DMs Guild 5e OGL/DMs Guild FAQ from DriveThrough's Scott Holden

Scott Holden, from DriveThroughRPG (who are also partners with Wizards in the DMs Guild), sent the following email yesterday to all publishers, clearing some doubts regarding what you can publish under each licence and how exactly they are different.

I thought it was a pretty good summary of the most common points of confusion, so I'm taking the liberty of replicating it here in case there are any prospective authors.

Scott Holden wrote:

How is DMs Guild different from the Open Game License (OGL)?

The Open Game License and the Dungeon Masters Guild are two distinct and separate things.

Under the DMs Guild program, you can publish D&D material that either

1.- has no setting or
2.- uses the Forgotten Realms setting.

Under the Open Game License, you can typically publish material that

1.- has no setting or
2.- uses your own original setting; and
3.- contains only your own content or that found in the System Reference Document.

When you publish material that has no setting, then the DMs Guild program allows you to use the entire D&D 5th edition rules, not just the subset found in the SRD. It also allows you to sell that material on the DMsGuild.com marketplace.

If you’re still not sure about the distinction, check the table below to see if that helps.

I want to...OGLDMs Guild
...design content using fifth edition rules for D&DYesYes
...publish my original campaign world using fifth edition rulesYesNo
...print and sell my fifth edition D&D product on my ownYesNo
...publish content for the Forgotten RealmsNoYes
...sell my product in the official D&D online marketplaceNoYes
...have my content rated by the largest network of D&D playersNoYes
...have my content considered for additional publication by Wizards NoYes
...have my content considered for inclusion in Wizards marketingNoYes
...have my content considered for inclusion in digital gamesNoYes

Can I release 5E products for the DMs Guild, and then separately release different 5E products under the OGL?

Yes. They are two separate programs. You can manage your DMs Guild content from your Account page on DMsGuild.com and then also use that same OneBookShelf customer account to create a publisher account on DriveThruRPG, separately managing your OGL products from your Publisher Hub there.

Please do not use your normal Publisher Hub to set up new DMs Guild titles.

Can I release the same products on both DMs Guild and on DriveThruRPG?

Any content created for the DMs Guild, which is completely separate from your other publishing efforts, must remain exclusive to DMs Guild. It cannot be listed anywhere else — not even on DriveThruRPG.com — and will not be considered part of your publisher account (though it will be part of your “My Content” on the new site).

You won’t be able to cross-list other 5E content (i.e., your other published OGL products) on the DMs Guild site as they are not created for the DMs Guild program.

In my DMs Guild title, can I use creatures like the beholder and mind flayer that the OGL lists as “product identity”?

Yes. Product identity exclusions apply only to publishing under the OGL.

Product identity has no meaning under the DMs Guild program.

I don’t see anything that would stop me from publishing a Greyhawk or Dark Sun product on DMs Guild. Can I?

For now, at least, DMs Guild is limited to Forgotten Realms only, although you can also publish anything for fifth edition that

1.- is generic enough to be used in Forgotten Realms without conversion or effort from the DM, and
2.- doesn’t explicitly use anything related to another official Wizards setting.

For example, you can mention Forgotten Realms deities or even say something like “Azuth, Mystra, or another god of magic in your setting,” but you can’t mention Boccob, Vecna, Aureon, Lunitari, or any other god or goddess from another official D&D setting.

We trust that other settings will be opened up as time goes on, though!

I have a new game setting I’ve developed. Can I publish it to DMs Guild?

No. The DMs Guild site is geared toward setting-neutral and Forgotten Realms content only.

However, if you have a campaign setting of your own you want to sell, that would fall under the OGL and be perfect for publishing via your publisher account on DriveThruRPG!

Does Wizards own any unique IP that I create in my DMs Guild publications?

Wizards does not own any of the unique IP that you create in your DMs Guild publications, no. Wizards does own the IP that they contribute, plus the DMs Guild agreement grants Wizards and other DMs Guild authors a license to use your IP.

That said, if your work merits incorporation into canon, Wizards will contact you about purchasing your IP outright.

Can I create and sell content for older D&D editions on DMs Guild?

Sorry, no — fifth edition content only, please.

Can I copy [some 5E rules information] from the 5E core rulebooks into my DMs Guild title?

You can include things like summary stat blocks of monsters from the Monster Manual in your adventure. Similarly, you can include spell effects and such as needed to make running your adventure easy on DMs. Often, though, it’s just as easy on the DM if you refer her to the Monster Manual or other core rulebook instead.

In short, avoid copying large sections of Wizards titles. Stick to summary information that's needed, but not easily referenced.

Can I convert [any old classic D&D title] from earlier editions to 5E and publish it on DMs Guild?

In general, the answer is yes. You can convert magic items, monsters, character classes, spells, etc. from earlier edition books to fifth edition and publish your conversion at DMsGuild.com.

There are two exceptions:

1.- Do not convert content from settings not yet released via the DMs Guild program.
2.- No direct, full-scale conversions of classic adventures. If you want to publish something based around a classic adventure like Against the Giants or Queen of the Demonweb Pits, then you could consider options like the following:
2.1.- a distinctly new 5e adventure that is perhaps a prequel or sequel to the classic adventure content;
2.2.- a conversion guide for someone who already owns the classic adventure — i.e., brief encounter-by- encounter conversion notes, with any 5E stats required. Augmenting your notes with ideas for setting the adventure in the Forgotten Realms would be a plus; or
2.3.- a unique take in the spirit of the classic adventure. (Yeah, Acererak’s tomb is horrific, but what about that other lich’s place?)

Can I publish comic books, novels, computer games, etc., on DMs Guild?

For now, we ask that you publish roleplaying game titles only, please.

Giant2005

First Post
Under the DMs Guild program, you can publish D&D material that either

1.- has no setting or
2.- uses the Forgotten Realms setting.

I'm glad you posted this. Until now I was mistakenly under the impression that only option 2 was possible. I have an idea about some content that clearly falls under option 1, so it is quite a relief to hear.

Remove ads