What do you put on a hot-dog?

A most crucial discussion is what should we put or avoid from putting on a hot-dog. Yogurt seems an impopular choice, for example, but I could be wrong. I mean, once I was offered juice made from clams and apple, so anything could happen.

What do you usually put on them?

For me, as a proper Chilean, it was to be with mashed avocado, chopped tomatoes, generous -perhaps even insultingly so- amounts of mayonnaise, and sauerkraut.

I'm also a fan of the caramelized onion, shoe-string potato, fried-egg, and alioli sauce version, though that's a bit heavier.

How about you?

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Chili. Not that nasty stuff you find in a can, or in most snack-vendors. But a good, strong, homemade chili.

Ketchup, mustard, pickle relish (each alone, or in any combination)

Sauerkraut & Mustard.

Hot dog onions (hard to find if you aren't in NYC - caramelized onions in a spiced ketchupy sauce)

There was until recently a place near me ("Spike's Junkyard Dogs") that had a bazillion variations of toppings on dogs.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just ketchup and mustard. But the only time I have hot dogs is when the German market comes to town. I love a good spicy red bratwurst.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I am kind of a fan of the Chicago Dog.
So.. it varies, but a whole varsity of additions. So much so that it is hard to hold that puppy in one hand.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
The tears of enemies.

And mustard and relish. In burgers and hot dogs those are the condiments that get my pass. Plus those unnatural orange cheese slices. Sure, I can eat anything, but anything else like ketchup seems unholy.

I must say I've never tried a "michigan hot dog". They are popular in Québec for no obvious reason. Those are hot dogs served with spaghetti sauce on them. WTF?

Ryujin

Legend
Just ketchup and mustard. Occasionally cheese. Italian or Polish sausage on a bun is different; sauerkraut, honey mustard, ketchup, and olives (preferably black olives).

Remove ads