What do you put on a hot-dog?

Mustard and ketchup, definitely. But kimchi or sauerkraut is tasty, too. I recently had a hot dog with cranberry sauce and Brussels sprouts and it was surprisingly awesome.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'll ask a tangential question: how many of you use your hotdog "recipes" on other sausages?

I have- Brats obviously, and German rotwurst. They usually get simple treatments of mustard or mustard & katsup...possibly with onions.

But I've also tried things like Earl Campbell Hot Links, as above, but also with BBQ, garlic spread, or a mix of both. Teh yumz!

Mustard, no ketchup. To me that is a basic, no BS hotdog that has good flavor. If I want something a little different, I might put some grated cheese on it. We have a bunch of hotdog places around here with crazy toppings as well. At those places I tend to try something different each time. But at home: mustard, for the most part. Just mustard.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I've always been a fan of hot dogs, eggs and potatoes - boil the dogs, slice them up, brown them with the taters and some chopped onion, and then crack two eggs over it and scramble them...

Why boil the dogs first? It would seem to be a needless step.

I'll ask a tangential question: how many of you use your hotdog "recipes" on other sausages?

Knockwurst (poached in beer, if possible), mustard, and kraut for the win! Virtually any form of keilbasa or polish sausage like thing can get similar treatment. I'd probably not put kraut on a "hot" sausage, just by my personal preference.

I'm originally from New York - so Italian sausage with sauteed onions and peppers is a still-favorite-food from my childhood.

I have- Brats obviously, and German rotwurst.

Rotwust (aka "blutwurst", a blood sausage, for the uninitiated) is one of those things I classify as a food that's understandable for humans to eat in a culture of scarcity. If you don't always know where your next meal is coming from, yes, then make and eat rotwurst, as it is a way to get every last bit of nutrition out of the beast. Otherwise... don't. Just don't. That stuff is *nasty*.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm...rotwurst and blutwurst were 2 different things in Germany- at least where I lived. There, the rotwurst had a more traditional sausagy texture, while blutwurst tended towards the mushy.

Both tasty, IMHO, but I wouldn't- well...couldn't- eat a blutwurst like I would a hotdog or rotwurst like we used to get at the Stuttgart cristkindlmarkt- hot off the grill, wrapped in parchment, and topped with mustard.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ice, but they cool off faster if you put it on their bellies.

And you people are just sick, sick, sick.

you should try my Tacos

1ef91d71be4a32410a236d83153688f6.jpg

Remove ads