"The Shannara Chronicles" and "Colony"

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have to admit that for Shanara, I thought, "A fantasy series... on MTV? Do I care?"

Mallus

Legend
The trailer that emphasized how Shannara is set in post-apocalyptic Earth made it look lovely. I'm in for a few episodes!

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I'm looking forward to seeing how both turn out. Honestly, I'm of a mind that the more fantasy and sci-fi (and superhero stuff) that gets produced, the better. The good ones will stick around and the bad ones will be replaced by newer efforts. The days of a bad show making those genres toxic to other attempts seem to be behind us. Between Netflix, Amazon, cable, and network (and whatever else) we're getting tons of new shows and plenty of money behind them. "Huzzah!" I say.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
On reading the description of "Colony", the depiction seems to be very close to life in a concentration camp. Interesting, but I wonder if I'm willing to accept it as entertainment.

Thx!

TomB

Sacrosanct

Legend
Really looking forward to the Shannara Chronicles. The reviews I've seen already have all been universally impressed, comparing it to a series that would air on HBO or Showtime, with the production quality.

Ryujin

Legend
I can't put my finger on it, but something about "Colony" leaves me cold. I didn't find the characters engaging, but that's hardly unusual for a new series. I could say the same about ST:TNG, Babylon 5, or in fact may other series I ultimately grew to enjoy. Maybe it's the "unseen aliens with an evil purpose" trope that did it? I'll have to give it a several episodes before I can come to a conclusion.

The idea of "The Shannara Chronicles" is interesting and MTV hasn't really been a music channel for going on 20 years, so this might have something to it. While I've never read the novels it seems like all of my friends have, and they've universally liked them. We'll see.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Don't get me wrong. I am in no small way excited about anything with the Shannara world. I genuinely hope that it does well, if for no other reason to maybe cause more media for that series to blossom.

I want to see some Rimmer Dal and Shadowen pretty bad.

I guess there is the Wishsong so... Music TV achieved?

Remove ads