What piece of media did hype kill for you?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The new Star Wars movie.

I hated Phantom Menace enough I didn't watch the next two!. Still, when I saw the earliest ads for the new one! I was guardedly enthusiastic.

But the constant barrage of ads, the merchandising campaign...I can't escape it. I'm over it.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This new Star Wars movie is the first that is coming close to being killed by the hype. I'm sooooooooooo sick of all of the various commercials using Star Wars as their theme to sell products.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Handful of recent movies. The last Terminator I thought was going to be incredibly action heavy and with crazy battle scenes... yeah right.

Not so much as ruined it but I must have seen over a third of Guardians of the Galaxy on the internet before it was released.

Sorta like the Superman vs Batman vs Donatello trailer

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
The latest Mad Max movie. All they Hype plus the discussions of how it was a vehicle for the feminist movement and blah blah blah. I just didn't even want to see it when I finally would have had time. Still haven't.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I don't think I can think of anything that hype has ruined for me, so I guess maybe I'm one of the lucky few. Even the people who are not liking the new Star Wars movie because of hype doesn't make sense to me, though I guess for whatever reason I manage to avoid it. I think I've seen 1 or 2 trailers, I can't remember and I don't even know when the movie is supposed to be coming out.

I just watch things for their own merit and I pretty much assume nothing is going to be as good as other people say it will be, though on occasion I am pleasantly surprised. :)

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I could have probably enjoyed the latest Mad Max film if it had been presented as just another entry in the universe, but the ongoing cries of how it was the "greatest film of 2015" and "so groundbreaking" started me looking for all the flaws; and oh my I found them.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I could have probably enjoyed the latest Mad Max film if it had been presented as just another entry in the universe, but the ongoing cries of how it was the "greatest film of 2015" and "so groundbreaking" started me looking for all the flaws; and oh my I found them.

Exactly! That kind of talk has perpetuated my resistance to seeing the movie. I am sure when I watch it now I would feel the same as you. Just watching a movie with glaring flaws instead of enjoying some cinema entertainment.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Exactly! That kind of talk has perpetuated my resistance to seeing the movie. I am sure when I watch it now I would feel the same as you. Just watching a movie with glaring flaws instead of enjoying some cinema entertainment.

You need to get more cynical about people rather than the movies themselves:)

When the critics call the fourth movie in a series groundbreaking I just accept that critics are talking out their bums and its going to be another nice ride of a road warrior movie without the 'story' that Thunderdome imposed on it. Fury Road was a good Road Warrior movie...(if it was the best movie of 2015 its because everything else was dross)

Remove ads