Redemption, the Force, and Morality [No Ep 7 Spoilers]

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I have a hard time not reading Episode III as being about the redemption of Anakin and the filmmakers pretty much considering him redeemed. It is a film, it deals with morality fairly simply as a result and distills the redemptive journey into a very dramatic moment. For me that is enough. If it were real life though whether redemption is possible through a single act really depends on some fundamental assumptions. I suspect a lot of us disagree on those (i.e. who is judging the redeemed, toward what end, etc). Personally my bar for redemption would be higher than a single act in the final moments of your life. I think that choice is one that shouldn't be ignored, but I'd be reluctant to label the person redeemed if they had slaughtered children and helped an evil empire achieve control of the galaxy. But for a movie, in space, meant for children, I'd call him redeemed.

I am pretty sure that is why Vader ended up dead at the end. Redemption comes at a cost. Not only his power and status, but his life. With the prequels now in line, we can see better as to why the redeemed Skywalker doesn't get to walk away from this one. Perhaps, he doesn't want to either. Who knows how much of what he did could have been tormenting him all this time. Finally coming to terms with what you have done and truly regretting those actions is par for the course of redemption.

He didn't just become redeemed by helping to topple the Emperor and save his son, his redemption may have also been in part for letting go of what caused the fall in the first play and finally dying.

Remove ads