D&D 5E [GUIDE] My Word Is My Sword: The Paladin Guide

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It is.

Though amusingly, it's inferior to the Oathbreaker's similar CD since Conquest's lets the enemy save every round flat out, while the Oathbreaker version only allows a save after the enemy is 30 feet away.

I need to look at OathBreaker again I didn't remember that.

vawer

First Post
What do you think the best multiclass option for Polearm+Sentinel+GWM Vengeance Paladin? I'm leaning towards the new Xanathar's Hexblade Warlock. But Sorcerer is also pretty sweet.

FrogReaver

What do you think the best multiclass option for Polearm+Sentinel+GWM Vengeance Paladin? I'm leaning towards the new Xanathar's Hexblade Warlock. But Sorcerer is also pretty sweet.

I've never understood the want to put GWM on a paladin. For most of your career against the most common AC values you face you will be better off having just taken +2 str. Polearm master I totally get. GWM not so much.

In the right party maybe, or maybe to shine against bosses because of your advantage channel divinity as a vengeance paladin. But against the average enemy its going to be very little benefit?

FrogReaver

To answer your question you probably are best off with battlemaster fighter. Precision attack is too good to pass up for any GWM or Sharpshooter out there. Add on action surge and an additional fighting style and you are in business.

mellored

Legend
You need 3 levels of warlock to get big weapons.

Also, that's a lot of feats, and multiclass slows that down as well.

I've never understood the want to put GWM on a paladin. For most of your career against the most common AC values you face you will be better off having just taken +2 str. Polearm master I totally get. GWM not so much.

In the right party maybe, or maybe to shine against bosses because of your advantage channel divinity as a vengeance paladin. But against the average enemy its going to be very little benefit?

Bless helps any Paladin use GWM to a decent extent.

I agree it's best for Vengeance, though. As well as Devotion (Sacred Weapon).

mellored

Legend

Agreed. Unless you have an accuracy boost GWM (or Sharpshooter), is a pretty meh feat.

That said, accuracy boosts aren't that uncommon (bless, prone, insibility, elemental weapon, devotion, etc). And sharpshooter get's super easy archery style.

Bless helps any Paladin use GWM to a decent extent.

I agree it's best for Vengeance, though. As well as Devotion (Sacred Weapon).
The downside, is bless/devotion takes an action (and vengeance is only 1 target). If you have to waste your first round buffing, you not getting that much.

So you need a good scout, or maybe go sorcerer 3 for quicken.

Some fights also start with the enemy more than 30 feet away, too. In which case you cast Bless (or Sacred Weapon) because you couldn't make a melee attack, anyway.

mellored

Legend
Some fights also start with the enemy more than 30 feet away, too. In which case you cast Bless (or Sacred Weapon) because you couldn't make a melee attack, anyway.
True. But you could also throw a javalin and kill a kobold before it get's a turn.

I don't have time to run the numbers at the moment.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases