D&D 5E [GUIDE] My Word Is My Sword: The Paladin Guide

Grue AC

First Post
I really like Treachery. Too bad you can't choose between 2d10 or 20 if you have advantage. Nerfs Hold Person a bit.

Last edited:

I really like Treachery. Too bad you can't choose between 2d10 or 20 if you have advantage. Nerfs Hold Person a bit.

It wouldn't matter if you could, for two reasons: (a) Because Poison Strike isn't called out as "extra" damage the way Divine Smite and smite spells are. So it's not multiplied on a crit. And also (b) because the damage is "immediately after the attack," so it's even more explicitly not considered part of the attack itself.

Ovarwa

Explorer
Hi,

What is the best moment to get Warlock lvl when starting as a Pal (i'm planning 3lvl dip)?
Right now i'm thinking about Pal2\Warlock1 (to get a ranged attack and other features ASAP) -> Pal6\Warlock1 -> Pal6\Warlock3
Is it viable or totally not worth it delaying 2nd attack for one lvl?

Depends what you want. If you mostly want to be a Paladin, getting Paladin 6 ASAP before considering Warlock is attractive. Cha to saves at 6 is fantastic. Second Attack is fantastic. An ASI at 4 is really good. Etc. But if you really want that ranged attack, or plan to emphasize it, you'll still have second attack at level 5, but with EB rather than melee.

Choices.

Anyway,

Ken

Aloha Friday

First Post
Would you take RES-CON as your level 4 feat over GWM? Im a dragonborn GW OoV build, sailor background. Already have 20 STR 18 CON 18 CHA after my racial modifiers I rolled really well.

I was thinking GWM or RES Con at 4, inspiring leader at 8, RES CON or GWM at 12, and +1CON+1CHA at 16, and +1CON at 19.

I'd take Resilient (CON) at Lv. 8. That's one level before you get 3rd-level spells (Haste) and also one level before your proficiency bonus is really significant (+4).

Probably GWM at Lv. 4 and Inspiring Leader at 12, especially with those stats.

Vulf

First Post
I would take Resilient Constitution at level 4 to help your party. It will push your concentration checks into auto-save territory, so you can go into melee and keep those spells running regardless of the damage you take. Bless at 2nd level for 4 party members is a serious increase to the DPR of your group, especially when they all make their saves against paralysis because of your +4 Aura of Protection and +1d4 bless.

It also frees the cleric up to run Spirit Guardians or another serious spell.

Focus on optimizing your party teamwork, it can be fun too!

I'm playing a Vengeance Half-elf at level 8 and I do not regret taking Res Con at level 4. Curse of Strahd is tough and maintaining Bane on the giant tree house, buffing saving throws against wights, these are the things that prevent a TPK.

Last edited:

Motorskills

Explorer
So I'm developing a human variant Devotion paladin, Protection Fighting Style. I'm basing him around Inspiring Leader, RES-CON, Aura of Vitality, Sanctuary, Aid, Beacon of Hope, Protection From Evil (self) and such.

What do y'all think should my stat development be, considering I don't think that STR is necessarily all that critical to me (despite what your guide says! :) )?

I reckon I should focus on CHA and CON. I can always employ Smites for when damage output is more urgent, but essentially keeping everyone else up in the fight for longer is the key, massively improved starting HP, healing throughout as necessary.

I'm currently 10th level, I'm looking for what you think my stats should be at 12th, 16th and 20th levels, and whether I am overlooking any critical spells or other aspects.

Georlik

First Post
So I'm developing a human variant Devotion paladin, Protection Fighting Style. I'm basing him around Inspiring Leader, RES-CON, Aura of Vitality, Sanctuary, Aid, Beacon of Hope, Protection From Evil (self) and such.

What do y'all think should my stat development be, considering I don't think that STR is necessarily all that critical to me (despite what your guide says! :) )?

I reckon I should focus on CHA and CON. I can always employ Smites for when damage output is more urgent, but essentially keeping everyone else up in the fight for longer is the key, massively improved starting HP, healing throughout as necessary.

I'm currently 10th level, I'm looking for what you think my stats should be at 12th, 16th and 20th levels, and whether I am overlooking any critical spells or other aspects.

Starting 8, 14,15,10,10,16 with Inspiring Leader, Medium Armor and Stealth proficiency.
Maxing Charisma first, Then going for Resilient (Con) at lvl 12 (your proficiency bonus is high enough at that level so you can reap the benefits). Then maximising Con or Dex to your liking.

You may also decrease your INT to 8, increase STR to 15 and wear heavy armor. No Stealth option, but if your teammates are uncooperative you can always equip the lance and protect your mount.
Played very similar build (character was a Half-Elf though) and boy it was fun.

Remove ads