DM's Guild: One Week In - The Best & The Worst

The Dungeon Master's Guild has been around for about a week now, and in that time nearly 500 player-created products have been uploaded to the website. It can't be denied that the thing is spurring a blast of creativity. Anyhow, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the most popular items on offer, as well as the highest rated items, which include new archetypes, an Epic Level Handbook, some Forgotten Realms background material, and various monsters and feats.

The Dungeon Master's Guild has been around for about a week now, and in that time nearly 500 player-created products have been uploaded to the website. It can't be denied that the thing is spurring a blast of creativity. Anyhow, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the most popular items on offer, as well as the highest rated items, which include new archetypes, an Epic Level Handbook, some Forgotten Realms background material, and various monsters and feats.

UPDATE: Three of the items listed below have been removed from the store. I've noted them accordingly.

171443.jpg

[h=4]Most Popular Items[/h]
The ten most popular items are as follows. I've listed the price in the last column, and where an item is Pay What You Want (PWYW), I've noted the average contribution. I've no idea what the actual sales figures of these items are, but it's interesting that the first two by Matthew Mercer have 40+ ratings, while the third drops to 7 ratings. Of course, Mercer's work was on there from launch.

1Gunslinger Martial Archetype for FightersMatthew MercerPWYW ($1.64)
2Blood Hunter ClassMatthew MercerPWYW ($1.57)
3Extra Feats (5E)Igor PhoenixRion$1
4DnD 5e Epic Level Handbook [since removed]Gerard Shore, Mark AltfuldischPWYW ($1.63)
5Blood Magic (5E)Joshua RaynackPWYW ($1.25)
6New FeatsAndrew James Woodyard$1
7D&D Denizens: Drow & DridersScott Holden$0.99
8Swordmage ClassJuan Marcano$0.99
9D&D CitizensScott Holden$2.95
10D&D 5th Edition Spell Cards [since removed]Matthew PerkinsPWYW ($2.30)
[h=4]Highest Rated Items[/h]
For highest rated items, I have not included items with fewer than 5 ratings. Most items only have 1-2 ratings, so that took some pecking and hunting!

[h=4]Lowest Rated Items[/h]
It'd be a bit mean to highlight the less well thought of items on the site (so I guess I lied a bit in the article title), but talking in general terms there are 10 1-star items there, and 33 2-star items. That's not too bad out of a selection of nearly 500 products, and implies that the quality on DM's Guild is reasonable. I count 171 items with more than 3-stars, which - when you consider that a lot have not been rated at all - puts the average item above average in quality.

One of WotC's stated aims for DMsG was to spot upcoming new writers. From the above lists, James Introcaso has two items in the top-10 rated list. I'm already aware of him from the excellent Round Table podcast, as well as some of the 5E articles he's written for EN5ider. Scott Holden has two of the most popular items on DMsG, and so could be worth following.

Sacrosanct

Legend
And popularity doesn't necessarily mean quality. There are 3 in the top 10 that have less than 4 stars. 7 in the top 25, and the includes some that aren't even reviewed. To round out the rest of the top 25 as popularity:

Additional Archetypes
$1.00
Demonologist - Arcane Tradition (5e)
$0.99 $0.50
Tome of Templates
$0.99
D&D 5e Monster Expansion
Pay What You Want
D&D Denizens: Goblins
Pay What You Want
D&D Denizens: Orcs
Pay What You Want
15 New Backgrounds - World Builder Blog Presents
Pay What You Want
5 Minute Workday Presents: Feats
$0.50
D&D Denizens: Duergar
$2.95 $0.99
Monster Mausoleum
$2.95

Adventurers of Kara-Tur
$1.95
18+1 Feats by DiBastet
$1.00
D&D Citizens: Elves
Pay What You Want
Booklet of Infinite Horrors
Pay What You Want
Races Revived: Rare Elf Subraces
Pay What You Want
D&D Citizens: Dwarves
Pay What You Want

SunGold

First Post
Thank you for not singling out "the worst" items. I made a bit of a face when I saw the article title, so I was glad to see you didn't actually go there. That's the sort of thing that could crush new and inexperienced content creators who may have stumbled on their way out of the gate.

I'm grateful to everyone putting their content out there for the rest of us, and hope that those with low ratings can take it in stride and learn from their feedback.

Sunsword

Adventurer
As an author with 5 products launched and 3 with reviews, feedback is important. Its hard when you get a single, low review. But I've already revised one product and am having multiple people look at a second product based on feedback. A low review, while a stab in the heart, especially an honest review helps you learn and hopefully grow. Its been an interesting 2 weeks.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
As an author with 5 products launched and 3 with reviews, feedback is important. Its hard when you get a single, low review. But I've already revised one product and am having multiple people look at a second product based on feedback. A low review, while a stab in the heart, especially an honest review helps you learn and hopefully grow. Its been an interesting 2 weeks.

Yeah, exactly. I only have one product, but it has received only a single star-rating (2); and yet I have also seen some poorly executed products given a 5-star rating. And at least mine was proofread.

One of the things that is happening, and which I hope to remedy in part with this thread, is that only the (spasmodically) top-rated titles seem to get attention. If everyone does their part and downloads a few titles, at least looks at them, and then rates them, the community will have a much better idea of what is available and what is worth exploring.

I rate, uh, things as another job, and we use a 5-star system. My recommendation is that 3 = Average/Usable, 4 = Recommended/Very cool, and 5 = Superlative/Can't do without.

ASchmidt

Explorer
One thing I'd love to see coming out of this is how much content is worth... such as what does the community feel is an appropriate price point for a background? For an archetype? For a full base class with multiple archetypes? Because right now the pricing seems to be all over the map as people are trying to answer this question. I'm also hoping to find out just how often people are paying for content that is marked "pay what you want". Is that like homebrew+ in that people can download it for free but then give you money in support if they like your content? Or are people just putting a zero in the box and the author might as well be giving it away?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One thing I'd love to see coming out of this is how much content is worth... such as what does the community feel is an appropriate price point for a background? For an archetype? For a full base class with multiple archetypes? Because right now the pricing seems to be all over the map as people are trying to answer this question.

Phil Reed (now at SJG) pioneered the "massive number of bite-sized RPG PDFs" back in the year 2000 with his company, Ronin Arts. EN5ider does it now. It's not a new question, and it gets answered fairly regularly. It'll settle down quickly enough. :)

What's more interesting the widespread use of PWYW, which many of us small press publishers tried for a while on DTRPG and ... well, let's say we stopped trying it. Though we do it on EN5ider, there's no $0 option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
While we don't know what the sales figures of these things are, here's a point of data.

Item #66 is Teos Abadia's Admantine Chef. James Introcaso tweeted that it has 15 sales (at $4.99 each).

So we can extrapolate a little for those wondering how much they can make.

Item #66 has therefore made (revenue) $74.85. Half of that goes to the creator, so you'd make $37.43. That's at position #66 of roughly 500 products.

Random stupid projection stats which mean nothing, but are fun to play with. #66 puts it #434 from the bottom, or at 86% going up. Assuming #500 makes $0, we can extrapolate that the average product, being #250, makes its creator $20. At least thus far.

That's not too bad - average of $20 profit. Put enough out regularly, you can turn that into a decent sum each month.

While we don't know what the sales figures of these things are, here's a point of data.

Item #66 is Teos Abadia's Admantine Chef. James Introcaso tweeted that it has 15 sales (at $4.99 each).

So we can extrapolate a little for those wondering how much they can make.

Item #66 has therefore made (revenue) $74.85. Half of that goes to the creator, so you'd make $37.43. That's at position #66 of roughly 500 products.
There's also the metal sales charts, with each being proportionately harder to reach. Copper is somewhere around the 75-copy mark. Item #14 is a copper seller while item #15 isn't. The top 10 are all at least silver, with a coupe golds at the top and an electrum below that, demonstrating sales aren't high.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I just bought my first today. I've got a "DnD budget" that until today was only spent on Patreon, official gear and generic office supply stuff. I know I'm not going to leap into open source stuff from authors I don't know, yet. I expect there is some subset of users that are cautious. They want more stuff, but they want things that they know will be quality. I'm also not going to go PWYW or free. If something has value, it has value. By being free, or essentially free, my default assumption is that the creator feels it has no value.

Remove ads

Remove ads