Jekyll and Hyde 2015

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I don't know if many of you have seen it or if its even available in your nation but I'm now up to episode four of the new ITV series, set in 1930s London which follows Robert Jekyll, the grandson of the original doctor as he uncovers the mystery of his true identity and family curse.

The show has a Victorian Gothic vibe which I'm liking and also brings in a few other interesting elements from the era (including the rollicking good adventure, embodied in the jolly hockey sticks gal Hills).

Most interestingly to me is the background set up which had the young Robert Jekyll sequested away in Ceylon before coming to London where he becomes a priority target of MI-0 a super-secret service agency led by Sir Roger Bulstrode whose brief includes the suppressing of monsters and keeping the nightmares at bay. MI-0 are opposed by the evil Tenebrae - an organisation made up of monsters intent on taking over the world.
both sides want to recruit Hyde. I could well see this 1930' era being used in a Monster Hynt

Anyway while the start was interesting, it has gotten increasingly cartoonish and Hyde is swinging somewhere between being a brutal, self indulgent monster and a strongman superhero with a healing factor. That said I probably will keep watching to see how the mystery is resolved and because some of the supporting characters including Garson, Hills, Navi and Lydia are actually interesting.

Apparently there were complaints put in about the violence involved, but its nothing extraordinary and I think a little overblown. Certainly no more scary than Doctor Who albeit that Hyde is a violent character. Its nowhere as good as Doctor Who but certainly sits fairly alongside things like Merlin

Ryujin

Legend
It's a pity, but we don't seem to get a lot of ITV stuff over here in Canada. It took forever for a provider to pick up "Primeval", for example.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I saw the first one on TV a few weeks ago, but it didn't grab me at all.

yeah, gotta admit I only watched it cause it was on after The Flash and had big banner ads everywhere. I did look at it sideways a few times in that first episode looking for something to like since the main story is hooky.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I barely have a reading on IMDB, and Netflix has nuttin. So there is no showing here in the usa.

Remove ads