BEOWULF Into The Shield Lands

Water Bob

Adventurer
Anybody check this out? It started last Saturday on Esquire. Yeah, I know. I had to look up that channel, too. I don't think I've ever landed on it before.

The new series, Beowulf, to my amazement, is pretty damn good! Now, it's no Game of Thrones. Don't get your expectations too high. And, although it looks fine, I can tell its budget is nowhere near what HBO uses for GoT. But, I really liked the first episode. I'm going to stick with it.

I like the take on the story--how they've changed it up a bit. And, I really like Grendel. They've made him both a fierce, scary monster (sorta looks like a big Bugbear), but they also show you some glimpses of his side of things. He's not just a two-dimensional monster. He's a being with thoughts and feelings. A tragic figure. That's not easy to do with a CGI character--to display that kind of emotion, but I think they pulled it off. I found myself feeling sorry for Grendel in parts.

Check it out. For a short description, I'd call the show (from the History Channel) Vikings with a touch of the D&D vibe.

BEOWULF Into The Shield Lands on the Esquire Network

I'm late to the thread but I just started watching Beowulf and I am enjoying it quite a bit. It's no Game of Thrones, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It lacks the ginormous HBO budget but it also lacks the dark, nihilistic tone too. And I find that I can enjoy it on its own merits. The "monsters" are unique and have as much dimension, if not more so, than the people.

I love the Shieldlands setting! It would be awesome to see a book/write-up of the geography and races.

Remove ads