Do You Know Your Glaive-Guisarme From Your Bohemian Earspoon?

Weapons are a large part of any fantasy game. Sometimes they are detailed individually, with crunchy statistics; sometimes they are merely left as flavour. However, it can be fun to imagine the weapons your character is wielding. Halberds, maces, rapiers, guisarmes, glaives, arquebuses, firelances, crossbows, and more make up the armories of any fantasy realms. Straight from the pages of [WOIN] Archaic Equipment, the upcoming sourcebook for the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system come these illustrations of a wide range of weapons from artist Egil Thompson.

Weapons are a large part of any fantasy game. Sometimes they are detailed individually, with crunchy statistics; sometimes they are merely left as flavour. However, it can be fun to imagine the weapons your character is wielding. Halberds, maces, rapiers, guisarmes, glaives, arquebuses, firelances, crossbows, and more make up the armories of any fantasy realms. Straight from the pages of [WOIN] Archaic Equipment, the upcoming sourcebook for the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system come these illustrations of a wide range of weapons from artist Egil Thompson.

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

w5.jpg

w6.jpg

w7.jpg

SaveSave

Al2O3

Explorer
It looks weird to me to call the swordstaff a svärdstav in English. Either use a fully scandinavian spelling or do the translation into English. Probably do the translation.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It looks weird to me to call the swordstaff a svärdstav in English. Either use a fully scandinavian spelling or do the translation into English. Probably do the translation.

I personally prefer the flavour from words like svärdstav, claymore, katana, zweihander, etc. I get that not everybody feels the same way, but that's my own preference.

Al2O3

Explorer
I guess it is a result of Swedish being my native tongue, so it is less flavour to me than a lack of easy translation. I do admit that reading or hearing "ombudsman" or "smorgosbord" in English is about as weird to me. However, the latter two do not have as obvious other direct translations into English and are more commonly used. Therefore they are a bit less strange to see in English.

Furthermore, doing the other way and including English words in Swedish is so common that it is expected. I guess there is nothing wrong in using Swedish words in English the same way. Still looks weird.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I guess it is a result of Swedish being my native tongue, so it is less flavour to me than a lack of easy translation. I do admit that reading or hearing "ombudsman" or "smorgosbord" in English is about as weird to me. However, the latter two do not have as obvious other direct translations into English and are more commonly used. Therefore they are a bit less strange to see in English.

Furthermore, doing the other way and including English words in Swedish is so common that it is expected. I guess there is nothing wrong in using Swedish words in English the same way. Still looks weird.

I wonder if it's the same for, say, Japanese folks seeing items named in their language? I'm the first to admit, speaking only English, I have no perspective on this.

Jenks3

First Post
I have a question, is the "spear" on the last pic supposed to be a Javelin?

Else, where is the javelin? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ErikJohwon

First Post
I've never seen a guisarme that looks like that before, looks more like a peasants billhook. And the billhook looks like a fancy guisarme.

Derren

Hero
I don't think a bayonet is appropriate for a rifle. It should be on the musket instead.

Also I do not see why the unmodified scythe should be shown here. No one used the scythe without modifications in combat. For that they had the war scythe.

Remove ads

Remove ads