DMs Guild DMs Guild Reviews, Recommendations

zoroaster100

First Post
I took my first look at the Dungeon Master Guild's available products and was shocked to see the extent of material already available in just a few days since it opened. I haven't bought anything yet, but am considering starting with a few of the least expensive things out there like the various Denizens pdfs which have a handful of drow/driders, or elves, NPCs, dwarves, etc. and then maybe try buying an adventure or two to see what kind of quality is available from different authors. Does anyone have any recommendations for must-buy products or any favorable or unfavorable reviews for any of the products already available there?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If you decide you want to look at the Adventurers League modules... I think quite a number of them have been reviewed here on EN World, so you'd probably get a better feel for those than whatever reviews (if any) they've gotten posted on DMGU thus far.

Last edited:

Kite474

Explorer
For adventures I cant recommend anything, but if you haven't yet you should totally get The Gunslinger Subclass and The Blood Hunter class by Mathew Mercer. Really well balanced and really high quality work. Another good one to pick up would be Kobold Presses Savage Heroes because new races are always good, especially when they are 3 of the best!

zoroaster100

First Post
[MENTION=12749]MwaO[/MENTION]: Your concept for your product sounds good. One suggestion I have is to put the number of casters in the PDF listed in the description, maybe even a list of them, so the buyer knows how much content he or she is getting and can better gauge how much to pay for it.

MwaO

Adventurer
[MENTION=12749]MwaO[/MENTION]: Your concept for your product sounds good. One suggestion I have is to put the number of casters in the PDF listed in the description, maybe even a list of them, so the buyer knows how much content he or she is getting and can better gauge how much to pay for it.

Thanks. It is all the NPC casters in the Monster Manual - Acolyte, Fanatic Cultist, Druid, Priest, Mage, and Archmage. One page of 'here's how they work and why', 1 page for the Acolyte/Fanatic Cultist, each in their own column, 1 page for the Druid and Priest, again in their own columns and then 1 page for the Mage and 1 page for the Archmage.

It is unfortunately a little difficult to edit the description. Someone posted the review, said they liked it a lot, but wished Archmage didn't need the SRD/PHB to be run - I fixed it, but there isn't:
A way to contact the reviewer and let them know to update their pdf.
A way to change the title/cover page

Well, maybe there is, but it isn't obvious.

Allow me to pitch my own work here as well:

I wrote an adventure ("Tower by the Sea of Fallen Stars") which takes place in a tower that is flooded over time, with more and more rooms turning into underwater parts. There is a side-view map that many of the DM's playing so far have praised.

I would post a link here if I were allowed to do so. ;-)

Giant2005

First Post
if you haven't yet you should totally get The Gunslinger Subclass and The Blood Hunter class by Mathew Mercer. Really well balanced and really high quality work.

Why do people say that? The Gunslinger is great, but the Blood Hunter is quite literally the least balanced homebrew that I have ever seen (actually it is the third least balanced, but the other two weren't submitted for anything other than personal use by the boldest munchkin I have ever seen).
The Order of the Mutant subclass pulls off over double the DPR of a Raging, Reckless Attacking, Frenzying Barbarian. That isn't okay.

Why do people say that? The Gunslinger is great, but the Blood Hunter is quite literally the least balanced homebrew that I have ever seen (actually it is the third least balanced, but the other two weren't submitted for anything other than personal use by the boldest munchkin I have ever seen).
The Order of the Mutant subclass pulls off over double the DPR of a Raging, Reckless Attacking, Frenzying Barbarian. That isn't okay.

Was that before or after any revisions? It's been updated a good half-dozen times IIRC.

Giant2005

First Post
Was that before or after any revisions? It's been updated a good half-dozen times IIRC.

Both.
It has been updated multiple times but those damage-increasing abilities weren't.
It is just the result of putting multiple level 11 damage increasing abilities within a single class (The Fighter's 3rd attack and the Paladin's Improved Divine Smite). WotC were careful to prevent the stacking of those damage increasing abilities whereas the author of that homebrew wasn't. It has the best bits of both the Paladin and Fighter when it comes to sustainable DPR, as well as adding extra bits of its own.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases