Dwarvin Polearm build--HELP PLEASE

asjwolverine

First Post
I need help!!! I am working on a mountain dwarf polearm fighter that I want to make as powerful as possible. I have decided to go the battlemaster path (if this is the right choice). I want advice on how to taylor my character the best way possible. I am playing 5e. Homebrews would work too. Just want help

Last edited:

Polearm mastery first. Great weapon fightin second. Srength as high as possible. Heavy armor, high con. Wisdom next.
Trip attack as maneuver. Maybe something to raise AC and mobility as needed. You don't want to overload you reactions.
With standard array:

Str 15 +2
Dex 12
Con 14+2
Int 8
Wis 13
Cha 10

AC 16 or 17 if fighting style defense
Attack bonus +5
Damage 1d10+3 reroll 1 and 2 if fighting style great weapon
reach 10 ft.
HP 13.

You really come online at level 4 though when you add polearm mastery. Officially you reroll 1 and 2s on your off hand attack which is quite a damage increase.

Level 5 two attacks with main attack and level 6 either +1 Str and maybe +1 wis or heavy armor instead if you need better attack and defense or if you just need more damage and like to gamble it is great weapon master. Although to really make it work your group has to support you.

Kithas

First Post
Great Weapon master is honestly sub-par. I have it and I rarely find myeself using it or it being helpful. On paper it looks great but in practice not so much.

I'll start with some questions;
What role do you want to play in combat?

What are your stats/how are you getting them(rolled,array,point-buy)

What do you want to do outside combat?

What does the rest of your party look like?

As for general advice here's a few things I wish I had known about polearm fighters when I started mine over a year ago.
1. You are not the best candidate for the tank.
----Not having a shield and not being able to use Opp attacks within 5' makes it hard for you to protect others well as once people enter your 10' reach they can go wherever they please. Sentinel helps with this but it doesn't give you as much control as you normally would have.
2. You are not tough enough to stay on the front line.
---Prepare to get hit and go down A LOT. I have +1 plate and a splash in barbarian to be able to rage and I still get hit all the time and drop pretty often. Given my party doesn't have a real tank and my con is low(another mistake).
3. Don't neglect your Constitution score.
---Starting as dwarf will definitely help you here. But in general remember that you need to be alive to deal damage. Trust me that 20 str is tempting but if you still have a 13 con you aren't going to be very effective into the mid-game.
4. Tripping attack is overrated.
---Sure it gives you advantage and can be very nice for hits 2-4 but it doesn't help you control the field. Pushing, Commanders, Goading, and Menacing are far better. I do use tripping often but it wouldn't be my first pick if I could go back. Remember that being prone gives disadvantage to your ranged allies, which can make focus-firing difficult.
5. Don't waste all your dice on Riposte.
---Riposte is a great maneuver and can up your damage output considerably. That said you only have a few dice per long rest and it doesn't give you any added benefit like pushing or goading. I suggest only riposte-ing when you think you are close to killing your target/ending the combat.
6.Commander's Strike is awesome.
---I know I know, your bonus action and one attack is a steep cost. But if you have a ranged rogue or a ranger(or both) in your party they can use sneak attack/colossus slayer on their reaction, hitting massively harder than you would have in those 2 hits. I have a ranger in my group and on an average commander's strike he hits for 30+(we are near 20). It is well worth it.

asjwolverine

First Post
str=18
dex=14
con=15
int=14
wis=14
cha=12
These were rolled-got really lucky
There are two fighters in our group. two thieves, a cleric, and sorcerer and a ranger
Seems that I am the one taking the damage. Somehow our thieves seem to do the most damage which is confusing
I am just turning 3rd lvl.
I took the polearm master feat and was thinking battlemaster.
not sure which way to go now-want to be tough and commanding in battle. the rest of my group is relatively new to the game. I have played a long time but never this edition and not this type of class. worth multi-classing?

asjwolverine

First Post
I see in posts a lot of people take heavy armor feat. why is that? and I took defensive fighting style for the AC bonus. Why are you suggesting wisdom?

Kithas

First Post
str=18
dex=14
con=15
int=14
wis=14
cha=12
These were rolled-got really lucky
There are two fighters in our group. two thieves, a cleric, and sorcerer and a ranger
Seems that I am the one taking the damage. Somehow our thieves seem to do the most damage which is confusing
I am just turning 3rd lvl.
I took the polearm master feat and was thinking battlemaster.
not sure which way to go now-want to be tough and commanding in battle. the rest of my group is relatively new to the game. I have played a long time but never this edition and not this type of class. worth multi-classing?

In this edition rogues are much more damage dealers in combat, they will likely always be on par or out-damage you.
People like heavy armor master because it ups your str and makes you more survivable. It is a good feat but for you I would take a +1str and +1 con first so that you get a 16 con and a 20 str with ham. Or just 18 str and 18 con, being the one taking damage having more health will keep everyone alive longer. In 5e a large majority of your health comes from your con score, not your class. If you are looking for even more beef 1-3 levels of Barbarian meshes with this build nicely, Rage doesn't interfere with anything you are doing, and Reckless attacks is really nice for when you need to put the hurt on. Get to level 6 before multiclassing is my advice, this gives you 2 asi's and extra attack.

Kithas

First Post
Except wearing heavy armor...
Rage doesn't interfere with heavy armor...
To be clear I ddin't mean Character levels 1-3 I meant later on, most likely after level 6.

As for maneuvers, my favorites are goading, commander's, precision, menacing, riposte, pushing, tripping, rally, and sweeping in that order.

Remove ads