RIP David Bowie

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
To my shame I have to admit that I don't really associate anything with him. But now reading a bit about him, it seems I missed something. Which is not that surprising - I was never a strong follower of music. There are certain "islands" I got interested in (say, Queen or Bear McCreary), but never really was a music collector.

David Bowie was largely his own genre, he became a cultural phenomenon in his own right and is notable for innovation and constant reinvention which is why he's remained popular for fifty years. Bowie himself described his post Ziggy Stardust style as Plastic Soul before bringing in New Wave, electronica, industrial pop and then back to rock.

Hes also a good actor (and apparently a trained Mime), not just Labyrinth, he was also notable for his performance in Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence and portrayal of Andy Warhol in Basquiat. He has a cameo in Yellowbeard, did a vampire movie in The Hunger, an alien in The Man Who Fell to Earth and weird science Nikola Tesla in the Prestige, theres also a western and a gangster movie as well as a few others

I think I'll do a movie marathon this weekend

Up in heaven, any angel
Writes a special game to play
Oh oh, could we, could we
Make a star to snatch their angels, boy?
Played your role for every day

Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
As much as we loved him over here, I cannot even imagine how much he is being missed right now in Britain. Condolences.

Jhaelen

First Post
I'm mostly a fan of his early works, e.g. 'Space Oddity'. But even though I didn't like many of his later songs, I must commend him on his unique vision; he would always experiment and was impossible to put into any particular kind of musical genre.

I was definitely shocked when I heard the news about his death. He was much more than just a musician, he was an icon and will be sorely missed.

Mallus

Legend
Strung out in Heaven's high/Hitting an all-time low...

(it might be time to subject my office mates to a *lot* of David Bowie, starting with all of "Hunky Dory")

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases