D&D 5E New Players same level as Current Players?

WHat level should newbies start at?

• Same level as the current players, b/c that's fair!

Votes: 88 83.0%
  • Start'em at 1st, the current players had to start there!

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • Start them at first, but give them XP bonus to catch up!

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Poll closed .

geewaagh

Explorer
An existing game with four players almost to level 5. Going to add new players to the game. What level should they start at?

According to XP progression, it takes 6500 to reach 5th level and an additional 7500 to reach 6th. Thus means the newbies could reach 5th level before existing players reach 6th. At the higher levels, the current XP means even less. For example, there current XP of 4800XP is only 10% of the requirement to make it to 9th level, so newbies might not notice the XP delta for very long.

Since the newbies don't know the world, area, etc., could be interesting to have the current players a mentors. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Curmudjinn

Explorer
Many go with one level lower. Older edition campaigns tend to force PCs to enter at level 1, regardless of the party level. Very 'Gygaxian'.
I tend to bring them in at the same level as the party average, however some players can turn into whiners about then not earning it. Luckily, I don't tolerate those players in my games. It's a game, in the end, and it should be sufficiently fair for all involved.

Boneguard

First Post
In the 2 tabletops game I'm in (Granted it's 1st ed but it should not matter) we use a simple formula of "Party average -1 level"

So if the party average is 5, the new character startes at 4th. He's not as powerful as the rest of the party (the "penalty" for dying or joining late), but not completely powerless (as a 1st level PC would with a group of 5th level)

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Same level as existing players. It's a social game.

Starting at lower level isn't necessarily a penalty.

Personally I find starting at higher level to be a penalty. I want to play the character, and having fewer levels to progress through robs me of that.

If the party is almost level 5 I would start a new character at level 3. Levels 1 and 2 in 5e go by very fast (about 1 session each) and the characters are very vulnerable at that level.

I would stick to level 3 for new characters until the party approaches the next tier and then start them at level 5.

Level 5 is the highest I would start a new character, but then I don't have any interest in playing past level 15.

Shiroiken

Legend
I can't vote, because it depends on the campaign I'm running an who we're talking about.

Epic style campaign (similar to Adventure Paths): everyone is the same level, no matter what. The epic tale is more important than the particulars, and having people fall behind due to missing sessions is unacceptable.

Sandbox/Gygaxian campaign (similar to Adventurer's League): everyone starts at level 1 (or another set starting level), but has multiple characters. Each adventure the players decide which character to use, and player tend to spread their xp around to make sure they have characters for a variety of levels.

New Players (haven't played D&D, especially those new to RPGs): you start at level 1, with everyone playing new characters. This keeps the new player from feeling left out, and gives them a chance to actually grow (as a player) with their character. Generally speaking, I don't allow newbs into an Epic campaign once begun; I'll either restart a new game or run a mini-campaign until they get the hang of things (usually level 5 or so).

S

Sunseeker

Party level, typically. I don't use XP.

I should also add, this is for new characters, new players sometimes get started lower if I feel they are unfamiliar with the game, but I will catch them up.

Dausuul

Legend
Answer hazy, depends on players. See what the current players think, and see what the new folks think.

My default would be to start them at the same level or one lower. However, if the players are okay with the idea of starting from 1st, and it appeals to you, go for it.

n00b f00

First Post
I believe his point was more that it's best for them to be on the same level as it's a cooperative game social game. Rather than crpg video game where progression is a primary reason to continue investing time.

So the other players shouldn't feel like this new guy is unfairly riding their coat tails.

Personally I'd either start them off at the same level. Or if they're really new to system start them lower. And then accelerate them to the rest of the party pretty quick.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases