D&D 5E [GUIDE] My Word Is My Sword: The Paladin Guide

Stormscythe1

First Post
Heavy Armor Mastery timing for Polearm Vengeance build

Hi there, and a massive thanks to Gladius Legis for creating this guide - I am new to D&D and found it hugely helpful.

I love the Vengeance Polearm Master build outlined in the original guide and am hoping to follow it quite closely, although I'm only Level 3 right now :) One question: I am definitely aiming to pick up Heavy Armor Master at some stage - in place of one of the STR ASIs, since my STR came out at 17 after character creation and Variant Human bonus. I take the point that HAM is at its most useful early in the game (I took Polearm Mastery as my starting feat).

Would there be a case for taking HAM earlier than either Great Weapon Mastery or Resilient Con (which the guide suggests at L4 and L8) or would that be a strictly less optimal way of doing things? I guess I'd be on track to take HAM at L12, otherwise. As a side note, my CON is 13 after chargen, so I'd benefit quite nicely from Resilient too.

Hi there, and a massive thanks to Gladius Legis for creating this guide - I am new to D&D and found it hugely helpful.

I love the Vengeance Polearm Master build outlined in the original guide and am hoping to follow it quite closely, although I'm only Level 3 right now :) One question: I am definitely aiming to pick up Heavy Armor Master at some stage - in place of one of the STR ASIs, since my STR came out at 17 after character creation and Variant Human bonus. I take the point that HAM is at its most useful early in the game (I took Polearm Mastery as my starting feat).

Would there be a case for taking HAM earlier than either Great Weapon Mastery or Resilient Con (which the guide suggests at L4 and L8) or would that be a strictly less optimal way of doing things? I guess I'd be on track to take HAM at L12, otherwise. As a side note, my CON is 13 after chargen, so I'd benefit quite nicely from Resilient too.

HAM is a bit more situational as the levels go up. It's not a bad strategy for spending a feat to get a minor benefit and up your str if you have odds. The issue is how common magic weapon damage is going to be. In other editions it was fairly common, but in 5e it could be very uncommon or rather common depending on the campaign. You should still see it a good bit, or you could not. Also part of the appeal of a Polearm is that it lets you deal damage at a further range if you have something like a barb or fighter you can put between the 2 of you.

I'd say that the real question is party comp and op. If the game is really hard core and if your role is DPR then GWF is probably better sooner then later. If there is a cleric or Wizard you can get by without worrying (and if there is a cleric then smite away your worries) But if isntead you are expected to be tanking sentinel would likely serve you much better then either since you can essentially lock an enemy down, denying it the chance to even try to hit you.

I also went Variant human and IM deciding between shield master and HAM still as well.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

Personally I'd wait on GWM. Your attack bonus is kind of low early to make great use of the -5/+10 part. HAM would get you to +4 bonus and damage reduction. The xtra damage and attack and damage reduction would be useful for you all the time as opposed to the somewhat situational nature of GWM with a low attack bonus.

NotAShellfish

First Post
About Oath of Conquest, it's worth mentioning that this archetype has nice synergy with Fallen Aasimar from Volo's, because of his racial ability to make enemies fear you for very short duration. It probably makes this option sky blue for paladins of conquest.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
About Oath of Conquest, it's worth mentioning that this archetype has nice synergy with Fallen Aasimar from Volo's, because of his racial ability to make enemies fear you for very short duration. It probably makes this option sky blue for paladins of conquest.

other good choices are dragonborn for the dragonfear feat and half-elf/half-orc/human for the prodigy efat (for expertise in athletics to make your shield bash very hard to resist...then aura +fear means they can't get up).

Kevin Duffy

First Post
What do you guys think of a str based S&B (pal 6 / sorc 14) Using either Crown or Conquest and Divine Soul?
Tanky, and using careful web shenanigans is the plan.

Remove ads