What book/book series would you like to see made into a TV show?

I hadn't heard of those before.

Read it. READ IT NOW. Take a sabbatical if you have to.

It's huge (10 main books, 900 pages each on average). It's an incredible literary work. Erikson can write. The characters are alive. The dialogues are sublime. I've choked up on several occasions reading the book (even when re-reading it). I've laughed out loud numerous times. It's complex, going through time, space and planes of existence. It's men and gods and immortals that have been fighting for millenia. I fail miserably at trying to put into words how good I believe it is.

I've read a lot, fiction and non fiction, french classics and classic fantasy series, and that series ranks in my top 3 litterary experiences, if it's not #1.

If I was immensely wealthy, I'd certainly finance an animated series that would match the pace of the books and cover everything. There'd probably be enough material for hundreds of episodes.

Other series I've enjoyed that could make good shows (if they have money to do the special effects correctly):
- Echoes of Empire series by Mark T. Barnes
- Aspect-Emperor series by R. Scott Bakker
- Bauchelin & Korbal Broach novellas by Erikson as well

AR

Jhaelen

First Post
I'd very much like to see an adaptation of Peter F. Hamilton's The Night's Dawn Trilogy.

A while ago, I would have said Dan Simmon's Hyperion... but that's already in the works! (although by SyFy channel...)

delericho

Legend
Funnily enough, both of my big two have been done by the BBC recently: I was hoping for another take on "The Three Musketeers" and also Bernard Cornwell's "Alfred" series.

Equally amusing, in both cases I didn't like the resulting TV series. :)

(In the case of the "Alfred" series, much of the fun of the novels is the lead character's internal monologue of him constantly raging against Alfred, the church, and the nobles. The problem being that the internal monologue is translated in the show to the lead actor standing around scowling. In the case of "The Musketeers" the problem is that the show is rubbish.)

Ryujin

Legend
Funnily enough, both of my big two have been done by the BBC recently: I was hoping for another take on "The Three Musketeers" and also Bernard Cornwell's "Alfred" series.

Equally amusing, in both cases I didn't like the resulting TV series. :)

(In the case of the "Alfred" series, much of the fun of the novels is the lead character's internal monologue of him constantly raging against Alfred, the church, and the nobles. The problem being that the internal monologue is translated in the show to the lead actor standing around scowling. In the case of "The Musketeers" the problem is that the show is rubbish.)

I don't mind "The Musketeers" so much. My biggest complaints about it, as with many period pieces, is the wardrobe. What's with making them all look like they ride Harley Davidson motorcycles and hang around at Starbucks?

I want to agree with the Malazan Book of the Fallen series very much. The scope and spectacle might make it hard to pull off, budget-wise. The T'lann Imass, the dragons, Toblokai, and the magic by themselves would be fine, but all together? Doing it as an animated series would be a way around that.

Thieves World would be awesome to see. It might be tough to craft a narrative from the many short stories, but I could see something emerging with Prince Kadakithus, Shadowspawn, Tempus, and Lythande as mains. Heck, cast Tilda Swinton as Lythande and I’d be sold.

I’d also love to see Max Gladstone’s Craft Sequence as a TV series.

Mallus

Legend
A while ago, I would have said Dan Simmon's Hyperion... but that's already in the works! (although by SyFy channel...)
SyFy's doing a great job so far with The Expanse (ie, Leviathan Wakes). So I'll hold out hope for Hyperion.

Since it's no longer completely ridiculous/out of the question, I'd love a prestige cable version of "The Book of the New Sun". Or a flashy & bloody Starz version of Elric.

Remove ads