Star Wars with Fate

fjw70

Adventurer
I haven't played Fate before but it looks like it would work great for SW so I thought I would brainstorm a basic framework for a Star Wars Fate game. Ideas and suggestions welcome.

i think I will we use FAE (sort of) replacing approaches with skill groups. The groups are as follows.

Physical (melee attacks, dodge, athletics)
Shooting (pistols, rifles)
Starship (piloting, astrogation, gunnery)
Technical (starship repair, computers, starship repair)
Interaction (command, diplomacy, lying)
The Force (various force powers)

You start with a +3, +2, +2, +1, +1, +0 in the six skill groups. Unless you have permission from your high concept to be a force user then The Force is assigned the +0. Stunts allow you to specialize by giving +2 to one of the specialties in parentheses above (or another specialty you want).

The Force allows you to use any Force powers but you can use stunts to specialize. I don't want The Force skill group to be used as a replacement for other skill groups so (for example) you couldn't use The Force to pilot of ship.

That's the basic framework.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I played in an almost all-Jedi game that used straight FAE. There's an elegance to the Approaches as written. They're not strictly your physical or mental capabilities, nor are they skills, the Approaches as written are descriptors of how you accomplish tasks.

Each of the Approaches as your top rated yields a completely different feel for characters than is possible with a fundamental change as you're describing. As written you can have characters with largely the same skill set (ie Jedi) but have those character feel completely different in play.

As written, a Careful Jedi, or a Quick Jedi, or a Flashy Jedi are completely different characters, with your change in an all Jedi game you're going to have Physical and The Force rated highly with everything else lagging behind. Granted, you're not likely planning an all-Jedi game, but using that as an example illustrates the beauty and elegance of the Approaches as written.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The Force allows you to use any Force powers but you can use stunts to specialize. I don't want The Force skill group to be used as a replacement for other skill groups so (for example) you couldn't use The Force to pilot of ship.

But, clearly you *can* use the Force to pilot a ship. Check out Luke destroying the Death Star!

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I recommend giving the approaches a try. We used FAE (with approaches as written) for a superhero game and it worked very well. It made heroes with similar powers play differently, as @overgeeked pointed out perfectly.

My favorite part is that it gave each character competency in all arenas of play. All characters were able to contribute in social situations, combat situations, and skillful situations without needing a social, combat, or skilled "build", as long as they used their favored approaches.

Some groups could have an issue with players spamming their best approach in all situations. No one in my group tried that but a way to combat it (and what we do) is for the players to explain their actions and let the GM tell us what approach to use.

fjw70

Adventurer
I recommend giving the approaches a try. We used FAE (with approaches as written) for a superhero game and it worked very well. It made heroes with similar powers play differently, as @overgeeked pointed out perfectly.

My favorite part is that it gave each character competency in all arenas of play. All characters were able to contribute in social situations, combat situations, and skillful situations without needing a social, combat, or skilled "build", as long as they used their favored approaches.

Some groups could have an issue with players spamming their best approach in all situations. No one in my group tried that but a way to combat it (and what we do) is for the players to explain their actions and let the GM tell us what approach to use.

I will take another look. I wasn't really that crazy about the approaches when reading them.

Remove ads