Star Wars Spoilers Thread [Spoilers]

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy.

It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good.

I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team.

Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their hand cut off?

Luke lives in Ireland, eh?

Question: WHY was there a map to Luke, and why was it split into two? I feel like I missed something. For that matter, why a map and not just some coordinates? Seems like a random puzzle set up for the sake of it.
ebdc7e9da0a98a020498d701b47512ef.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There are no spoilers in this first post, but there are many in the comments within. This thread is the Star Wars spoiler thread (we did this for the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies, too). If you've seen the movie and want to discuss it, here's the place. For the time being, this is the only place to put Star Wars spoilers on the site. No need for spoiler tags. They don't work on touchscreen devices anyway, making the the thread either entirely visible or completely inaccessible. So, if you're reading this and you haven't seen it yet, spoilers may exist from any post after this one. You should leave the thread and come back when you've seen it!

sw7.jpg

Attachments

• sw7.jpg
    sw7.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 7,727

delericho

Legend
Yep, I'd agree with pretty much all of that.

It definitely felt like "Star Wars Greatest Hits" at times - we have another droid with a message to be delivered, another planet-destroying superweapon, another trench, X-wings, TIE fighters, lightsabers...

But it was enjoyable and well done, and definitely served to set up VIII and IX.

I was a bit disappointed with Captain Phasma, though, who really didn't seem to do much. I guess she gets added to the list of characters who just don't live up to their hype (along with Boba Fett, Darth Maul, and Aurra Sing).

Oh yes, and I feel kinda sorry for Hayden Christensen - BB8 manages to evoke more emotional response in his first five minutes than he did in two whole films. :)

horacethegrey

First Post
Just watched it. Here be my thoughts.

Things I liked:

- Characters feel human. If there was one thing the Original Trilogy did right that the Prequels got spectacularly wrong, it was having a strong cast play off each other and make their roles feel alive. Rey, Finn, and even Kylo Ren all give spirited performances and even have real chemistry with some of the old cast. And speaking of the old cast..

- Damn. I have to give mad props to Harrison Ford. He probably gives his best performance here in years. He plays off well with the younger actors and really looks like he's into it. I suspect though that his performance was influenced by the fact that...

- Han bites it. Like HOLY S#!T! I didn't think Abrams would have the balls to kill off one of the main characters. I mean, I can't say I'm surprised since the movie was hinting at it halfway through. And I knew the moment the he faced off with Kylo Ren on the bridge that that would be his finale. But still, I held out hope that they'd spare Han, but all for naught. It doesn't surprise me though, as Lawrence Kasdan was one of the screenwriters, and he always wanted to kill one of the mains in the original trilogy but Lucas wouldn't allow it. Though I imagine the hardline Star Wars fanboys are screaming for Abrams and Kasdan's blood. Poor Chewie. :.-(

- Surprisingly, the character I thought was most intriguing was Kylo Ren. Aside from the fact we find out he's Han and Leia's kid Ben, we see from the movie that despite his power and training as a Sith Lord he harbors a deep set inferiority complex in being compared and living up to his grandfather (Vader). We can see it in his numerous temper tantrums when things don't go his way, which remind me more of a spoiled child acting out rather than a Sith Lord coldly dispensing with weaker subordinates (as Vader was wont to). And he's clearly struggling in committing himself to the Dark Side, as we see in one of his moments alone and the scene with Han at the bridge. Though with the morally reprehensible act of killing his father in cold blood, it's safe to say he's fully committed now and will be the big bad for the rest of the series.

- It doesn't look too fake. I think it's great that Abrams and company committed themselves to making the film look realistic by using practical effects in conjuction with CGI. I mean, you can tell which parts are clearly CGI, but at least it doesn't have the plastic looking visuals of the Prequels which were often distracting.

- Action was decently shot and paced. At least it didn't become a confusing mess like the action Abram's Star Trek films.

- Rey and Kylo Ren's duel. After the wuxia jedi fights in the Prequels, it was nice to see a lightsaber duel that echoed the original trilogy's weighted and desperate melees. Ren and Rey look they're heaving around weighted broadswords rather than elegant weapons from a more civilized age. And Rey's victory took me by surprise. Given that she has no training I thought the duel would end with Ren kicking her ass or perhaps a draw. But the fact that Rey was able to triumph is an indicator of how powerful she is. Who knows how strong she can become in future installments when Luke trains her. And speaking of Luke..

- Damn does Mark Hamill look impressive as an elderly Jedi Master. Farmboy no more, Luke looks like he's seen s#!t and become stronger and wiser for it.

Course the fact that he only appears at the end leads me to Stuff I Disliked:

- Luke's absence. I mean WTF? Why is the last remaining Jedi AWOL during the New Republic's darkest hour? I mean it's what sets off the plot of the film, but Luke is the last person you'd expect to leave his friends and family in dire straights and go hopping around the galaxy. There'd better be a good reason for why he's rarely been seen in upcoming sequels.

- A New Hope Redux. Stop me if you've heard this before, a scavenger on a desert planet finds a lost droid with vital information and escapes with a newfound friend on a piece of junk aided by a smuggler and his furry friend but are pursued by masked man in black who resides in a planet shaped weapon that can vaporize other planets but it all ends when ragtag group of rebels destroy the big weapon in a planet wide kaboom. I mean come on! Did they really need to rehash the first film's plot? I mean don't get me wrong it's been done well but could they have gone for a different way to tell the story? I agree with delericho's assertion, this felt like Star Wars Greatest Hits.

- Imperial Security Fail. Well, nice to know that the First Order is keeping the Imperial tradition of lax security measures alive and well. X-Wing squardron attacking base? No problem! Four Resistance fighters infiltrating said base? Well, now we have a problem. Not mentioning the fact that 40 years later we still haven't installed safety rails around the dangerously high areas, imperial bases seemed destined to be staffed by troopers who can't perform basic security and officers who will turn off your defense shields off when threatened. Speaking of which.

- Gwendoline Christie as Captain Phasma. They got Brienne of F$#%ing Tarth to play a badass Imperial officer, and despite her initial intimidating presence in the film's beginning, she get's relegated to being held hostage by Han and company and dumped in the garbage. What a waste of an actor. Well, not the first time it's happened in Star Wars, but still... ::mad:

So there be my assessment of the film. It's very good, despite some flaws. But it's Star Wars through and through and way better than any of the prequels. And that's good enough for me. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You can see the Marvel/Disney influences -- some of it was very Guardians of the Galaxy in terms of tone. Lots and lots and lots of quips. I expect each movie in the trilogy will have its own tone, since they'll have different writers and directors

Was it my imagination, or did all the stormtroopers in that rally do a Nazi salute? Obviously the analogy has always been there, but that must be the most blatantly explicit example.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Was it my imagination, or did all the stormtroopers in that rally do a Nazi salute? Obviously the analogy has always been there, but that must be the most blatantly explicit example.

Well, Captain Phasma was there. If any stormtroopers hadn't followed along, she might have sternly instructed them to report to her division.

-Hyp.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have a question about the scene on the bridge with Kylo Ren and han.

So, Kylo gives the little speech to Han about how he has all this pain inside him and will Han help him, and Han says "yes, anything".

So I was kinda with the scene up until that moment. Kylo seemed to be struggling with the dark/light side, Han was trying to appeal to his better instincts, all that stuff.

And then Han and Kylo hang on to Kylo's lightsaber and gaze into each others' eyes for a bit before the big event happens. I don't quite understand what happened in that scene. What was the subtext?

horacethegrey

First Post
I took it as Ren finally making his choice and literally cutting off all ties to his old life by killing Han. The long pause was probably him hesitating (this is his father after all) and finally giving in, and in that split second Han knew he'd failed and accepted his fate.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
- Action was decently shot and paced. At least it didn't become a confusing mess like the action Abram's Star Trek films.

- Damn does Mark Hamill look impressive as an elderly Jedi Master. Farmboy no more, Luke looks like he's seen s#!t and become stronger and wiser for it.
I'm still looking for the right combination of light to watch Star Trek 0.0 and figure out what is happening during the battles against that Romulan mining freighter. Watching in a dark theater was un-enlightening (pardon the pun) and watching it at home with the lights on just makes reflection spots on my TV screen.

I thought the idea might be that Luke needs to find some of Yoda's old stuff, now that a Sith Lord is rising. Unlike the old Jedi Council, he's not just going to sit around, meditate on the Force, and complain that his view is clouded ... but he needs to _prepare_ himself. (I hope he spends some time training Leia too. - Maybe in Movie VIII, TESB's Greatest Hits?)
Nasty thought: Luke is in fact creating a Sith trap: prove you are good enough, by tracking me down. He wasn't expecting to draw in his own nephew.
I predict that at the climax of Movie IX, Luke and Ren will be lightsaber-dueling; Ren will threaten to attack Leia, and Luke will go berserk. Because RotJ's Greatest Hits.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
New question! How does Starkiller Base work?

It's a planet. It drains it's sun (which would kill a star system in itself). It then fired the sun's energy at another star system, destroying all the planets in it.

So now it's floating in space without a sun itself. Is it able to move to another star system to drain a new sun? And if so, does it really need to shoot planets if it can drain stars?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases