Moffat stepping down; no Who in 2016

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A bit disappointed we have to wait a year. Also a little puzzled by their choice for new show runner. I have heard great things about Broadchurch, and I liked Torchwood well enough, but when I checked out the list of Doctor Who episodes he wrote, there really weren't any that stood out as incredible to (though maybe they were going with his overall diversity in tone or something). But maybe his experience with Broadchurch and Torchwood is what made him a good choice.

Well, as we've seen, being a good showrunner is only partially tied to how good your individual episodes turned out to be.

"Showrunner" is basically work as a producer, not as a writer. So, overall vision is important, but detailed writing as applied to the series less so.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
He's said in interviews that the American term "showrunner" really doesn't work in this job. I don't know why, but he says "head writer" is a more appropriate title. It overlaps with the role in American TV, but it's not the same. The BBC doesn't have an equivalent of showrunner.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
He's said in interviews that the American term "showrunner" really doesn't work in this job. I don't know why, but he says "head writer" is a more appropriate title. It overlaps with the role in American TV, but it's not the same. The BBC doesn't have an equivalent of showrunner.

Historically, the term "showrunner" was developed as the terms "producer" and "executive producer" got co-opted for a breadth of things in American TV.

My understanding of "showrunner" is a conglomeration of typical producer, script editor, and head writer roles. But, again as I understand it, none of those are so strictly tied to being able to write a good script on your own, but more your ability to herd cats into writing good scripts. Thus, a good writer doesn't necessarily make the best showrunner (or even head writer), and a good runner isn't necessarily the best writer.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Historically, the term "showrunner" was developed as the terms "producer" and "executive producer" got co-opted for a breadth of things in American TV.

My understanding of "showrunner" is a conglomeration of typical producer, script editor, and head writer roles. But, again as I understand it, none of those are so strictly tied to being able to write a good script on your own, but more your ability to herd cats into writing good scripts. Thus, a good writer doesn't necessarily make the best showrunner (or even head writer), and a good runner isn't necessarily the best writer.

I dunno. But he says he's head writer, not showrunner, and I'm inclined to accept that at face value.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I dunno. But he says he's head writer, not showrunner, and I'm inclined to accept that at face value.

Not arguing with that.

I'm suggesting to those who look at his past episodes and say, "Well, I dunno," that being the head of a team is not the same as doing the writing yourself. That's the same whether he's a showrunner or head writer.

To quote wikipedia:

"The head writer conceives and outlines the long-term story of a scripted television or radio series.

In daytime television, the over-arcing story lines are broken out into daily episodes, which are then individually outlined by particular writers, and fleshed out with dialogue by others.

In prime time series, individual staff or freelance writers briefed with any long-term story lines generally pitch their episode ideas to the head writer/executive producer. The writer then develops their ideas into an outline and then a script, which is subsequently edited and revised by the series' entire writing team during the production process.

Sometimes head writers also hold the role of story editor, though other times the roles are separate."

So, as I said, overall vision and plan is important, but it isn't as much about individual implementation of scripts, as those tend to go to members of the writing team.

Ryujin

Legend

In North America the term "producer" tends to mean "guy who put up a lot of money." Even I could have a couple of producer credits on IMDB by now (nothing big).

Staffan

Legend
Maybe...hopefully...he'll have more time for Sherlock oh who am i kidding that wont be happening.

As I understand it, the main thing keeping more Sherlock from being made is that Cumberbatch and, to a lesser degree, Freeman are actors that are in great demand. That makes it hard to schedule filming with both of them.

Also, and this is just my opinion, I think the concept "modern-day Sherlock Holmes" is done a lot better in Elementary - but then again, I prefer the storytelling done in season-long story arcs as opposed to the more hurried movie format (and Sherlock are essentially movies made for TV and produced in batches of three).

As I understand it, the main thing keeping more Sherlock from being made is that Cumberbatch and, to a lesser degree, Freeman are actors that are in great demand. That makes it hard to schedule filming with both of them.).

I know that,but it's an old joke..like when the 100th anniversary of Doctor Who airs, there'll be a teaser for series 5 of Sherlock

Remove ads