[Living Greyhawk] First time player - needs help

d12

First Post
I will be playing Living Greyhawk for the first time at a con (RocKon in Little Rock) very soon. I'm very familiar with D&D, having played and DMed for quite awhile now. I am also in the middle of reading the big living greyhawk player's guide online. My region is the Yeomanry.

Please offer any advice on character creation, class/race suggestions, and general tips on maximizing my fun (as opposed to min/maxing my character). I'm especially interested in advice on how to use time units, upkeep costs, item creation and all the stuff that's unique to Living Greyhawk. Thanks alot in advance!

Last edited:

heirodule

First Post
Be sure to look though some postings on the Living_Greyhawk yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Living_Greyhawk/

More important is your region discussion group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yeomanry/

Charcater Creation: Play what you want to play. You need to think about character power a little bit, so don't take 6 craft skills, but be sure to do something distinctive.

Use the 28 pt buy to make 1 stat 16 at least.

Somehow, clerics seem to be underrepresented among many LG playes, so tables are "short" a cleric. You could play a cleric and fit in well.

Item creation is a big TU sink in LG. you have 52 TUs, and this year there are supposed to be 20 core mods (2 each), and 8 regional modules, and youc an still play last years modules. If you play alot, the TUs burn up, and Item creation is a big sink.

You'll probably also want to join a "meta-campaign organization" which will give you access to Builder book items and feats, otherwise you'll be restricted to just what you can access though module play. But metaorg TU costs are steep now, and there have been delays in getting the metaorg guidelines set right. Check your regions website or discussion group.

I see the yeomanry is using trade and craft guilds to qulify for citizenship. That's probably important.

Upkeep is pretty simple. Its 12 gp per TU of a module for advnaturers standard which refreshes rations and spell components and arrows. Not much reason to go rich or Luxury except for roleplay reasons, but it will end up

Seule

Explorer
My prime advice: Find out everything you can about your region (the Yeomanry for you). I come from Ket, and it's a pretty different region from most, so the actual race/class info I could give you would be all wrong. There is no doubt a yahoogroup for the Yeomanry, get on it and ask there. You should get lots of advice, as well as background material for making your character.
If you were making a Kettite character I could help you more, so get hold of the Yeomanry players out there, and ask them.
Also look at anything they have here: http://www.living-greyhawk.com/yeomanry/

--Seule

First, play a class that will be fun for you to play.

Now, the more boring advice.

Play a class that will be useful if you have to game with strangers. This means the first choice is a cleric. After that, maybe a fighter-type (Fighter, Barbarian). Rogues are often needed, but given a choice to fill just one spot, the cleric trumps the rogue almost every time. :)

Some classes are great once you get more power, but weak at first--Monk, Wizard, Sorcerer. Just be aware how easy it is to die at 1st level in these classes.

Nobody in LG wants a bard at the table. :D I have actually played with a bard, and in a module with lots of role play and less combat, bards are great. But when it comes to combat, they're often just not as effective as the other classes.

Don't make a character that runs away from combat. Yes, there are people who play LG that do this--they soon get a bad rep and no one wants to play with them. It doesn't matter how good your backstory and character motivation are--cowards are not popular.

If you're thinking of multi-classing, you might pick a class for 1st level that gets some benefit at first level you can't get at a higher level. For example, a Barbarian's 12 hp (plus Con bonus), or a Rogue's 8 (plus Int bonus) x4 Skill points.

Think about the deity your character worships. I just picked Obad Hai (the true god of nature), not really thinking through the ramifications of living in the region ruled by the Skank of the Woods (Ehlonna, the false god of nature). This has actually been a lot of fun (both for me and for judges, I think), as it gives a little conflict to certain scenes.

Be a team player. This is especially important in LG, where HQ assumes that a module will always have 6 balanced party members present--but you may be playing at a table of four, with one member far below your APL (average party level), making the combat encounters much tougher. Teamwork is key. Help the rogue flank, protect the mage, etc.

Make one thing about your character very unusual--just to give yourself a role playing hook. My first LG character is a beardless dwarf, which some judges have a lot of fun with (when he has to interact with "normal" dwarves).

Be sure to check out your regional variations. Some places "outlaw" certain classes, or make them very unwelcome, so it's easy to lose time units by breaking some law and ending up in jail. For example, I think in Theocracy of the Pale, you have to be a cleric of the state church--or you're a "heretic" and subject to imprisonment if someone important finds. Not sure, exactly, but as you can see, the regional flavor can really impact your character (which can be a lot of fun).

Each region has "meta-orgs" you can join. These might be racial groups (elven clan, for instance) or class groups (church, bardic college, etc.) or some other group (city watch). Meta-orgs cost TU (time units) to join, and sometimes you advanced levels are only accessible after a certain time and spending even more TU. You might check out the meta-orgs for you region and plan to join a particular one. That may influence which class you start out as.

You can also start/join Adventuring Companies, which is nice if you adventure with the same people frequently.

Sometimes in a mod, you have a choice to spend extra TU to perform some task. These are often interesting and give a little "side trek" for your character. I never hesitate to spend the extra TU--if it's appropriate for the character. Sometimes you even get a neat reward for a side trek.

Some modules suck. Some judges suck. Deal with it. There are a lot of fun people in LG, but there are also those that you will seek to avoid (for whatever reason--hygiene, play style, personality conflict, etc.) Don't let the bad apples spoil LG for you. I have had some great judges in RPGA events. Eventually, you'll remember the good ones, with most of the bad ones fading from memory. At the worst, it's usually only a four-hour mod. Then you never have to see those people again. :)

Oh, and if you get a few levels under your belt, be sure and play the mega-module Isles of Woe. It's a lot of fun (if a little dungeon-crawly), and it's long--it's a 12-16 hour module for LG.

TalonComics

First Post
I'm playing a Dwarven Cleric devoted to the one and only Dwarven god. Clerics are a big welcome! Of course we live in the Bandit Kingdoms where 5 followers of Iuz walking into a bar isn't just an intro to a bad joke. ;)

I originally played a Druid but really felt out of place tromping around the City of Greyhawk so much. I love Druids but it didn't work very well for me. :(

~D

Seule

Explorer
The regional is, in my opinion, the best reason to play the game. For example, the region I am in, Ket, is loosely based on ancient Persia. You find a lot of Humans and Dwarves and a few Halflings, and nobody but the Dwarves wears heavy armour. Clerics tend to be of Al'Akbar, and the culture reveres Honour, Piety, Generosity and Family as the core values. In contrast, someone from the Theocracy of the Pale (opressive monotheism), the Bandit Kingdoms (almost-anarchic rogue states under Iuz) or Veluna (closer to traditional chivalric fantasy) will all have very different environments to make characters in. Racial and class mixes will be different, primary gods, character archetypes, and all kinds of stuff will all vary widely by region.
There are two basic philosophies to making a LG character: playing to type, and playing against type. There are players in Ket who play lightly armoured mounted warriors with scimitars (typical Kettites), and others who play Elves working to reform the system (almost unheard of in the setting). I'm firmly on the side of playing to type, it helps establish the identity of the region, and really helps if you get to travel outside your home region, you can take the flavour of it with you.

--Seule

d12

First Post
Well, the Yeomanry seems to be a human dominated area but with a nice mix of elves. Since I've decided to play a cleric-archer, I'm going to go with a cleric of Solonor Thelandira. This puts my PC a little outside the "mainstream" but it its not like playing a cleric of Wastri or anything that drastic. I'll post the PC when I finish him.

d12

First Post
Ok - here he is. Let me know what you think and thanks for the advice.

Tycho
Male High Elf Cleric 1 (Solonor Thelandira)
S12
D16
C12
I 10
W 15
Ch 10

Hp 9
AC 17 (Chain Shirt +Dex)

Weapons
Longsword +1 (1d8+1)
Longbow +4 (1d8)

Domains: War, Plant

Feats: Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus: Longbow (domain power)
Skills: Concentration +5, Heal +3, Knowledge (nature): +1, Listen +4, Search +2, Spot +5

Gear: Backpack, Waterskin, 2 days trail rations, traveler's outfit, 5 gp, 20 arrows

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases