertook but it was the defence of Tarrigon Bridge that made him. The caravan had been attacked by a large warband of orcs lead by a hill giant and Harkness and another guard, Jaimeson, volunteered to act as a rear guard and buy the caravan time to escape. For three hours the two warrior held the bridge, between Harkness' darting glaive and Jaimeson's expertise with his shield work the two warriors exacted a bloody toll for every foot of the bridge their foe claimed.

Three hours of gruelling battle and Jaimeson finally fell, Harkness stood over his fallen companion, refusing to give ground his glaive a blur of steel. Almost on his last legs he almost wept for joy when elven warriors emerged from the trees with bows in hand and decimated the rest of the ordc horde. When the final count was made, the two warriors had killed over fifty orcs in their stand.

Last edited:

Skarsgard

Explorer
Bumble Cabbagetop, Halfling Cleric 5

ATTRIBUTES
STR: 6 (-2) ; CON: 16 (+3) ; DEX: 20 (+5) ; INT: 13 (+1) ; WIS: 16 (+3) ; CHA: 10 (+0)

Initiative: +5, Speed: 25, Passive perception: 13
Hit points: 43 Hit dice: 5d8
Wounds: 0

BASICS
Hair: Brown, Eyes: Blue, Skin: fair
Height: 3'4"" Weight: 45lbs Age: 20,
Alignment: NG (Lathander)
Background: folk Hero (I stood alone against a terrible enemy)
AC: 20 (studded Armor+ Dex + shield+cloak)

CHARACTERIZATION
Traits: If someone is in trouble I am always willing to help
Ideal: Respect. People deserve to be treated with dignity.
Bond: i protect those who cannot protect themselves.
Flaw: I am convinced in the significance of my destiny.

SAVING THROWS:
STR: -1, DEX: +6, CON: +4 INT: +2, WIS: +7, CHA: +4

PROFICIENCY
Proficiency Bonus: +3
Armor: Light/Medium Armor and shields.
Weapons: Simple
Tools: Cooks, vehicle (land)
Languages: Common, Halfling
Saving Throws: Wis/Cha

Proficient Skills: Insight +6, Animal Handling +6, Religion +4, Survival +6

Feats/RACE:
ASI
Lucky
Brave
Halfling Nimbleness
Stout resilience

CLASS
Spellcasting (Spell save DC: 14, Spell Attack +6)
Domain:Light
Domain feature: Warding Flare x3
Channel divinity: Turn undead, Radiance of the Dawn (2d10+5)
Destroy undead CR 1/2 or lower

Cantrips: Light, Mending, Sacred Flame, Guidance, Thaumaturgy
1st Level: Bless, Detect Magic, Burning hands, faire fire, healing word, cure wounds
2nd level: Flaming Sphere, scorching ray, enhance ability, lesser restoration
3rd level: revivify, daylight, fireball, dispel magic
Spell Slots: 4 3 2

EQUIPMENT (wealth=7gp)

Studded Leather Armour
a belt pouch
explorer’s pack (backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.)
Common clothes, Clothes, traveler’s,
shield
light crossbow + quiver +40 arrows
2 daggers
silvered dagger
cooks tools
holy symbol
iron pot
shovel
Pearl of Power - regain 1 slot of 3rd or lower. Recharge at dawn.
Cloak of Protection: +1 AC and Saves

Spell components:
50gp worth ruby dust - continual flame
300 gp in diamonds- revivify
300 gp in diamonds - revivify

Background:
Bumble is a wandering cleric of lathander who happened on the village of Colberg just south of the Field of Bones. The villagers were a haunted lot on the verge of fleeing. People had gone missing and some unholy terror was in control of the night.

Sensing evil afoot Bumble headed out into the night and waited. She did not have long to wait, out of the darkness swooped a score of Shadows seeking to add her to their number. Calling upon the power of the Dawnlord she brought day to night and destroyed the foul creatures in a moment. From the gloom she heard a scream of rage and knew she had destroyed the servants but the master was still at large.

Hitching up he skirt she strode off into the darkness, guided by her light and followed the source of the cry. A revenant! The battle nearly claimed her life but she managed to defeat the undead horror.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Updated Large Yan's sheet! Left to do: finalize gear plus background.

Two questions for you, 3Spd:

- Can he use the Eldritch Knight's Weapon Bond ability to bond his shield instead of a second weapon?

- Could you have a look at his spell selection and say if it's alright? Right now it's not strictly by the rules, you see (Mage Hand is technically not in the Druid's spell list (cute spectral animals nothwithstanding :)) and he has two 1st level Transmutation spells instead of just one).

3SpdDragster

First Post
Updated Large Yan's sheet! Left to do: finalize gear plus background.

Two questions for you, 3Spd:

- Can he use the Eldritch Knight's Weapon Bond ability to bond his shield instead of a second weapon?

- Could you have a look at his spell selection and say if it's alright? Right now it's not strictly by the rules, you see (Mage Hand is technically not in the Druid's spell list (cute spectral animals nothwithstanding :)) and he has two 1st level Transmutation spells instead of just one).

I am fine with the shield. mage hand doesn't seem like a deal breaker so fine by me, the rest of the spell selection is not an issue either.

3SpdDragster

First Post
Thanks for all the submissions, I will start the process of checking and selecting characters, I am going for a party of five characters.

I will update the original post with a Rogues Gallery and will ask you to re-post there.

Thanks again to everyone who has put forwards a character.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Thanks for the "spell check", 3Spd. :) Now finalized Yann's character sheet and wrote out one of his first adventures (see below).

Left to do: how he came to owe a life-debt to the wood elves of the High Forest!

[sblock=Adventure 1: Thundertree Island:]After the cave, he started wandering the waves with his friends, beaching their small sloops on rocky shores, crawling over Sargasso-covered derelicts and diving deep for treasures and trinkets with knifes between their teeth.

They once happened on a small island with a huge oak at its center, its top lightning struck, its branches spreading almost the entire width of the island! They, of course, immediately decided they *had* to climb the thing. The nest of eagles near the top complicated things a bit, and quite a few not-inconsiderable branches bent and sometimes outright broke under Yann's weight, but overall it was a great climb, and the view from up there... Fantastic!

Only, as it happened, the iron tree was sacred to the grigs, bullywugs and pixies who inhabited the island AND were waiting for them at the base, alerted by the eagle's no doubt. They didn't look too happy for the desecration either... "Luckily" though, the grig shaman recognized that the strange purple lichen they'd been rubbing over on their up was a great disease afflicting the sacred tree, one possibly linked with the strange lights that seemed to pulse from under the deepest roots of the tree on certain nights...

With the help of some brave grigs, and pixies (the bullywugs refused to help), the party stormed a series of water-drowned caves and claustrophobic cracks until they could squeeze their way to the living contagion of the demonic Purple Lichen. Lichen-controlled - lichen-diseased - beasts confronted them, one memorable battle featuring a stuck Yann desperately trying to fend off a possessed rat swarm in the dark while his companions battled the swarm's other half on the other side AND tried to pry him loose at the same time! Finally, they confronted the main pool of the evil substance, in a bouldery cave right under the sacred tree. Only the lichen was ready for them, having possessed part of the holy oak itself and shaped it into a spiky iron-oak creature, the purple-glowing lichen draped across its back like a living, infinite cloak!

The battle was fierce, but the party somehow prevailed, one of the fighters cutting off the thing's hands just before it could squeeze the life out of their mage and Yann finishing it off with a warhammer blow to the side of the head.

The islanders were very grateful and forgave them their transgression, setting up a yearly festival race to the top of the holy tree in celebration of their deeds. And they gave them mighty gifts and much food, Yann in particular cutting off one of the iron-wood creature's forearms and making it into a weapon and shield that were somehow now bonded to him, as he'd been told to do in a dream (sent by the many-antlered forest god?), while his druid friend made a breastplate from the creature's chest.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases