AL VS LFR of 4th and why I'm so disappointed

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
So the Battle Interactive in which we saved Mystra was only true at the tables there.
If we are thinking of the same BI, Winter Fantasy's version saw the Epic table execute Shar for her crimes against Mystra. They got a standing O from the rest of the tables. (Which may say something about public opinion of the Spellplague.)

aarduini

Explorer
Except it isn't -- genasi were introduced in Planescape and shoe-horned into the Realms in Third Edition. And as tila notes, pretty much every Fourth Edition change has been reversed by the Sundering, making most things from LFR irrelevant to the current edition.

Genasi swordmages with Greenflame blade are GONE. Maybe not forever, but certainly for now.

Here we go. Page 156 of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide for 3.5 second column under regional history it clearly talks about the how the region was once ruled by Djinn. Genasi are pretty much to Djinn what Tieflings are to Devils and that makes this a region rich for genasi lore.

Page 84 of the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide for 4th edition under People of Calimshan "Genasi now comprise over half of Calimshan's population".

Aslo, Calimshan did not suffer from the colliding of Abeir and Faerune. The Blue Fire shattered the Calimemnon Crystal releasing the trapped Djinn. As far was we know, it may still be as it was during 4th edition.

Debate over.

This thread went a different direction after I left it, so I'm not going to address all the other stuff that was said. It sounds like you guys have a lot of history with running the organized play for wizards. Congrats on that. I've mostly enjoyed my Organized play experience with both 4th and 5th. I was addressing very specific things and stating my dissatisfaction, so I would be heard. You guys may think I'm just complaining to complain, but that's just something you have to deal with when you are the admin. You're the only people I got to bitch to.

Its your approach I don't like, and unfortunately it doesn't look like anything is going to change with that.

Thank you for your participation and with keeping it civil.

aarduini

Explorer
Greg,
The OP is saying he likes the interactives from after you left LFR.

I don't understand this statement. I'm sorry I don't keep up on who is who with the writers. I never said anything about the interactives after someone left. I played 4th edition from start to finish.

mflayermonk

First Post
I don't understand this statement. I'm sorry I don't keep up on who is who with the writers. I never said anything about the interactives after someone left. I played 4th edition from start to finish.

I was referring to the local community interactives (with Con only certs) you talked about here:

We were able to fill the gaps in mods by creating our own adventures. One of our DMs made a full campaign that was LFR legal just by combining my realms and published mods. It was very immersive and very fun.

Story ARCs were capped at conventions with battle interactive. The regional story arcs usually finished with a large scale battle interactive involving 6-12 tables, and they were playable at the LOCAL cons. They were very immersive, very well run and extremely fun. They usually involved some con only certs as well.

Mirtek

Hero
No the AL is canon in the Moonsea, so if we kill a guy, he doesn't show up in a novel two years later. If we set our entire story in a city, we don't need to worry about the video game burning it down tomorrow. The separation of stories lets everything stay on story.
One would hope so, but after how they already managed to mess up the timeline in the Drizzt novels vs. the hardcovers and AL and how Erin described her "briefing" for her part in the RoD storyline over at Candlekeep, it seems either all of WotC's words about how they would take more care with the canonity were either empty promises they never intended to keep or they're just incompetent.

There are 381 Metropolitan Statistical Areas in the United States. If we take a generous estimate and say that the Bay Area is at the high end of average, that gives us roughly 75,000 players in the US. The real number is almost certainly lower. And while AL is played in other areas around the world, it would be a stretch for me to say that over twice as many players exist outside the US as within it, as much of the material for AL is only available in English.
An optimisitc guess would be that only ~50% of D&D players are US based, but probably way more than that. I guess it's close than 70-80% in the USA and the rest scattered outside of the USA.

Unfortunately I couldn't think of any Con in Germany being able to field 70-105 AL players, heck 30 AL players would be a huge success for D&D
And thanks for confirming that the version of Calimshan you're referring to is the one that only exists in your own mind.
Actually it's the 4e version, where they went "Surprise, most of the humans have been Genasi in hiding all along and now tore of their masks once their elemental masters returned"

but the ability to play two or even three farm-designed MyRealms in the same time as you played a single regular mod meant that you could do some serious farming.
How would you do "farming"? You could not pick any more items than your found items slots and you played more adventures than you had found item slots in any case. You also had the minimum XP award, so even if someone wrote 30 min MyRealms, you would end up with the same XP as having played a 4h MyRealm or standard adventure.

Last edited:

tila

First Post
If we are thinking of the same BI, Winter Fantasy's version saw the Epic table execute Shar for her crimes against Mystra. They got a standing O from the rest of the tables. (Which may say something about public opinion of the Spellplague.)

Yep. Same one. I thought it was awesome as well. Fantastic. Too bad not Canon.

Pickles III

First Post
An optimisitc guess would be that only ~50% of D&D players are US based, but probably way more than that. I guess it's close than 70-80% in the USA and the rest scattered outside of the USA.

Unfortunately I couldn't think of any Con in Germany being able to field 70-105 AL players, heck 30 AL players would be a huge success for D&D

My F not so LGS gets 60 player every week for AL but I am sure that is several times any other in the UK. I expect this means they could run a con & get an Interactive.

I have no idea about overall numbers though I expect the US will have a huge majority of AL players as it is set up for gaming stores which are still less common here.

Coredump

Explorer
I think people are looking at the 'extra content' the wrong way.

I play AL.... through that I have access to ~30 short adventures every year to play in a public space where I can drop in or out as desired. My PCs can be played at any AL game in various stores or Cons as I see fit. Those same PCs can also play in any of the hardcopy published adventures.

For me, thats a lot, and I am happy playing them and playing in the League.

Now, *in addition* to all that.... if I come across an Admin, or go to certain Cons, there is *extra* content that I may also get to play. *BONUS TIME*

None of this effects my enjoyment of the adventures I already have access to. If I don't go to any cons.... it doesn't matter if this extra content exists or not. I still had fun playing last Wednesday..... Still plan on having fun next Wednesday. Nothing changes that just because some other person, in some other place, gets to play an adventure that I will never play.

I think its cool that there is content making the Cons 'special'.... I like that they get premieres, and one day (when my kids are older) I may get to one to play an Epic. Or maybe not... but whether I do or not, doesn't change the fun I am having in the meantime.

aarduini

Explorer
I think people are looking at the 'extra content' the wrong way.

I play AL.... through that I have access to ~30 short adventures every year to play in a public space where I can drop in or out as desired. My PCs can be played at any AL game in various stores or Cons as I see fit. Those same PCs can also play in any of the hardcopy published adventures.

For me, thats a lot, and I am happy playing them and playing in the League.

Now, *in addition* to all that.... if I come across an Admin, or go to certain Cons, there is *extra* content that I may also get to play. *BONUS TIME*

None of this effects my enjoyment of the adventures I already have access to. If I don't go to any cons.... it doesn't matter if this extra content exists or not. I still had fun playing last Wednesday..... Still plan on having fun next Wednesday. Nothing changes that just because some other person, in some other place, gets to play an adventure that I will never play.

I think its cool that there is content making the Cons 'special'.... I like that they get premieres, and one day (when my kids are older) I may get to one to play an Epic. Or maybe not... but whether I do or not, doesn't change the fun I am having in the meantime.

Yes, but it does affect you if you are interested in completing the story line. If you don't go to a big con, you will never get to complete the storyline of liberating Phlan from the Dragon. That matters to me.

Remove ads