[Feb 2016] What Are You Reading?

Jhaelen

First Post
Yesterday, I finished 'Jack Glass' by Adam Roberts. It stayed an entertaining read right until the (somewhat expected but still) unsatisfying end (to be continued...?), but I had too many nitpicks to call it a masterpiece.

Today I started reading 'End of the World Blues' by Jon Courtenay Grimwood.

I keep meaning to give that series a try.

Currently reading The Alloy of Law, in Sanderson's Mistborn series. Really enjoying the advanced timeline from the end of the previous trilogy.

I'm halfway through "Burning Tower" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, the latest in their "The Magic Goes Away" series.

Johnathan

And onto Empire of Imagination, the Gary Gygax biography. So far, so good. That it’s written more like a novel than a biography is a little weird at first, but it sounds like the author really did his research.

Richards

Legend
I just started The Ghosts of Sleath by James Herbert. An English Ghost Hunter checks out rumored hauntings in the small English village of Sleath, and according to the back cover it seems like he'll be getting all the proof he's looking for and then some. I'm only a few chapters in, but it's good so far.

Johnathan

Nellisir

Hero
I read The Girl With All The Gifts, by M.R Carey (aka Mike Carey) yesterday. It's really, really excellent. The interview with the author in the back mentions Never Let Me Go as a comparison, but there's a much stronger similarity to I Am Legend. They're both relevant comparions though. Definitely recommend. 5/5

I also read We Claim These Stars, by Poul Anderson, which was surprisingly good. 4/5

And finally finished The Day The World Came To Gander 3/5

Edit: The Day The World Came To Gander was good, just not amazing. There were some cool moments (hats off to Canadian Tire, the management of which gave the local store carte blanche to give away everything and buy anything they didn't have and give that away) but just wasn't fascinating. It was people being decent to each other.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
"The Shepherd's Crown" was good, though a little rough in places. Though as the afterword notes, Pratchett had 'finished' the book at the time of his death but perhaps had not really finished it - he would probably have spent some more time polishing it up before publication.

But, in many ways, this was a perfect last novel to go out on.

I also raced through "Shada" over the weekend, which was a fun little read. Gareth Roberts was obviously enjoying himself emulating Douglas Adams' style. It did remind me that the classic Who did tend to love to use utterly-inescapable-and-yet-easily-resolved cliffhangers, though.

Next up will be "Pirate's Prophecy", the latest Pathfinder Tale, and the third starring Torius Vin. I enjoyed its predecessor very much, so am hopeful for this one, too. And then the next is "Breaking the Bones of Hell", Pathfinder #102.

Remove ads