DM's Guild: One Week In - The Best & The Worst

The Dungeon Master's Guild has been around for about a week now, and in that time nearly 500 player-created products have been uploaded to the website. It can't be denied that the thing is spurring a blast of creativity. Anyhow, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the most popular items on offer, as well as the highest rated items, which include new archetypes, an Epic Level Handbook, some Forgotten Realms background material, and various monsters and feats.

UPDATE: Three of the items listed below have been removed from the store. I've noted them accordingly.

171443.jpg

[h=4]Most Popular Items[/h]
The ten most popular items are as follows. I've listed the price in the last column, and where an item is Pay What You Want (PWYW), I've noted the average contribution. I've no idea what the actual sales figures of these items are, but it's interesting that the first two by Matthew Mercer have 40+ ratings, while the third drops to 7 ratings. Of course, Mercer's work was on there from launch.

1Gunslinger Martial Archetype for FightersMatthew MercerPWYW ($1.64)
2Blood Hunter ClassMatthew MercerPWYW ($1.57)
3Extra Feats (5E)Igor PhoenixRion$1
4DnD 5e Epic Level Handbook [since removed]Gerard Shore, Mark AltfuldischPWYW ($1.63)
5Blood Magic (5E)Joshua RaynackPWYW ($1.25)
6New FeatsAndrew James Woodyard$1
7D&D Denizens: Drow & DridersScott Holden$0.99
8Swordmage ClassJuan Marcano$0.99
9D&D CitizensScott Holden$2.95
10D&D 5th Edition Spell Cards [since removed]Matthew PerkinsPWYW ($2.30)
[h=4]Highest Rated Items[/h]
For highest rated items, I have not included items with fewer than 5 ratings. Most items only have 1-2 ratings, so that took some pecking and hunting!

[h=4]Lowest Rated Items[/h]
It'd be a bit mean to highlight the less well thought of items on the site (so I guess I lied a bit in the article title), but talking in general terms there are 10 1-star items there, and 33 2-star items. That's not too bad out of a selection of nearly 500 products, and implies that the quality on DM's Guild is reasonable. I count 171 items with more than 3-stars, which - when you consider that a lot have not been rated at all - puts the average item above average in quality.

One of WotC's stated aims for DMsG was to spot upcoming new writers. From the above lists, James Introcaso has two items in the top-10 rated list. I'm already aware of him from the excellent Round Table podcast, as well as some of the 5E articles he's written for EN5ider. Scott Holden has two of the most popular items on DMsG, and so could be worth following.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Yeah, exactly. I only have one product, but it has received only a single star-rating (2); and yet I have also seen some poorly executed products given a 5-star rating. And at least mine was proofread.

Much the same: I have one well-reviewed and one middle-of-the-road. That middle-of-the-road one, though, got several fantastic pieces of feedback, all of which I incorporated into the product and re-released it, along with a major face-lift. No new ratings have come in despite the changes and subsequent purchases, so it's a little frustrating as a creator to see some valid criticism, put the elbow grease in to address it, and...nothing.

But, keeping in mind this is only a few weeks old, that's really not a big deal. There's PLENTY of time for things to get spotted, purchased, and pick up some new ratings, so long as the product has the legs to stand on with regard to getting recommended for whatever role it is hoping to fill.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
I tried to follow the link for the #10 most popular item in the list (spell cards), and the site says it is unavailable. Any ideas on what happened? I wonder if they violated the terms.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Publisher
This post was generated by a news article which your device or browser is not displaying directly. You can view the article directly here.

I thought DM Guild was FR stuff only...? Having a quick skim, there's all manner of setting neutral material on there. Eg: revised ranger, epic level handbook, etc?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I thought DM Guild was FR stuff only...? Having a quick skim, there's all manner of setting neutral material on there. Eg: revised ranger, epic level handbook, etc?

It's not FR only - it's "no non-FR settings". Setting neutral stuff is fine.

ok, first of all my heart jumped into my throat and stayed there through the whole time I was reading this...while I silently prayed... I knew my little 5 page try wouldn't hit the top 10, but it would have made me cry if it was 'worst'...

having said that, 6 sales in no one has reviewed it on the DMguild site... I even offered it as "Hay if you want to show what I did wrong" to reviewers and still no takes (I was secretly hoping the answer would be it wasn't that bad). I plan on putting out a second one larger about magic items...

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
So crazy idea. People who want reviews should go and review things?

It's not just good faith, but good practice. You get to see what you're competing against and then elevate your work to that standard.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
ok, first of all my heart jumped into my throat and stayed there through the whole time I was reading this...while I silently prayed... I knew my little 5 page try wouldn't hit the top 10, but it would have made me cry if it was 'worst'...

having said that, 6 sales in no one has reviewed it on the DMguild site... I even offered it as "Hay if you want to show what I did wrong" to reviewers and still no takes (I was secretly hoping the answer would be it wasn't that bad). I plan on putting out a second one larger about magic items...

Don't worry. I have years-old products on DTRPG with hundreds or thousands of sales which nobody's ever commented on, rated, or reviewed. Stuff we spent months crafting. Welcome to the scary world of publishing. The deafening silence is intimidating, but keep writing anyway. :)

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Much the same: I have one well-reviewed and one middle-of-the-road. That middle-of-the-road one, though, got several fantastic pieces of feedback, all of which I incorporated into the product and re-released it, along with a major face-lift. No new ratings have come in despite the changes and subsequent purchases, so it's a little frustrating as a creator to see some valid criticism, put the elbow grease in to address it, and...nothing.

But, keeping in mind this is only a few weeks old, that's really not a big deal. There's PLENTY of time for things to get spotted, purchased, and pick up some new ratings, so long as the product has the legs to stand on with regard to getting recommended for whatever role it is hoping to fill.
DTRPG suffers from much the same problem as Steam, in that users (for valid reasons) don't tend to browse very far off the front page. So if you're not currently featured on one of the big landing pages on the DMGuild, it's a safe bet that your sales will drop to a trickle.

Companies on steam work around this problem by availing themselves of the sale promotions that valve offers, and in this way get their older products back on the radar for a week or so every quarter. DTRPG does similar things on its main store, but will they do it for DMGuild authors & customers? That's an interesting thought.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
DTRPG suffers from much the same problem as Steam, in that users (for valid reasons) don't tend to browse very far off the front page. So if you're not currently featured on one of the big landing pages on the DMGuild, it's a safe bet that your sales will drop to a trickle.

Companies on steam work around this problem by availing themselves of the sale promotions that valve offers, and in this way get their older products back on the radar for a week or so every quarter. DTRPG does similar things on its main store, but will they do it for DMGuild authors & customers? That's an interesting thought.

It'll get harder. It's a volume issue. For individual producers, the fewer items in the store overall, the better for them. For the store, the more items overall, the better for them. The best way to mitigate it is to work out some way of marketing the stuff yourself and linking directly to it. Talking about it at places like EN World is a good start, as it's easy and free.

Other than that, plugging away for a long time and slowly but surely building a reputation is hard work, but it's tried and tested.

Sunsword

Adventurer
While we don't know what the sales figures of these things are, here's a point of data.

Item #66 is Teos Abadia's Admantine Chef. James Introcaso tweeted that it has 15 sales (at $4.99 each).

So we can extrapolate a little for those wondering how much they can make.

Item #66 has therefore made (revenue) $74.85. Half of that goes to the creator, so you'd make $37.43. That's at position #66 of roughly 500 products.

Random stupid projection stats which mean nothing, but are fun to play with. #66 puts it #434 from the bottom, or at 86% going up. Assuming #500 makes $0, we can extrapolate that the average product, being #250, makes its creator $20. At least thus far.

That's not too bad - average of $20 profit. Put enough out regularly, you can turn that into a decent sum each month.

I'll share my sales data. I've launched 5 products since launch. I've sold 92 items total for $136.12 (of which I have made $68.06). One of the products is PWYW, so I don't get data for people who download it for free, only for those who pay for it, OneBookShelf is looking in on how to offer me that data.

I can offer a further breakdown if anyone wants it.

A couple other wrinkles, on the DMsGuild site, I'm an Author, not a Publisher. I can't respond directly to a review, only in the Discussion part of a product. Also, I was accused of poor business practices for NOT offering a Preview of my product, when I don't have that tool at my disposal. Finally, I have several people who want to review my product, but as an Author I can't send them a comp copy via the site. I can, of course send them a Gift Certificate. I can also send them a free copy via e-mail, but then they can't post a review.

I am extremely impressed with the tools we have been given and look forward to some improvement that OneBookShelf tells me they are working on. I mean its ONLY been 13 days?

I am learning how important Reviews are and am becoming more ardent about my responsibility as a consumer.

While I take my 2 low review seriously, its an obstacle to have a single review tear your rating down to the bone. However, this is just part of learning a new industry and I hope to use it as motivation to grow as a publisher.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases