DM's Guild: One Week In - The Best & The Worst

The Dungeon Master's Guild has been around for about a week now, and in that time nearly 500 player-created products have been uploaded to the website. It can't be denied that the thing is spurring a blast of creativity. Anyhow, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the most popular items on offer, as well as the highest rated items, which include new archetypes, an Epic Level Handbook, some Forgotten Realms background material, and various monsters and feats.

The Dungeon Master's Guild has been around for about a week now, and in that time nearly 500 player-created products have been uploaded to the website. It can't be denied that the thing is spurring a blast of creativity. Anyhow, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the most popular items on offer, as well as the highest rated items, which include new archetypes, an Epic Level Handbook, some Forgotten Realms background material, and various monsters and feats.

UPDATE: Three of the items listed below have been removed from the store. I've noted them accordingly.

171443.jpg

[h=4]Most Popular Items[/h]
The ten most popular items are as follows. I've listed the price in the last column, and where an item is Pay What You Want (PWYW), I've noted the average contribution. I've no idea what the actual sales figures of these items are, but it's interesting that the first two by Matthew Mercer have 40+ ratings, while the third drops to 7 ratings. Of course, Mercer's work was on there from launch.

1Gunslinger Martial Archetype for FightersMatthew MercerPWYW ($1.64)
2Blood Hunter ClassMatthew MercerPWYW ($1.57)
3Extra Feats (5E)Igor PhoenixRion$1
4DnD 5e Epic Level Handbook [since removed]Gerard Shore, Mark AltfuldischPWYW ($1.63)
5Blood Magic (5E)Joshua RaynackPWYW ($1.25)
6New FeatsAndrew James Woodyard$1
7D&D Denizens: Drow & DridersScott Holden$0.99
8Swordmage ClassJuan Marcano$0.99
9D&D CitizensScott Holden$2.95
10D&D 5th Edition Spell Cards [since removed]Matthew PerkinsPWYW ($2.30)
[h=4]Highest Rated Items[/h]
For highest rated items, I have not included items with fewer than 5 ratings. Most items only have 1-2 ratings, so that took some pecking and hunting!

[h=4]Lowest Rated Items[/h]
It'd be a bit mean to highlight the less well thought of items on the site (so I guess I lied a bit in the article title), but talking in general terms there are 10 1-star items there, and 33 2-star items. That's not too bad out of a selection of nearly 500 products, and implies that the quality on DM's Guild is reasonable. I count 171 items with more than 3-stars, which - when you consider that a lot have not been rated at all - puts the average item above average in quality.

One of WotC's stated aims for DMsG was to spot upcoming new writers. From the above lists, James Introcaso has two items in the top-10 rated list. I'm already aware of him from the excellent Round Table podcast, as well as some of the 5E articles he's written for EN5ider. Scott Holden has two of the most popular items on DMsG, and so could be worth following.

MwaO

Adventurer
I'd note a few things:
One of the issues with reviews is that with 'pay what you want', I believe someone who decided to pay $0 for it can give a review. Especially when there's no context of what was wrong, that tends to create some issues. Or the 1st one bought is at a low price and then that sets the 'average' price paid.

The chart is based on sales/time on store for popularity. Things will naturally drop - something that's sold 20 over 10 days is lower than something that's sold 5 over 2 days when from what I can tell, the 1st is more impressive than the 2nd.

The system is kind of messed up - sometimes I can get a most popular 100 list, and sometimes not. But I find it kind of scary that no Adventurer's League mod is in the top 30.

It is possible to put material in that violates the SRD - the spell cards could have incorporated non-SRD WotC spells, which are out there. And as I think there's a competing paid product spell card which the producer of likely paid money for the rights to produce cards...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Sunsword said:
As an author with 5 products launched and 3 with reviews, feedback is important. Its hard when you get a single, low review. But I've already revised one product and am having multiple people look at a second product based on feedback. A low review, while a stab in the heart, especially an honest review helps you learn and hopefully grow. Its been an interesting 2 weeks.

One of the little annoyances is that this seems to be an amplifier for folks who are already well-regarded, with popular blogs/twitch feeds/etc. They're probably worth the attention, and will hopefully encourage more people to check out more products, but it can feel a little like screaming at the void when you don't already have an audience you're selling to.

That's disheartening, but it's kind of inevitable. Folks buy from people they trust, and most of the DMG's Guild is unknown and untested. It's something that can be tweaked by folks getting out there and buying and reviewing products NOT on the top seller lists - I imagine high ratings on other things will provoke folks to check it out.

Which is a longwinded way for me to say I'm considering giving out free reviewer copies. ;)

Sunsword

Adventurer
Which is a longwinded way for me to say I'm considering giving out free reviewer copies. ;)

This is tricky because, as far I can tell, you have to send them a Gift Certificate, I don't believe you can send them a free copy over DMsGuild and a free e-mail copy won't allow them to rate or review it. But I've already started making this offer.

MwaO

Adventurer
I'll share my sales data. I've launched 5 products since launch. I've sold 92 items total for $136.12 (of which I have made $68.06). One of the products is PWYW, so I don't get data for people who download it for free, only for those who pay for it, OneBookShelf is looking in on how to offer me that data.

Here is mine:
I've sold 49 items for a total of $39.70 (of which I have made $19.85). I'm relatively a new person in terms of being a publisher - mainly I've co-written a couple of Living Campaign mods(LG IUZ8-1 and LFR NETH4-1) which got well-received by their respective campaign bases. And I have a design background, so my formatting is relatively consistent.

It seems interesting - if you can hit the magic button which gets you a sale a day every day of the year, it could easily be worth the time and effort. But I don't know how anyone makes an actual mod work unless they're frighteningly fast or really want to work for a couple of dollars an hour - can you imagine writing a mod which immediately drops off the top 100 list after a day?

zoroaster100

First Post
Is it possible to leave a review and then go back to change it? If not I think that should be an option. I want to give positive reviews for the stuff I bought as it looks great at first glance but I won't know if it truly merits the good review until I use it in game. I'd be more willing to give a preliminary review if I knew I could go back and revise it later.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Here is mine:
I've sold 49 items for a total of $39.70 (of which I have made $19.85). I'm relatively a new person in terms of being a publisher - mainly I've co-written a couple of Living Campaign mods(LG IUZ8-1 and LFR NETH4-1) which got well-received by their respective campaign bases. And I have a design background, so my formatting is relatively consistent.

It seems interesting - if you can hit the magic button which gets you a sale a day every day of the year, it could easily be worth the time and effort. But I don't know how anyone makes an actual mod work unless they're frighteningly fast or really want to work for a couple of dollars an hour - can you imagine writing a mod which immediately drops off the top 100 list after a day?

Since we're sharing...

Two products, one a calendar/campaign tracker, one a rules expansion with tons of working examples for hexcrawling. Both are Pay What You Want.

Calendar sold 20 @ $21.25 (take home $10.63)
Hexcrawling sold 28 @ $54.40 (take home $27.20)

I've got a mildly successful blog where I write about more than just D&D, but both of these things had test-beds there; the final versions are SIGNIFICANTLY revised and rebuilt from the ground-up to be better, and thus why I feel like I can maybe get a buck or two thrown at me for them ;-) But ultimately, that *does* mean there are people out there who don't see much value in these, which is completely fine (thus the PWYW).

One's FR specific, the other is not, and in fact, features a custom hex map (relatively small area) and 5 expansive but custom-built encounter tables. That might work against it for not being FR specific, maybe. I dunno. I'd be curious about that (the original test-bed version on the blog *did* feature some FR specific examples, somewhat ironically).

I plan to publish an adventure soon, with FR specific setting material. It'll be interesting to see how that fares against non-adventure material.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
As a consumer only, I will be reviewing the one product I bought. But as it is an adventure I'm waiting till I finish it first. My players are about halfway through. I'd hope more consumers will review once they have had a chance to actually use what they got - it hasn't been open long.

LostandDamned

First Post
By being free, or essentially free, my default assumption is that the creator feels it has no value.

I strongly disagree with this assumption, I find quite often if a creator gives away a product for free, even if it's only a few pages long, it's a good incentive for people to take a look at his/her work.

If the layouts good, the art's ok but most of all, if the writing is great, that author is far more likely to then get me to pay good hard earned money of mine on a bigger work of theirs.

Thats the true value of Free Downloads by any author.

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
Is it possible to leave a review and then go back to change it? If not I think that should be an option. I want to give positive reviews for the stuff I bought as it looks great at first glance but I won't know if it truly merits the good review until I use it in game. I'd be more willing to give a preliminary review if I knew I could go back and revise it later.

You can delete your prior review and re-review it, assuming it works the same as DriveThru/RPGnow.

Remove ads

Remove ads