why no Warforged

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My experience with Warforged in LFR predisposes me to snicker at them:

The point of the encounter was to stop an Enchantress from performing a magical ritual. Our Barbarian* raged and charged her; with help from our Warlord, he crossed the map in one round. On his next turn he bear-hugged her and picked her up. Then her Warforged bodyguard came out from behind a hedge, in melee range. As a reaction, the barbarian attacked the warforged.
DM: What weapon are you wielding?
Barbarian: Umm, I'm holding the Enchantress. With both hands and arms.
Me: He can body-slam her into the bodyguard, I suppose. It could count as an improvised weapon...
DM: OK. Roll to-hit.
The Warforged bodyguard was a minion. The barbarian KILLED the warforged while wielding an Enchantress. (He also broke her arm - which ended the ritual !)

* Barbarian played by 12-year old.

kalani

First Post
I would have ruled that differently. I would have allowed it to count as a Shove action (i believe they were in 4E) with a bonus to hit (say +4). If successful, the warforged would be knocked prone/pushed 5 feet. It would also cause bruising and a few bumps and scratches to both parties, but no actual damage.... Using the enchantress as a weapon would require a character who could wield large weapons. As such, there was no way to "wield" her as a weapon. Not only that, but she is not weapon shaped (so there would be penalties there), but worse yet - she would resist the attempt.

You couldn't just pick her up as if she was made of wood and swing her. She would flail her arms/legs, kick/punch/twist her body etc... All in all, makes for a very inefficient weapon. You could however basically throw her at someone else (or swing her into someone else) and knock them both in a heap on the floor.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Yah, our DM - Battle Interactive at convention, btw - was giving the youth in our group (both of them) plenty of slack to Be Awesome. Whoever made the bodyguards minions (1 HP) did the players a VERY BIG favor. We adults weren't going to complain, because the kids kept us on-target to our mission when we started to get distracted with the tactical situation.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Ive no problem at all with Warforged in an rpg I should clarify. Just that rpg has to be in an Eberron or Planescape game. Not in FR and thus not AL.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Which is why I despise what LFR did to the realms in its pursuit of expanding player numbers. Growth for Growths sake should be confined to Cancerous Tumors.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Imho, each of the major worlds of D&D ought to have their own exclusive atmosphere-defining classes / races / cultures / &c.

Agreed. I'd much rather see effort spent bringing more Realms-specific races and sub-races, like the urdunnir dwarves, star elves, or even kir-lanans (though that last would create some issues in Organized Play) rather than trying to graft other settings' defining races into the OP campaign.

--
Pauper

With S4 bringing an intersection of Ravenloft and Faerun, I could see Warforged coming in during a similar intersecting planes season. BBEG could have created a portal device that harnesses the power of an ancient elemental of the Astral Plane. Machine goes haywire and brings parts of Eberron into Faerun, preferably as islands that appear off the Sword Coast/Moonsea instead of land-swapping that occured during the Spellplague.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
No thanks. FR has had enough land swaps, civilisations coming back and other strange oddities to last multiple campaign settings. There is no reason at all to bring Warforged into the campaign bar appeasing the Eberron devotees and the LFR 4e crowd who honestly never should of been given Warforged to begin with.

Let the Eberron specific races stay in ... Eberron. If AL never does Eberron then so be it. If someone else does a Living game set in Eberron, then Warforge away

Remove ads