DM's Guild: One Week In - The Best & The Worst

The Dungeon Master's Guild has been around for about a week now, and in that time nearly 500 player-created products have been uploaded to the website. It can't be denied that the thing is spurring a blast of creativity. Anyhow, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the most popular items on offer, as well as the highest rated items, which include new archetypes, an Epic Level Handbook, some Forgotten Realms background material, and various monsters and feats.

UPDATE: Three of the items listed below have been removed from the store. I've noted them accordingly.

171443.jpg

[h=4]Most Popular Items[/h]
The ten most popular items are as follows. I've listed the price in the last column, and where an item is Pay What You Want (PWYW), I've noted the average contribution. I've no idea what the actual sales figures of these items are, but it's interesting that the first two by Matthew Mercer have 40+ ratings, while the third drops to 7 ratings. Of course, Mercer's work was on there from launch.

1Gunslinger Martial Archetype for FightersMatthew MercerPWYW ($1.64)
2Blood Hunter ClassMatthew MercerPWYW ($1.57)
3Extra Feats (5E)Igor PhoenixRion$1
4DnD 5e Epic Level Handbook [since removed]Gerard Shore, Mark AltfuldischPWYW ($1.63)
5Blood Magic (5E)Joshua RaynackPWYW ($1.25)
6New FeatsAndrew James Woodyard$1
7D&D Denizens: Drow & DridersScott Holden$0.99
8Swordmage ClassJuan Marcano$0.99
9D&D CitizensScott Holden$2.95
10D&D 5th Edition Spell Cards [since removed]Matthew PerkinsPWYW ($2.30)
[h=4]Highest Rated Items[/h]
For highest rated items, I have not included items with fewer than 5 ratings. Most items only have 1-2 ratings, so that took some pecking and hunting!

[h=4]Lowest Rated Items[/h]
It'd be a bit mean to highlight the less well thought of items on the site (so I guess I lied a bit in the article title), but talking in general terms there are 10 1-star items there, and 33 2-star items. That's not too bad out of a selection of nearly 500 products, and implies that the quality on DM's Guild is reasonable. I count 171 items with more than 3-stars, which - when you consider that a lot have not been rated at all - puts the average item above average in quality.

One of WotC's stated aims for DMsG was to spot upcoming new writers. From the above lists, James Introcaso has two items in the top-10 rated list. I'm already aware of him from the excellent Round Table podcast, as well as some of the 5E articles he's written for EN5ider. Scott Holden has two of the most popular items on DMsG, and so could be worth following.

Reynard

Legend
You can. Presumably, they didn't want to keep selling the old version if they were making updates, so they pulled it until it's done.

Especially if there was something that broke the license since no one is required to update their files. The fewer ones out there that do not conform, the better.

Miladoon

First Post
Anyone wonder if a writer's syndicate could come into the DMsG and corner the market? You know, puff up each others ratings and murderlize their competition with low ratings.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Anyone wonder if a writer's syndicate could come into the DMsG and corner the market? You know, puff up each others ratings and murderlize their competition with low ratings.

They don't on DTRPG. If it happened, the site would simply change the ratings rules. Lots of effort for something that could be nullified by the site admins with a couple of clicks. DMsG is just the same DTRPG site that's been around for 16 years now. Same site, different skin.

Miladoon

First Post
They don't on DTRPG. If it happened, the site would simply change the ratings rules. Lots of effort for something that could be nullified by the site admins with a couple of clicks. DMsG is just the same DTRPG site that's been around for 16 years now. Same site, different skin.

I wonder if it would be so simple. I predict that there will be claims to turf, and not a simple way to root that out.

Just a thought.

Miladoon

First Post
Well setting the Community Content Agreement aside for a sec, one of the differences would be that the content is limited to the Forgotten Realms. There is less Lebensraum. Groups could get together to protect their borders if they felt threatened.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well setting the Community Content Agreement aside for a sec, one of the differences would be that the content is limited to the Forgotten Realms. There is less Lebensraum. Groups could get together to protect their borders if they felt threatened. You ask, Groups?
Well, they are forming.

That paragraph is kinda hard to parse. Are you saying you know of such syndicates? Who are deliberately downrating other products?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases