D&D 5E Dungeon Master's Guild: The Long Term

Giant2005

First Post
Huh. My experiences working with the folks at OneBookShelf has always been very good. They've always been prompt and cordial to any concerns or questions I had.

My experiences were actually pretty similar until they removed one of my books.

I used their support features probably a lot more often than my fair share but they always gave me the time of day and I gave them glowing reviews when they asked for feedback. All except for one strange occasion where they decided to request their feedback before they actually bothered answering my support ticket. I couldn't exactly give them a glowing review for support they hadn't actually offered yet.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not sure my being impressed is a result of optimism - I actually think it is the result of extreme pessimism. When I uploaded it I expected 0 people to donate money. Not just some really low percentage that rounds down to 0, I mean a literal 0 people.
I was amazed that anyone was willing to donate money for something that I was willing to give for free and obviously 20% of all people being willing to donate is a figure that was much higher than my expectations.

That's very impressive. My experience with PWYW products on DTRPG and the like has been nearer 3-4%.

Remathilis

Legend
It turns out that was a fairly solid point. My memory seems to have tainted the event and it may not have been someone reporting the work as their own. This is what they said:

"We have deactivated this title in regards to the continued issue of
who created the content. We will not be reactivating it in its current
format."
Could it be that the title hewed too close to the official WotC book and they wanted to keep control of the name?

Perhaps renaming it could solve it?

Hi, just rejoined the forums for the first time in a long time and I read your posts just now.

YouTube has had a history where video game companies got videos taken down with frivolous complaints but then the videos were reinstated after review and the creators contacting support - I believe this might be a similar case. It's possible that they'll either put it back up or won't stop you from re-posting after a while. I'm not an expert on their review process though, so that's just a possibility being speculated.

There's also the possibility that this was part of a corporate policy to take down user-submitted products with titles that conflict not on content but product recognition, in this case the actual title itself - "Epic Level Handbook". WotC may be planning to come out with a new "Epic Level Handbook" themselves and they might not want a user-submitted title to be confused with their own in any way. That's a wild toss in the dark though.

Giant2005

First Post
Could it be that the title hewed too close to the official WotC book and they wanted to keep control of the name?

Perhaps renaming it could solve it?

Yeah I never really considered that. I may have read more into this whole situation than I should have.
I am sending them another E-mail asking if the name is the issue. If that is all it is then I really don't have any issues with how they handle things at all.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
There's also the possibility that this was part of a corporate policy to take down user-submitted products with titles that conflict not on content but product recognition, in this case the actual title itself - "Epic Level Handbook". WotC may be planning to come out with a new "Epic Level Handbook" themselves and they might not want a user-submitted title to be confused with their own in any way. That's a wild toss in the dark though.

WotC could just make that clearer and say it outright.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
Not to pick on you personally because I've seen a lot of doom and gloom predictions from more than just you. People need to understand that this model has already been out there for more than a decade. Ran by the same company in fact. I think we have a pretty good idea as what to expect about how the model will work already. I am not worried about many of these doom and gloom predictions because all the years of evidence points to there not being these predicted issues.

No worries, Sacrosanct. I was more being practical over doom and gloom. From a business perspective and being self-employed, slipping in ads and permissions can generate additional revenue.
But I hope I don't see it happen.

dave2008

Legend
Epic Level Handbook.

That's too bad. I purchased and was looking for to an update and more from you. That product (and its popularity) gave me the urge to put my "epic" options up in the Guild. That being said, I think in the long run the system will improve rather than collapse. It is only 2 weeks old, they are still getting a grasp of the monster they created.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases