Star Wars Spoilers Thread [Spoilers]

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy. It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good. I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team. Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their...

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy.

It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good.

I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team.

Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their hand cut off?

Luke lives in Ireland, eh?

Question: WHY was there a map to Luke, and why was it split into two? I feel like I missed something. For that matter, why a map and not just some coordinates? Seems like a random puzzle set up for the sake of it.
ebdc7e9da0a98a020498d701b47512ef.jpg

MarkB

Legend
LOL! I got an itch to watch some Star Trek lately, so I've revisited Star Trek The Next Generation, Star Trek Voyager, and Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

On DS9's second episode, Odo is investigating a murder and looks at a screen in a room aboard a ship that is docked with the station. The cut to the screen was quick, so I decided to back it up and pause it.

It was kinda neat. It was an itinerary for the ship's passenger. There's an entry for each major event that the passenger experienced. They had a lifeboat drill. The passenger had a personal meeting with another character. There were a few other things.

The entry that logged the ship's previous port? It read: Departure from Alderaan.

LOL.

I remember the old Star Trek TNG Technical Manual had a sidebar about all the graphics they came up with for that show. In a lot of cases they'd bury little in-jokes in them, because they knew they weren't likely to ever be filmed in sufficient close-up to be legible (ah, those quaint old days before HD television). The example I recall is that, apparently, one of the readouts on the Enterprise-D's biobed monitors is "Percentage of medical insurance remaining".

Staffan

Legend
Didn't they say that only the six movies are canon? That was Abram's thing wasn't it?

So, no, I don't think gravity wells would be a canon issue, since there was nothing about hyperspace being affected by gravity in the earlier movies. At least I don't remember anything.

Not about gravity wells, no (other than the Rebels thing). Pretty much the only thing episodes 1 through 6 say about hyperspace navigation is "Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Didn't they say that only the six movies are canon? That was Abram's thing wasn't it?

So, no, I don't think gravity wells would be a canon issue, since there was nothing about hyperspace being affected by gravity in the earlier movies. At least I don't remember anything. And, we do see the ships jumping pretty much into orbit around planets. And it's possible to come out of orbit pretty close (for a give value of pretty close) when Vader criticises the commander for bringing the ships out of hyperspace too far from the planet in Empire Strikes Back.

The movies, clone wars and rebels, and any book published after the announcement, more or less. And like, new video games will be/are, but not all of them? Anyway, gravity well weapon things are canon now, but not the idea that flyin close to any gravity well pulls you out of hyperspace, I guess.

Looks like Maul is going to have a reunion with Obi . This potential meeting bothers me (not sure why). Thought for sure he would have had his storyline wrapped up and would rather have a new villain introduced (When grievous was first introduced he was great until they made him cough)

Makes me wonder why they never brought back Windu (he would have been much more interesting). I would have rather had a 1 shot where vader tracked him down as he somehow survived the fall (minus 1 arm) instead of maul who got cut in 1/2 and also fell

Mallus

Legend
Even Space Opera can go too far.
Are you familiar with E. E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series? Entire planets made of antimatter turned into superluminal missiles, see TVTropes, "Lensman Arms Race".

The Lensman series was first published in 1950. Star Wars has a long way to go before they catch up to the superweapons used in a 60+ year-old space opera!

Looks like Maul is going to have a reunion with Obi . This potential meeting bothers me (not sure why). Thought for sure he would have had his storyline wrapped up and would rather have a new villain introduced (When grievous was first introduced he was great until they made him cough)

Makes me wonder why they never brought back Windu (he would have been much more interesting). I would have rather had a 1 shot where vader tracked him down as he somehow survived the fall (minus 1 arm) instead of maul who got cut in 1/2 and also fell

Maul returned later in the Clone Wars series - they're continuing that storyline into Rebels. It'd be interesting to see how this plays out, and whether or not Obi-wan interacts with any of Phoenix Squadron...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads