D&D 5E Out of the Abyss IC

Round 1

Raza dropped to the floor and began wailing. Kamael pressed the flint shard into Solace's hand. Her fingers curled around the shard; she now had two potential weapons in hand, the rusted iron bar given her by Brinn, and the flint shard from Kamael.

K'nyr was the first to react. He appeared not to have spied Kamael transferring the shard to Solace. K'nyr cringed at Raza's plaintive wail, then barked in Common, "Surface scum! Get up! UP!" K'nyr yanked at his keys, freeing them from his belt. He slid a slim iron key into the lock and twisted, then opened the gate. The keys were in his hand. He entered the prison cell and aimed a kick at Raza, but missed when Raza rolled out of the way. Surprised at his miss and unaccustomed to being challenged, K'nyr drew back his foot and prepared to aim another blow at the elderly prisoner.

OOC: Kago's up, [MENTION=23298]industrygothica[/MENTION]! I'm without my MM, so I've rolled init without using any Dex modifiers for the drow and the quaggoth (and ditto for K'nyr's kick at Raza). The init for the drow and quaggoth will stay what it currently is for this combat. But if I get home and see the drow gets a better attack modifier, please don't be surprised if in a subsequent round the modifier increases.

346apmw.jpg

[sblock=Larger Map]
1fg2vm.jpg
[/sblock]

Initiative:
K'nyr (BI86) 18
Drow Guard (BG85) 18
Kago 15
Solace 14
Brinn 9
Quaggoth (BI84) 9
Raza 6
Kamael 3
NPC Prisoners 1

GM: K'nyr (Drow Guard) __/__
Drow Guard __/__
Quaggoth __/__
Derendil (BK85) __ /__
Ront (BL85) __/__
Eldeth (beneath Kago in BL86)
Buppido (BN87)
Jimjar (BM88)
Sarith (BK88)
Shuushar (BN86)
Stool (BN87)
Topsy and Turvy (BM88)

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
Kago continues to let the spider skitter through his fingers as the drow assaults the old halfling. She'd be of little use anyway, he reasoned. He maintains his stance, but holds his position for now. He knew what he'd do should the other prisoners attempt anything, but he was certain that if an orc started the assault, he'd likely be on his own save Bront, and Kago had a mind to kill that one himself.

OOC: Use my reaction to ready an action. If combat starts, Kago will move to the nearest square adjacent to K'nry and attempt a shove to knock him prone. (Str +3; In the interest of saving time, feel free to make that roll for me should the need arise.) Also, I really want them to notice this spider, just to see their reaction, if any. Anything I can roll to make that happen, or should I just shout "Hey, looky what I've got!"? :)

Code:
[B]AC:[/B] 18; [B]HP:[/B] 21/21
[B]Initiative:[/B] -1
[B]Saves:[/B] WIS +4, CHA +2
[B]Passive Perception:[/B] 12
[B]Languages:[/B] Orc, Common, Goblin
Darkvision 60 ft.
[B]Skills:[/B] Athletics +5, Insight +4, Medicine +4, Survival +4
[B]Stats:[/B] Str 16 (+3), Dex 8 (-1) , Con 13 (+1), Int 10 (+0), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 10 (+0)

-[B]Inspiration[/B]? [[COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR]] Yes, [ ] No
-[B]Channel Divinity available[/B]? [[COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR]] Yes, [ ] No (recharge after a long or short rest)
-[B]War Priest[/B] (bonus action, 2 uses per long rest): 1.[ ] 2.[ ]

[B]Spell Slots:[/B] 4, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
[B]Slots Used:[/B]  0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
[B]Spells Prepared:[/B] (5) [URL="http://ephe.github.io/grimoire/"](Grimoire)[/URL]
[LIST]
[*][B]Cantrips:[/B] Sacred Flame, Spare the Dying, Thaumaturgy
[*][B]Domain Spells:[/B] Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, Magic Weapon, Spiritual Weapon
[*][B]1st Level:[/B] Command (*), Cure Wounds (*), Guiding Bolt (*), Healing Word (*)
[*][B]2nd Level:[/B] Prayer of Healing (*)
[/LIST]
(*) can be cast at higher levels

K'nyr's eyes swiveled to Kago. Then to the fist-sized hoary spider waggling its mandibles as the spider crept along Kago's knuckles. The drow guard hardened his eyes and hissed in a breath, his eyes never leaving the orc in the center of the cell. K'nyr's body stiffened, alerting the other drow guard standing on the rope bridge outside the gate that trouble was afoot. The guard sheathed his short sword and drew his light crossbow, fitting a quarrel to the stock.

OOC: Solace is up to bat, [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION]! The map is unchanged, for now at least.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
OOC: Well, seeing the map means there's a lot less space on the "outside" of the cell than I'd realized. BH85 would be the only possible target destination, is that right? Which way does the cell door swing? Would someone at BH 85 be able to keep the door open just by blocking things? Can she move there and (action) Dodge?

[sblock=Solace 21/21]
[size=+1]Solace[/size], Aasimar Rogue Tanner 3 (Swashbuckler)

Initiative: +5; AC: 12; HP: 21/21 (3d8); Speed: 30 ft; Inspiration: Yes.
In Hand: rusty club.

Str -1 Dex +2 (save+4) Con +1 Int +1 (save +3) Wis +2 Cha +3
Skills: Acrobatics (expert), Perception, Stealth, Deception, Persuasion (expert), Insight, Thieves' Tools
Racial Abilities: resistance to necrotic and radiant; Light (cantrip); Lesser Restoration (1/long).
Rogue: +2d6 Sneak Attack; bonus action to Hide, Disengage, or Dash; Fancy Footwork (no opportunity attack from someone I've melee attacked that turn).
[/sblock]

OOC: Places to go outside the cell include: the rope bridge, the guard tower (the round shape to the left of the rope bridge), the ledge to the north and south of the cell gate. There's enough room on the ledge for characters to walk single file. Everyone heard the kuo-toa tell Raza that there are three guards inside the guard tower (which really is a stalactite hanging from the ceiling, but I've yet to describe that). The gate swings inside the cell. But the gate is unlikely to autolock if it closes, and you would all know that...the gate has a padlock.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The gate swings inward, and Solace sees her opening. If she can get outside the gate, she will do so. As she begins to move, she makes a quick decision. She doesn't really want the club in her hand, and others can use it more effectively. So she passes it to Kago.

In Orcish, she spits, "Make yourself useful, peacemaker."

She doesn't mean to use such a vile insult to the cleric, but she wants to motivate him. She is heading for the guard tower door, on the rope bridge, but there is an elf in the way. This way she makes room for others to advance. She Dodges any blows that come her way.

OOC: Move to BH 85 (if BH84 is possible to leave room for another, that'd be good; I am assuming (but would find to) if the gate prevents the guard at BI 86 to have an opportunity attack. This is not a thought-through plan.

Also, the ground debris on the map in the cell looks like splotchy forearm hair to me. Just sayin'.

Round 1, continued

Solace handed the rusted iron bar to Kago, then darted past K'nyr and past the open gate. Very soon she stood on the ledge outside the cell, breathing free air. Her hands were manacled at the wrists in front of her waist, with a short length of chain binding the wrist cuffs to an iron belt at her waist. The iron collar at her neck chaffed. The drow guard on the bridge had yet to finish cranking his light crossbow, but before he knew it, Solace was nearly upon him. The guard looked up in surprise as Solace slipped out of the cell. He called to K'nyr in [sblock=Undercommon]"Schiesse! Check their restraints, make sure none have slipped through or broken the binding. Especially the orcs and His Highness. On the double, before Ilvara arrives!"[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]Brinn's turn, [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION]! ALL: Some housekeeping. Your feet are unshackled (so your speed is not restricted), but your wrists are manacled in front of you (and affixed on 18" of chain to an iron belt at your waist...see the OP for a description of the manacles). There is also an iron collar on your neck (the collar is not affixed to anything, but it does mark you as property). Your shackled wrists mean an attack roll with a weapon other than a dagger or an unarmed strike suffers disadvantage. Spellcasters can cast spells with verbal and somatic components once free of the cell, but do not have either an arcane or religious focus (those were taken from you), or material components, so no spells that require a material component may be cast unless or until you have the required material component. As an action, the manacles could potentially be slipped out of (Dex DC 20 check) or broken (Str DC 20 check), or unlocked with either the key or by using thieves' tools (Dex DC 15 check). No one has their armor or shield, so please verify that your current AC is correct.

Solace did not provoke an OA with her movement because she did not move out of a foe's reach. I re-did the scale of the map background, which completely changed the grid square numbering. Sorry for any confusion that may result from that, but I wanted to widen the scale of the map. Also, hell, KS, now all I can see in Blando's cartography background is splotchy arm hair. THANKS. :D I'm afraid we'll have to live with it. Re-doing the background exceeds my Excel-fu.[/sblock]

2damvmc.jpg

Credit for the background: Wizards of the Coast Cartography: Jared Blando
Google Pic of map

Initiative:
K'nyr (AA19) 18
Drow Guard (Y18) 18
Kago 15
Solace 14
Brinn 9
Quaggoth (AA17) 9
Raza 6
Kamael 3
NPC Prisoners 1

GM: K'nyr (AA19) __/__
Drow Guard (Y18) 13/13
Quaggoth (AA17) __/__
Derendil (AC18) 12/45
Ront (AD18) 4/15
Eldeth (beneath Kago in AD19) 1/16
Buppido (AF20) 12/13
Jimjar (AE21) 6/27
Sarith (AC21) 2/16
Shuushar (AF19) 15/18
Stool (AF20) 3/7
Topsy and Turvy (AE21) 5/33 and 4/33

Last edited:

When Brinn stalked forward and looked as if he was about to attack K'nyr, Kago sprang into action. The hulk of an orc bulled his way through the crowd of prisoners, and shoved K'nyr to the ground at his feet. Brinn was quick to react, kicking and beating at K'nyr with a flurry of blows, one of which connected, dealing 4 points of damage. K'nyr laid stunned at Brinn's feet, and Brinn was once again quick to take advantage of his foe's weakness; he shunted K'nyr further into the cell toward Bront and His Highness.

His Highness pounced. Long claws rent drow flesh, and blood began to flow from multiple ragged wounds as Derendil savaged the prone K'nyr, ripping into the drow guard for 9 points of damage. K'nyr stilled and moved no more.

OOC: Kago's readied action to shove prone K'nyr needs to be resolved prior to Brinn's action. Kago moved to AB19 and attempted to knock down K'nyr. The shove attempt was [url=http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.php?rollid=106054]successful, so Kago shoved K'nyr sideways into AB20 (right at Brinn's feet). Brinn's unarmed attack and his second flurry of blows missed, but his first flurry hit. Brinn shoved K'nyr into grid square AD19, right at Ront's and His Highness's feet. Bowling for orcs, indeed. [MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION], Raza's up to bat!

a0ihwh.jpg

Credit for the background: Wizards of the Coast Cartography: Jared Blando

Initiative:
K'nyr (AA19) 18
Drow Guard (Y18) 18
Kago 15
Solace 14
Brinn 9
Quaggoth (AA17) 9
Raza 6
Kamael 3
NPC Prisoners 1

GM: K'nyr (AA19) dead
Drow Guard (Y18) 13/13
Quaggoth (AA17) __/__
Derendil (AC18) 12/45
Ront (AD18) 4/15
Eldeth (beneath Kago in AD19) 1/16
Buppido (AF20) 12/13
Jimjar (AE21) 6/27
Sarith (AC21) 2/16
Shuushar (AF19) 15/18
Stool (AF20) 3/7
Topsy and Turvy (AE21) 5/33 and 4/33

Last edited:

The quaggoth perched on the ledge sprang to action. Sharp claws swung at Solace, who continued to dodge of the way as the quaggoth's attack missed.

OOC: Thanks, GlassEye, for pointing out I forgot a quaggoth. Solace Dodged, which confers disadvantage on attacks made against her by foes she can see. The quaggoth missed both its claw attacks this round, so I didn't bother with disadvantage since the first attack roll on each of its two attacks missed. The map remains the same. OK, *now* Raza is up, [MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION]!

Remove ads