What piece of media did hype kill for you?

horacethegrey

First Post
Whether it be a movie, a tv show, a video game or a book. What piece of media disappointed you greatly because of the unhealthy levels of hype surrounding it? Alternatively you would have avoided said media because of the aforementioned hype machine.

For me the answer comes easy, anything by Joss Whedon. Seriously what is with the geek universe's fascination with this guy? I never got into Buffy, and Angel I think I've never watched a full episode of. Firefly on the other hand people seemed to hype as the next great scifi savior on TV after Star Trek. I watched probably 2 episodes and thought it was just okay, nothing revolutionary as the browncoats claim it was.

Probably the only thing that Whedon has done that I really enjoyed was the first Avengers film. I thought he did a pretty good job with that despite some niggling flaws. Age of Ultron on the other hand though, massively dropped the ball by amplifying all the problems I had with the first film. So count me as glad that the Russo Brothers are taking up the reins for Infinity War.

So, does anyone have any examples they want to share?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I cannot recall any time hype has set my expectations high, and then found the thing disappointing by comparison.

I have, however, have had things "Browncoated" - where the onslaught of fan squee was so great that I just didn't want to see the media at all, where fans push it at you so frequently and vehemently that you have the reaction of avoiding the media. Ironically, Firefly was no browncoated, as I was on it from the first episode myself.

My wife, for example, generally avoids the Marvel TV universe because of this. Similarly with Doctor Who, for her - when fans look down on you for *not* seeing a thing, that can often ruin the experience you could have had.

For me, a lot of anime falls into this category, I think.

delericho

Legend
Lots of things have failed to live up to their hype, with the Star Wars prequels and SPECTRE being the biggest examples.

But there are very few things where the hype has caused me to feel negatively towards something. Usually, I can just ignore it. However, there is one thing where the hype, and especially the fan community surrounding it, left me negatively predisposed to something before I got a chance to see for myself: 4e.

Great Expectations :p...in all honesty it would have to be GoT for me, i tried reading the first book and watching the tv show,but it just didnt appeal to me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Great Expectations :p...in all honesty it would have to be GoT for me, i tried reading the first book and watching the tv show,but it just didnt appeal to me.

The question wasn't "what thing did you see but didn't like?"

It was what thing was killed because of media hype.

For me, nothing, I think. I might have delayed seeing something because of hype, but I don't think hype ever ruined anything for me.

The question wasn't "what thing did you see but didn't like?"

It was what thing was killed because of media hype.

For me, nothing, I think. I might have delayed seeing something because of hype, but I don't think hype ever ruined anything for me.

It was hyped by a number of my friends and the media at least here in the US, not sure about the UK.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It was hyped by a number of my friends and the media at least here in the US, not sure about the UK.

I'm sure it was. You said you didn't watch it because you tried it and didn't like it. Not because it was hyped.

But whatever. Carry on! I've typed more words than my level of interest or love of pedantry warrants. :)

Cor Azer

First Post
I'm not sure if hype itself ever killed my interest in something, but there are a great number of shows and movies whose hype got me excited, but that I never got around to watching.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases